Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What value a PSL if Albion reach the Premier League?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Out of interest, say Brighton achieve promotion to the Premier League in 5 years time.

In those circumstances, how much do you think a PSL for a decent seat (i.e Upper West -central, for arguments sake) would sell for?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is where I'm confused about the PSL. Surely it's not the PSL that you'll be selling, it'll just be your season ticket in that seat which you've paid for and want to sell on at a higher price.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is where I'm confused about the PSL. Surely it's not the PSL that you'll be selling, it'll just be your season ticket in that seat which you've paid for and want to sell on at a higher price.

Maybe the target demographic isn't fans at all. Maybe its just speculators that have no intention of ever setting foot in Falmer. Buy a PSL for five hundred quid now, take a punt on the Albion getting to the Premier League in three years time and flog the PSL on for a 500% profit. Its no different to buying pork belly futures. The spivs have no intention of ever taking delivery of a pork belly, and wouldn't know what to do with it if they were left holding. They just pass it on, at a profit or at a loss. It's all about the punt.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Out of interest, say Brighton achieve promotion to the Premier League in 5 years time.

In those circumstances, how much do you think a PSL for a decent seat (i.e Upper West -central, for arguments sake) would sell for?

How long do you think the waiting list will be? (Assuming every ST is sold)

How long will it take to plan/build an extension?

*shrugs*

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Maybe the target demographic isn't fans at all. Maybe its just speculators that have no intention of ever setting foot in Falmer. Buy a PSL for five hundred quid now, take a punt on the Albion getting to the Premier League in three years time and flog the PSL on for a 500% profit. Its no different to buying pork belly futures. The spivs have no intention of ever taking delivery of a pork belly, and wouldn't know what to do with it if they were left holding. They just pass it on, at a profit or at a loss. It's all about the punt.

Exactly.
It's all about the punt. With interest rates so low at the moment there's no point having £500 sitting in the bank earning f*** all.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
But why would you sell you seat if we were successful?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But why would you sell you seat if we were successful?

Well, thanks to the +3 system I have the option of buying a season ticket on Monday that in all truthfulness I have no intention of ever using myself.

Initially, I politely declined the offer, but the more I look at the PSL, the more I think it might be worth doing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I still don't get the PSL at all really...

- For the PSL to have any real value, the Albion need to be doing pretty bloomin' well. Why would you want out at that point, unless you really HAD to turf it in?
- Even if the PSL has some value, how many people will be willing to pay at least £500 over and above the price of the seat itself, especially given most of those who want season tickets will already have one?
- Isn't it just touting with another name? If you don't want your ticket any more, or can't take a season ticket any more isn't it right just to surrender it and give someone else a chance?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly.
It's all about the punt. With interest rates so low at the moment there's no point having £500 sitting in the bank earning f*** all.

But it's not a no lose gamble, is it? £500 in the bank might not appreciate much currently but it's also far less unlikely to be worth £0 in the near future.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So to go back to the original question - what do people think the market value might be for an Upper West Central PSL if Brighton become a Premier League club in the next 3 to 5 years?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So to go back to the original question - what do people think the market value might be for an Upper West Central PSL if Brighton become a Premier League club in the next 3 to 5 years?

Well I could guess for you Bry, but I have no real clue. To find out what a likely vaue would be perhaps we could ask some Hull fans, who did the same thing we are doing, then got to the PL

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Was at presentation today and Aussie sidekick of Ken Brown said c200 sold to date. I was surprised but guess they will be mainly premier Lower West seats.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But it's not a no lose gamble, is it? £500 in the bank might not appreciate much currently but it's also far less unlikely to be worth £0 in the near future.
and you need to keep buying a season ticket you're presumably not using (or at best 'renting' to your mates until you can make more off someone else). I don#t think we'll EVER be popular enough to make a decent profcit off this.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I can't see any valid reason why you cant buy it whenever you want, bearing in mind that if we get promotion the price will likely go up.

At our presentation on Tuesday it was suggested that PSLs could increase in price during the ST sales process going on at the moment-depending on ticket sales and if they continue as they are. No actual date(s) suggested though.

Sounded to me like they were/are using the old 'Fear of Loss' sales technique.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well, thanks to the +3 system I have the option of buying a season ticket on Monday that in all truthfulness I have no intention of ever using myself.

Initially, I politely declined the offer, but the more I look at the PSL, the more I think it might be worth doing.

Don't forget that you have to keep renewing season tickets every year for any seats with a PSL or it reverts back to the club

Lush

Mods' Pet
I'm considering it. Mainly because I'm paying for two season tickets, one in my teenage daughter's name. If she stops going, or when she (hopefully) goes to uni, I can't just sell it to a friend. It has to go back in the pot. If I own the PSL, I can sell it to a friend.

I've also been lucky enough to get pretty good seats in the West Lower. Brighton/Sussex is the kind of place that people with money move to (and this was part of the sales pitch). If/when we're doing well in the Championship or even get to the Premier League (and there's no reason why we shouldn't, we have a superb stadium and we're pretty financially sound compared to most clubs) then new people are going to want to watch us and watch us in the best possible seats.

If you have a decent seat, and can afford it, I would consider it. There may be a PSL offering in the future, I honestly don't know. But it won't be at this price, especially now it's fairly clear that we're going to sell a shed-load of season tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here