Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were jcl's called in the 70's

deckchair

Jan 23, 2009
wasnt it called jumping on the bandwagon? and most jumped off again pretty sharpish after the cup final.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
wasnt it called jumping on the bandwagon? and most jumped off again pretty sharpish after the cup final.
Yeah, bandwaggon jumpers, fairweather fans, there were a number of terms to match the more modern 'Johnny-Come-Latelys'. Quite a few people come and watch a club when it's doing well and/or playing big games and don't come and watch when it's doing badly. I'm amazed that this simple fact can still apparently exorcise simple minds ...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually I do remember them being called 'the wankers'. When we were playing Norwich in the quarter final a mate couldn't get in. There were quite a few of them and someone started to complain saying "They're all in there aren't they? The wankers. The ones who've only been coming since we've been winning."

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I remember them being called "butterflies" in the 80's, referring to the fact that you only saw them on sunny days.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Whether you like them or not, we need lots of them to get some passion for in their life and stick with the club for good. Not all of them will of course and we will see that when we eventually do have a genuinely bad season (but for all the inconsistency of play so far, and the Palace game aside, you cannot say that this has been a bad season).

Back in the early 80s I was just developing my passion for the club and given that I only attended 5 games in 82/83 (4 Cup games including Semi Final and Final and the Stoke City match where you needed an attendance voucher to get priority for further cup games), you would have considered me and my family to be 'butterflies'.

Good job I did go though as I got completely hooked and as a season ticket holder ever since I have helped in a small way to keep the club going throughout the 80s and 90s decline and have been there through similarly small crowds at Withdean.

Some of these so called JCLs are hopefully just starting out as 'lifers'. More power to them!

I just wish some of them would shut the f*** up with their whining whenever one bad pass is played. punish: I've witnessed and forgotten more bad players between 1994 and 1999 than they will ever see, so they should eat their fricking pies and pipe down

:moo:
Whether you like them or not, we need lots of them to get some passion for in their life and stick with the club for good. Not all of them will of course and we will see that when we eventually do have a genuinely bad season (but for all the inconsistency of play so far, and the Palace game aside, you cannot say that this has been a bad season).

Back in the early 80s I was just developing my passion for the club and given that I only attended 5 games in 82/83 (4 Cup games including Semi Final and Final and the Stoke City match where you needed an attendance voucher to get priority for further cup games), you would have considered me and my family to be 'butterflies'.

Good job I did go though as I got completely hooked and as a season ticket holder ever since I have helped in a small way to keep the club going throughout the 80s and 90s decline and have been there through similarly small crowds at Withdean.

Some of these so called JCLs are hopefully just starting out as 'lifers'. More power to them!

I just wish some of them would shut the f*** up with their whining whenever one bad pass is played. punish: I've witnessed and forgotten more bad players between 1994 and 1999 than they will ever see, so they should eat their fricking pies and pipe down
:moo:

another jcl:facepalm:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I'll go with what Half Man Half Biscuit brilliantly call them: 'The Commodores'. As in once, twice, three times a season......

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There wasn't usually a problem as most games it was just turn up & pay and I loved when Albion could get far higher gates than other clubs of our standard. Any winning run used to see crowds swell but then football was not too expencive and could be a spur of the moment thing.

I don't begrudge those who are spending now and so many have been hooked by the Amex.

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
We are no different to other clubs.
Was talking to a Middlesbrough fan on Saturday. There best gate this season is lower than our worst & they are 4th! However my mate said that they have 10,000 (fans?) who will watch them in the Premiership but not the Championship!

If we get to the promised land I suspect those extra 8000 seats will be used.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Butterflies !! and used to delight in kicking them off ' our ' stancion in the North Stand regularly over the years !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here