Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was your favourite season watching the Albion?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I've just celebrated my 25th anniversary of watching the club. It set me thinking about what my favourite season was and I came to the conclusion that it was definitely 1990-91. It was a rollercoaster, never seen so many goals in one season. Byrne and Small up front, a shocking defence, 6-1 batterings, 3-2 wins, a trip to Anfield and Wembley and that never to be forgotten play-off semi final win against Millwall.

The Championships were exciting but somehow not a patch on that season.

What is your nomination?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That season is my favourite too.

The Anfield trip was AMAZING as a 10 year old. Although I had already been struck down with Albionitis a couple of years earlier I think my blood officially turned blue and white that year.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
sinse i watched the albion weve had 3 promotions and a relegation so its tough! div 3 promotion was great though as it was my first year. im a good luck charm!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A close run thing. Can't decide between 78/79 when we got promoted to Div 1 and 90/91 as above.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
78/79 was class

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
yes , defo 90-91,

Liverpool in the F.A cup,
beating Portsmouth 3-2 at home
beating Newcastle 4-2 at home, brian wade scoring all 4 goals!!
beating West Ham 1-0 , byrne scoring
the play-off against millwall,
then the Final at wembly

as a 16 yerar old I was loving it!!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
for me it was 2002-2003. i was too young to remember the last time we played all the big temas like wolves, forrest, so to see us go to places like that was great. and the fact we beat teams like that as well once coppell was in charge made it so much better

although this season could be better!

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Think I might have a watch of the 90/91 season video tonight! Some great moments but also some downright shit ones.

Getting beat 6-1 at Oldham
Losing to 4th Division Northampton in the League Cup
Getting beat 4-2 at home by Middlesbrough.
Getting thrashed by Sheffield Wednesday

Guess those low points just made the season more exciting. You never really knew which side would turn up. The one that managed to lose 2-1 at home to Port Vale, or the one that fought back from 2-0 down at Anfield.

I love watching the North Stand go mental on that video. They always seemed to leave the gate open behind the goal, resulting in constant pitch invasions!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
90/91 for me too. Unbelievable that we only averaged about 9000 at home that year considering how exciting it was and the play offs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we can have a decent run in the FA cup and turn over at least one Premiership team, whilst surviving in the Championship....... it will be this season:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

chips and gravy said:
I've just celebrated my 25th anniversary of watching the club. It set me thinking about what my favourite season was and I came to the conclusion that it was definitely 1990-91. It was a rollercoaster, never seen so many goals in one season. Byrne and Small up front, a shocking defence, 6-1 batterings, 3-2 wins, a trip to Anfield and Wembley and that never to be forgotten play-off semi final win against Millwall.

The Championships were exciting but somehow not a patch on that season.

What is your nomination?

have to agree with you.

(an admission)

although i've followed the albion since being a kid (first game in '77), i did drift towards supporting liverpool due to knowing no better. The permanent drift back started in 88-9, when i was at liverpool university. watched them a lot that season, but didn't feel the passion for them as i did for the stripes. particularly following hillsborough.

the 90-1 season confirmed that return to the side of right following the fa cup exploits. there was only one team i wanted to win.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
76-77 for Mellor and ward...we've never come close sincefor foward partnerships!!!

78-79 for the sheer joy of getting to the top... St James' Park never to be forgotten!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
It's a toss up between Autumn and Winter for me...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
For me, it is the 87-88 promotion season, we went up from the old Third Division behind Sunderland. This was probably cos it was the first time I had seen us promoted since going regularly.

I will still never forget Garry Nelson's goal at Brentford in the FA Cup that year.

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
Was 90-91 the one when we drew against Leeds 2-2? That was one of my favourite ever games. Leeds took the whole of the east terrace, their keeper got tangled in the north stand goal during the warm up and we even had a pitch invasion. Classic.

And I agree with everything said so far espeically the trip to anfield. Remember when we all though we were out-singing the kop and then about ten minutes before kick off they started, the noise of the scousers blew my tiny mind.

Standing on the terraces, in joe bloggs, talking about the stone roses, gazza and jonny crumplin. Enduring image, isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here