Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What utility is this post for on my garden boundary?

It's a concrete post sheathed in a metal cover bearing the letters "PO" (surely an old telephone installation would have the letters "GPO"?) It also has a triangular lock, like gas/electricity meter boxes. It's blocking access for an extended parking area on my open-plan front garden. Can it be moved?

Attachments

• IMAGE_00059.jpg
    IMAGE_00059.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 482

Not sure about that one, I'm afraid. It's similar - but not identical - to one I have seen a couple of miles from here. If you find out, let me know!

You might want to see if your local library has any books on street furniture. The classics, such as Henry Aaron's books (eg his Shire Album and his 'Pillar to Post'), or Geoffrey Warren's 'Vanishing Street Furniture' might help. Similarly, English Heritage have a guide (called, I think, 'Hard Furnishings') as well. Unfortunately, they are all out of print at the moment.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Looks like some sort of earthing device.

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
Could it be for marking a post code boundary?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its a post to mark an underground phone line I think. 99% sure I've got somthing similar on a bit of land we own, which I know was a phone line because I cut through it when we were widening a gateway. I'll check later to see what the markings are, but it looks identical.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Pre-positioned Ordnance...it's a bomb, get out!!!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Its a post to mark an underground phone line I think. 99% sure I've got somthing similar on a bit of land we own, which I know was a phone line because I cut through it when we were widening a gateway. I'll check later to see what the markings are, but it looks identical.

I'd back that from memory of when there was one outside a house I used to live in in London. Its obviously from those long gone halcyon days before the Governemtn privatised the phone service from out of the Post Office.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Was it put there by the NCB to warn of pit tunnel subsidence in the area ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Try your local council's planning and highways departments. They might know

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its a headstone marking the grave of a postman who used to deliver that round.

If you dig just below the surface you should find his belt buckle and bag. If he had worked the round for over 10 years they sometimes buried him in the whole uniform of the time.

I think they were buried upright and eyes facing the nearest Post Office.

Its a headstone marking the grave of a postman who used to deliver that round.

If you dig just below the surface you should find his belt buckle and bag. If he had worked the round for over 10 years they sometimes buried him in the whole uniform of the time.

I think they were buried upright and eyes facing the nearest Post Office.

Up in Scotland they bury them just before Xmas to get out of having to tip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here