Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the FIRST ever *CD* you acquired?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Er hum. The first CD I purchsed was a double live Marillion affair; The Thieving Magpie I think it's called.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Fine Young Cannibals' first album

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I think CDs came out in the late 80's, as Dire Straight's 'Brothers in Arms' on CD was reputed to be owned by 1/3 of all CD player owners at the time...

So what was your first CD?

October 82 according to the least reliable encyclopedia in the world. There were only a few hundred CDs if even available when they came out hence certain big/popular albums being owned by huge volumes of people! My father bought a CD player for utterly insane money in 1983 and there's a few extremely early CDs around the house cause of that.

My first CD was probably something like a Zig and Zag comedy CD when I was 4 or something; it was definitely nothing cool unfortunately...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was indeed.....I have my copy here although there's an almighty scratch on disc 1 :(

Ive just had a nose at mine....subtitled La Gazza Ladra. Presume this is latin. It comes with an awful poster as well. I also recall buying Bon Jovi's New Jersey album around the same time..and Bruce's Tunnel of Love. As you can tell I had a good ear for music back in the day :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ive just had a nose at mine....subtitled La Gazza Ladra. Presume this is latin.

La Gazza Ladra was an opera by Rossini which in English is "The Thieving Magpie" the music at the start of disc 1 before the Slàinte Mhath song starts is from that opera and was used at the start of the Clutching at Straws Tour (as well as in The Clockwork Orange)

*marillionnerdalert*

Pet Shop Boys was my first CD, their first album.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
La Gazza Ladra was an opera by Rossini which in English is "The Thieving Magpie" ...

...and is Italian not Latin

Made famous by Justice Harman in a case involving Paul Gascoigne when he "Inadvertently" mixed up Gazza and La Gazza Ladra (I put that in inverted commas because when I chatted to a judge about this a few months later, he said that Harman knew full well who Gascoigne was but wanted to play up to the gallery).

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Simple Minds - Live in the City of Light

Still have it and regularly listen to it now!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here