Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] what to do about the home atmosphere?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Perhaps it's hardly surprising that in going from 7,000 to 30,000 crowds in the Amex era that many fans are in this category I guess. Comfy seats, large prawn sandwich.:facepalm:

crowds at the Goldstone regularly in the high 20 k and the atmosphere was frequently raw , electric and downright exciting .....its not just us , most premier league clubs suffer a similar sterile atmosphere from time to time.Unfortunately the poor atmosphere and the poor display on the pitch tend to feed off each other.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
crowds at the Goldstone regularly in the high 20 k and the atmosphere was frequently raw , electric and downright exciting .....its not just us , most premier league clubs suffer a similar sterile atmosphere from time to time.Unfortunately the poor atmosphere and the poor display on the pitch tend to feed off each other.

I think there are some distinctly rose coloured spectacles regarding The Goldstone. I had been there with some really shit atmospheres, night games tended to be better, but again that may have been because I was an impressionable school kid...

By and large, if you entertain the fans they will make some noise. If you want ultra brand fans, who don't even watch the game, but make lots of noise banging their drum and bouncing up and down, then I suggest you go elsewhere for your atmosphere.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
crowds at the Goldstone regularly in the high 20 k and the atmosphere was frequently raw , electric and downright exciting

Rosy specked twaddle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, many was the time I heard the refrain, from the North Stand, "can you hear the South Stand sing" only to be greated by stoney silence.

And occasionally visa versa.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If the North and WSU could work this between them we’d literally be killing two birds, an instant, somewhat camp, call and response chant giving the Amex some atmosphere, along with a fitting chant for Cucurella. The words could also be displayed on the big screens.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It has been said plenty of times before but the acoustics in the stadium are weird and can mean the sound doesn't travel well. Where I am in family area I can't hear police box guys at all and often hear the away fans better than the north.

I cant say much about the AMEX obviously but this is a frequent problem with new stadiums. Many of those built in the last 25 years are very similar to eachother and a lot of thought is given to safety + how to make money, while things like acoustics are being overlooked. The new national stadium in Sweden is a prime example... made for eating and a bit of cheering but not for singing. Too much American influence in how stadiums are designed.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I think there are some distinctly rose coloured spectacles regarding The Goldstone. I had been there with some really shit atmospheres, night games tended to be better, but again that may have been because I was an impressionable school kid...

By and large, if you entertain the fans they will make some noise. If you want ultra brand fans, who don't even watch the game, but make lots of noise banging their drum and bouncing up and down, then I suggest you go elsewhere for your atmosphere.

Maybe, but during the famous ‘glory years’ the atmosphere at the Goldstone was often incredible, especially when Wardy had made fools of defenders and was headed for goal.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Maybe, but during the famous ‘glory years’ the atmosphere at the Goldstone was often incredible, especially when Wardy had made fools of defenders and was headed for goal.

Ah, so what you mean is its easy to get a great atmosphere when you've got a team at the top of its game and challenging...

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Half the crowd spend the game looking at their phones, filming the game or nipping out every 5 minutes. For many the match is a side attraction. May be 30k + in the ground but about half really invested in the game.

2nd half started with about a 1/3 of the crowd in their seats.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
aware I'm playing with fire by starting this thread here maybe, and I'm not having a pop at the fans or reincarnating the 'early leavers' threads of yesteryear.

But God, home games are depressing these days. not even because of the result. but the atmosphere was flat from first minute to the last today, and generally has been pretty much since fans came back. the north stand try, but I think we managed two rounds of 'albiiooonn' today followed by utter silence for the rest of the match. and the problem is that this is the norm nowadays, and I definitely think it transfers to the players.

genuinely I'm not sure how we fix this, and this thread is pretty much asking for what suggestions people may have, I know people slate drums and singing sections as tin pot, but it's at the point now where the home atmosphere is genuinely making home games unenjoyable anymore.

How about the players do something to make the fans cheer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What an utterly ridiculous post, sorry. All stuff about the team performance should drive the atmosphere is bollocks imho, the atmosphere should be there regardless of the scoreline and performance.

I admire your sentiment but in the real world, that will never happen. It doesn't happen anywhere either.

If the team is really going for it then the atmosphere will improve. If they play like they did 2nd half yesterday by trying to up the possession stats but only around our penalty area, there will be silence as people nod off.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Thought it started off really well, the Newcastle fans livened it up and we responded. As the game went on both sets of fans got more quiet, until after their goal obviously. I remember being pleasantly surprised by seeing some joining in in the West and East stands. Generally, I thought we were pretty loud in the North. I don’t really hear the West anymore, not like I did in the first few seasons. Support was really good at the end one Dunk went in goal, just when we really needed it. Very proud of that.

All in all, didn’t seem any worse than most similar games.

Suggestion to make it more interesting: Move the away fans next to the North. Never going to happen though as Barber wants all fans to be nicey nicey. How I often wonder how much better it could be.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The answer, which has probably already been said, is reduce the capacity. I hate going to the AMEX. It’s a grim reminder of the direction match day support has gone. It’s second team supporters, football tourists and the bored with life mostly.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
First half they did Hence the Ole s

I agree. 2nd half awful. Struggling to think of an inspirational moment from the team. Cucu missed header?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I admire your sentiment but in the real world, that will never happen. It doesn't happen anywhere either.

If the team is really going for it then the atmosphere will improve. If they play like they did 2nd half yesterday by trying to up the possession stats but only around our penalty area, there will be silence as people nod off.

Spot on. Cheeky Monkey clueless

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here