Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was your favorite World cup?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Certainly not! It's a pin point pass, perfectly timed, Bergkamp times the run to perfection!
THEN, the way he takes it down!

It's not an aimless, hopeful hoof of a ball, a la Stoke. De Boer knew what Bergkamp was capable of!

Because he got on the end of it, it was a pinpoint pass. Had he missed it would have gone down in history as a giant hoof upfield. An inch here and a bit of luck there are the sort of things that turn games.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
mine would be 74,first world cup where i watched every game,east germany beating west germany,yugoslavia beating zaire 9-0,the dutch team were fantastic cruyff and co

and poland actually turned out to be a very good side

english ref,jack taylor giving a pen in the very first minute of the final against west germany

silly jocks thinking they were gonna win it again! bless

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
2002 - we beat the argies! loved the indoor stadium where we beat them and beckham is a legend!

also south korea doing over the italians was brilliant

rivaldo getting hit in the knee and holding his head hahaha!

fat ronaldo showed he was the best in the final even with that ridiculous haircut.

france did shit!

ireland v germany had a great finale.

the fans were MENTAL!!!

NO vuvuzela's!!!!

I was at the Ireland v Germany game , so it's 2002 for me .

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
Italia 90 cos it was when I started to care about England and cried like crazy after we went out on penalties.

Anyhow, there were boring matches at times which brought in the backpass rule, so for entertainment overall I think France 98. Everything else after that was gash.

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
Because he got on the end of it, it was a pinpoint pass. Had he missed it would have gone down in history as a giant hoof upfield. An inch here and a bit of luck there are the sort of things that turn games.
A big part of the reason that goal was so and still is so highly rated is because it was scored against Argentina, the team who knocked us out.

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
I was at the Ireland v Germany game , so it's 2002 for me .

Dreadful world cup. None of the games I hardly remember and Beckhams penalty was actually cr@p, all the keeper had to do was stay there and not even move. Instead we got all this garbage saying "The ball was struck so fast it made the keeper move out of the way!".

The final was boring, South Korea got away with so many reffing decisions it was like they bribed officials, England were hardly convincing apart from the Denmark game, the holders France made a wimper at defending the trophy and a truly pedestrian German team made it to the final playing badly against below average teams except for Ireland and Brazil. An easy run to the final if there was not one. The Netherlands not qualifying only added to the cr@pness of it.

Only Brazil, Ireland and Senegal entertained me.

D

Deleted member 18477

Dreadful world cup. None of the games I hardly remember and Beckhams penalty was actually cr@p, all the keeper had to do was stay there and not even move. Instead we got all this garbage saying "The ball was struck so fast it made the keeper move out of the way!".

The final was boring, South Korea got away with so many reffing decisions it was like they bribed officials, England were hardly convincing apart from the Denmark game, the holders France made a wimper at defending the trophy and a truly pedestrian German team made it to the final playing badly against below average teams except for Ireland and Brazil. An easy run to the final if there was not one. The Netherlands not qualifying only added to the cr@pness of it.

Only Brazil, Ireland and Senegal entertained me.

Somebody get this man a large brandy! Lol.

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
Before 2010 it was 2002. The traditional powers didn't arrive and all those teams got far playing at their own level. Upsets are great if the team rise over their level and win games but in 2002 they played at thier level and it was the good teams that underachieved. To me the clear example was the Turkey-Senegal game. If you look on paper before a Turkey-Senegal game, it was just as expected. They played at thier level, just like you would expect a game between them would. Yet it was on the Quarterfinals and it was deciding a place to the semifinals of the world cup. The bad losers of Italy sacking the golden goal scorer for Korea from his club Perugia, ruined it more. Oh, and that cheating Brazillian in the Turkey game pretending a ball kicked to him to take a corner hurt him.

Only good thing was the mad Japanese and Korean fans, Brazil, Senegal and Ireland.

Last edited:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
They're all f***ing EXCELLENT. No favourites for me really, although 90 was great because we did quite well.

My favourite will be the one we actually WIN.

Wrong Sim. 2010 was gash. Why is there a lack of 1986 on here. The best by far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here