Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were the "house names" in your school?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
At Merton House (junior wing of St. Trinians) we had:

Chaucer (Red) - my house
Shakespeare (Yellow)
Tennyson (Blue)

At my brief spell in a proper school (Chailey) I recall the houses being named after beacons or bits of Sussex downland. I was in Chanctonbury (yellow) and think we also had Firle & Ditchling, plus another whose name escapes me.

At boarding school (senior branch of St. Trinians) the houses were called after notable women so we had:
Bronte (my house)
Curie (all nice, all dim)
Hess (reserved for the Chosen Ones)

Of the last, I got into a deal of trouble when innocently asking why one of the houses was named after Rudolph Hess and, as a result, held Hitler Youth meetings. It turned out that the Hess in question was the pianist Dame Myra who was allegedly a chum of our truly horrible headmistress.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Brunel = pink (Art, Design, Metalwork etc.)
Faraday = yellow (Sciences)
Newton = red (Mathematics)
Tyler = GREEN (Humanities)
Shelley = DARK BLUE (English)
Mansion = LIGHT BLUE (Languages)

I was close :dunce: in my defence I never paid that much attention

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A
Of the last, I got into a deal of trouble when innocently asking why one of the houses was named after Rudolph Hess and, as a result, held Hitler Youth meetings. It turned out that the Hess in question was the pianist Dame Myra who was allegedly a chum of our truly horrible headmistress.

:laugh::laugh:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
65 to 72 - 1.6 (Charlie Law), 2.3 (Sammy Turner!!), 3.5(My memory is fading), 4.29(It was a long time ago), 5.40(John Cunningham), L(vi)23(Jack Milford?), U(vi)23(Jack Milford?)

Many unhappy memories of Harry Alt & George Ely though :angry:

Sammy Turner was before my time; I struggle to remember all my form teachers though. Harry Allt was a bastard - as was Jack Milford - but I have fond memories of George Eley; he spent a lot of time with me when I was struggling with maths until I cracked it - maths then became my best subject.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rydon Intermediate it was:

Downs - Green
Arun - Blue
Chancton - Red
Weald - Yellow

We had them at Steyning Grammar, can't remember what they were called, think one may have been Holland and another was named after a bloke who pushed his mother around in a wheelbarrow, but I can't remember his name...didn't use houses at all as far as I can recollect.

Steyning Grammar was:

Chancton (Blue - my house)
Cuthman (Green)
Cissa (Yellow)
Holland (Red).

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Sammy Turner was before my time; I struggle to remember all my form teachers though. Harry Allt was a bastard - as was Jack Milford - but I have fond memories of George Eley; he spent a lot of time with me when I was struggling with maths until I cracked it - maths then became my best subject.

I'm probably being a a bit unfair on George Eley as I only had him, in the first 3 years, for PE ("Up against the wall bars" he'd scream, and then fire medicine balls at us with all his strength, and for swimming where he'd smack us on the head with his long pole for encouragement:(. Harry "The Screaming Skull" Allt was a vicious bastard who hit the kid behind me so hard, once, that he was knocked unconscious.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm probably being a a bit unfair on George Eley as I only had him, in the first 3 years, for PE ("Up against the wall bars" he'd scream, and then fire medicine balls at us with all his strength, and for swimming where he'd smack us on the head with his long pole for encouragement:(. Harry "The Screaming Skull" Allt was a vicious bastard who hit the kid behind me so hard, once, that he was knocked unconscious.

This has moved away from houses but if there's a most vicious teacher thread, I'd think you'd go a long way to beat The Mad Axeman Allt; an unrepetant sadist; he'd probably be in prison if he was teaching now.

Rightly feared by all Varndean boys of a certain generation.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was in Cliffe & we had to wear green rugby shirts for all sports lessons. Other houses I remember were Firle, Kingston.........f*** me that's all I can remember, well it was over 30 years ago.

Lewes Priory; I f***ing hated it.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
having come from st albans private school we named our houses after old pupils. they were:

renfrew (red)
hampson (yellow)
marsh (blue)
hawkins (black)

stephen hawkins is the only one anyone had ever heard of and that was mine! it was all a load of bollocks anyway and remember vividly skipping sports day to smoke drugs at home.
:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here