Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was everyones oppinions on Leon Knight?

Danks

Aug 19, 2010
Leon Knight. Never wana meet my heroes cause your be disapionted, so what's the problem! he was a great striker for us that other teams feared, so I dont care about his arragance, he was a very good goalscorer for us.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Did take a good penalty though

For a while until goalkeepers sussed him out and it was his only way of taking them.

Worth remembering that even in the play off final in was nearly saved.

Way to save a Leon Knight penalty - don't move until he has kicked it. Once goalkeepers realised that and the word got round he wasn't such a good penalty taker after all.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Worth remembering that even in the play off final in was nearly saved.

Sorry mate, but that's a stupid thing to say, cos it wasn't saved and we got promoted. As Liam Brady so famously said: "If my nan had balls she'd be my grandad."

There are many reasons to have a pop at Leon which have been covered many times, saying he nearly missed a pen is not one of them.

I find it totally bemusing that so many are critical of one of our few shining lights in such a poor era for the club. If his only contribution to us would have been the playoff penalty he would still have been a hero to me. That he scored & terroised so many defences make LK one of our top 5 forwards in the last 20 years.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Poorly deployed by the manager and mistreated by a bunch of players who put personal feelings before the club and fans.

I think we ought to have sacked the lot and built a new team around Knight- he was the only one with any talent at the time

:lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry mate, but that's a stupid thing to say, cos it wasn't saved and we got promoted. As Liam Brady so famously said: "If my nan had balls she'd be my grandad."

There are many reasons to have a pop at Leon which have been covered many times, saying he nearly missed a pen is not one of them.

I was pointing out (quite clearly) that unfortunately his penalty technique was found out. Quite brilliant when it worked, but when when the word got round the "goalkeepers union", it was pretty clear it wasn't going to work anymore - and if it did. Just.

When the goalkeepers worked out how to deal with it, it went from great technique to rubbish. Remarkably changing from an unstoppable technique to an easy penalty to save and Leon had no plan B.

( Although we can agree it worked very well for a long time )

It relied on stalling the run up and watching the way the goalkeeper was diving, he simply placed it the other way.

However the stall meant he wasn't able to get much power behind the ball. If the goalkeeper didn't move, it became quite easy to save.

In retrospect, I'm astounded that goalkeepers didn't suss how to save it much quicker.

Another point I never that impressed how well short players can get up to head the ball. Because if they have the body strength it's obviously quite easy to launch a smaller frame off the ground. Just watch gymnastics.

But early on at Brighton Leon did get a few headers in the box, when the ball was whipped in low. It seemed almost an impossible thing to defend, as rather than getting up high - where he did have an advantage when diving in low. Almost wondered where that tactic disappeared...

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Great talent but unfortunately an even greater ego. He's now left Coleraine and is rumoured to be on his way to a League Club. However given his penchant for getting thrown out of every club he's signed for since he left us it doesn't bode well for him.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Refreshing to see a thread on an issue thats never been covered before....................

If you don't want to read about something that you have read about before, don't open the thread. There are plenty who do, and plenty who may have missed the topic when it came up previously (not everyone spends their entire day on NSC, or reads every thread that is posted).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here