Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the logo on Liverpool's shirts yesterday?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I've had a search on the subject and not yet found anything so apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but I have looked.

Watching the Liverpool v Chelsea game yesterday I couldn't get my head round the Chinese (I'm assuming) characters on the Liverpool shirts where normally would be the Carlsberg logo.

Was this some special one off, is it their actual new shirt sponsor, was it just Carlsberg written in Mandarin? I can't work it out.

Begs the question, is the English premiership worth more to marketing people in Asia than it is to the English speaking world these days?

Anyone know what this was about?

Alberto-Aquillani-006.jpg

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Cheers Braders.

Seems an odd decision.

Apart from anything else I would have thought the Carlsberg logo as we know it would be perfectly recognisable in China without the need for being translated. Whereas printing it in Chinese ensures anyone who doesn't understand Chinese won't understand it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Begs the question, is the English premiership worth more to marketing people in Asia than it is to the English speaking world these days?[/img]
Yes it is, given the comparative population levels and immense marketing opportunities of Asia compared to England and Europe. Why else do you think that there are so many pre-season Asian tours to Thailand, China, etc - to promote the team (brand), sell merchanise and TV rights, and attract more money and investors.

sussexbornandbred

Dec 27, 2009
have you not noticed that tottenham have been wearing a logo with 'Mansion' in chinese on their away kits all season?

its the future...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
No I totally understand that. It's just the balls to have NO identifying Western script on Liverpool's shirts as if to say "your English pounds are of no interest to us, move along now this isn't for you"

sussexbornandbred

Dec 27, 2009
No I totally understand that. It's just the balls to have NO identifying Western script on Liverpool's shirts as if to say "your English pounds are of no interest to us, move along now this isn't for you"

true, but to be fair though, as English is the language that is pretty much forcing its way into every orifice of other countries, its not the end of the world to have a bit of their language used in our everyday life...it was only a one off as well.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm certainly not complaining, just thought it was interesting. And as Dougal says, the fact we are discussing it suggests it was a successful marketing gimmick

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
true, but to be fair though, as English is the language that is pretty much forcing its way into every orifice of other countries, its not the end of the world to have a bit of their language used in our everyday life...it was only a one off as well.

Its not for our market !!! Its in Chinese ,because thats who its for . Its for the 200 odd million people watching the match in China and Asia.

sussexbornandbred

Dec 27, 2009
Its not for our market !!! Its in Chinese ,because thats who its for . Its for the 200 odd million people watching the match in China and Asia.

Its not all the same language...people in Japan and Korea that were watching would be in the same boat as people in England. Like I said it was just a one-off and as someone above posted a link, it was to celebrate the opening of the Shanghai expo on May 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here