Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was wrong with our first (disallowed) goal?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry, but whilst I understand your point, I have complete sympathy with your ref there. In a situation like a free kick into the box, the Lino (particularly a cheating opposition one) will always flag for any offside players. It's such a bundle of bodies, in such a small area, that just by being there you are active, regardless of whether you are actually the one who heads it.

Nah in this situation you'd have agreed with me trust me! You could argue anyone offside is active at any time because they are presumably drawing opposition players to mark them. I'm pretty sure the referees consider someone active is either going to the ball or directly affecting what's happening - if that even makes sense?! Either way if you'd seen the situation, as someone with football playing experience yourself, you'd see my point. But then you always get cheating twats at park football don't you..

Not just saying it, but when ive ran the line I always wait to see if the ball goes to the offside player - which is usually what the ref will advise you before the game...

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
But there was no clearance, that is the point. It was just a save.

Hypothetically !! In one of my posts I explained why I was wrong to think there was a phase 2 triggered, as it wasn't. Yet you said you'd never seen a goal where an offside player then becomes onside. I stated that that could happen in the circumstance that the ball was cleared. But it wasn't cleared. Yet still I say CMS was initally onside. I've had enough of this now. It just goes to show that the job is extremely hard for officials.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's all basically the replay of the goal and the angle I saw it at, wasn't exactly the same. From my angle (level 18 yard line) in the stands it looked like the defender got back and that TK makes the save (defensive clearance) and CMS knocks it in. However from the replay the defender does not get back, and 2, TK parries the ball instead of clearing it. It all makes a difference.

No it doesn't. If you're offside when the ball is kicked by a teammate, the keeper saves it and it comes to you, you've gained an advantage (you had a head start on following up the initial shot). The offence is when the ball is played, not when it is received.

An attacker in an offside position (B) is penalised for playing or touching
the ball that rebounds, is defl ected or is played to him from a deliberate save
by the goalkeeper having been in an offside position when the ball was last
touched or is played by a team-mate.​

The offside law doesn't refer to phases of play and there is no difference between the keeper saving a shot, and the ball hitting the woodwork.

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following defi nitions apply:
• “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head,
body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this defi nition
• “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate
• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from
playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball
• “gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is defl ected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an
opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is defl ected or is played to him from a deliberate save
by an opponent having been in an offside position

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who
deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered
to have gained an advantage.​

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hypothetically !! In one of my posts I explained why I was wrong to think there was a phase 2 triggered, as it wasn't. Yet you said you'd never seen a goal where an offside player then becomes onside. I stated that that could happen in the circumstance that the ball was cleared. But it wasn't cleared. Yet still I say CMS was initally onside. I've had enough of this now. It just goes to show that the job is extremely hard for officials.

You are misquoting me.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
No it doesn't. If you're offside when the ball is kicked by a teammate, the keeper saves it and it comes to you, you've gained an advantage (you had a head start on following up the initial shot). The offence is when the ball is played, not when it is received.

An attacker in an offside position (B) is penalised for playing or touching
the ball that rebounds, is defl ected or is played to him from a deliberate save
by the goalkeeper having been in an offside position when the ball was last
touched or is played by a team-mate.​

The offside law doesn't refer to phases of play and there is no difference between the keeper saving a shot, and the ball hitting the woodwork.

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following defi nitions apply:
• “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head,
body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this defi nition
• “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate
• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from
playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball
• “gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is defl ected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an
opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is defl ected or is played to him from a deliberate save
by an opponent having been in an offside position

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who
deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered
to have gained an advantage.​

We are passed that now mate.
Clearance indicates phase 2. But cannot be a rebound save or off the woodwork. I admitted in about 3 posts since that I did not know that save was included. What about a keeper catches and throws to the opposition or punches badly straight to the player that was initially offside but now on? It's all interpretation. I admitted in about 5 posts that the CMS chance was all phase 1. But CMS was at least level, his whole body was not in front of the last defender. Goal should have stood.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
FFS I give up.....

To clarify then, I said I hadn't seen a goal in the example you gave, ie a player in an offside position who is then onside in the 'second phase' just from the ball coming off the keeper (and no other player touching it). I think others have made it clear that there is no second phase just because the keeper has made a save or even a 'clearing save' whatever that is.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clearance indicates phase 2. But cannot be a rebound save or off the woodwork. I admitted in about 3 posts since that I did not know that save was included. What about a keeper catches and throws to the opposition or punches badly straight to the player that was initially offside but now on? It's all interpretation. I admitted in about 5 posts that the CMS chance was all phase 1. But CMS was at least level, his whole body was not in front of the last defender. Goal should have stood.

If he catches it then throws it to cms then he isn't offside and that is, for want of a better phrase, a separate phase.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It's not about phases. That's not in the law, it's an invention of commentators who refuse to learn the law.

The keeper punching badly is a save, so it depends on where the attacker was when his teammate took the shot, not where he was when the keeper punched it.

If the keeper throws it, it is a deliberate pass by the keeper. It won't matter whether the player is in an onside position or an offside position.

The laws of the game are written such that it is the referee's opinion on most laws. The offside law is one in which he relies on his assistants, so as much interpretation as possible has been removed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
ITV commentators thick as two proverbial planks. Koscielny was incorrectly given offside. Going about about the header from the defender has to be deliberate is irrelevant when he Koscielny was onside when the cross was taken!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here