Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the heck were the police upto after the game?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Genuine question then, for the Palace game do you think in respect to the way that the game panned out that the police got their tactics right in allowing everyone out at the same time?

100% yes, seriously.

I think separating fans into tribes causing as may problems as it causes. Tonight, possibly different. Wasn't there - but I know what Millwall bring. I've seen it up here.

Sometimes you need to sit back, look beyond the shouting, odd idiot and w*nker signs and see what's actually going on.

It reminds of that episode of Only Fools and Horses when Del Boy simply walks through the riot !

Seriously, I'm glad the Police are trying to do something a bit different.

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
100% yes.

Fair enough and I guess I can see both view points, however from what I witnessed after the game with people getting batton charged and all the aggro at Brighton station after surely keeping them back for 10-15 mins after the game and then putting a direct train into croydon would've stopped a lot of the problems that occurred. Hindsight is a good thing I suppose!

Nov 20, 2003
hove
what worries me is you could get caught up in an incident that is not your fault defending yourself ect get nicked first offence 1 years jail and a banning order would not trust police or club to help in such cases, football fans are not a worthy cause nowdays

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Fair enough and I guess I can see both view points, however from what I witnessed after the game with people getting batton charged and all the aggro at Brighton station after surely keeping them back for 10-15 mins after the game and then putting a direct train into croydon would've stopped a lot of the problems that occurred. Hindsight is a good thing I suppose!

Yep - but I think the reality is that can happen anyway. I had both experiences at Millwall, crowd separation and everyone out at the same time.

I prefer the second to be honest. I'd rather everyone was let out into one group than split into armies.

I'm just not convinced that as a tactic, separating fans is always the best idea. Self perpetuating possibly. Well, we split them afterwards and there was still trouble, so we have to split them up better next time...

Here's an idea - don't do that and see what happens. Possibly didn't work tonight - but don't discount it as a means of alleviating trouble in the future.

I think it's a brave decision by the police generally, rather than a foolish one.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There was supposed to be a direct Falmer -> London train for the Millwall fans tonight. Didn't it run?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
what worries me is you could get caught up in an incident that is not your fault defending yourself ect get nicked first offence 1 years jail and a banning order would not trust police or club to help in such cases, football fans are not a worthy cause nowdays

I struggle to understand how you could caught up in anything if you simply walk away. After the Palace game (up here), three of us followed the Palace fans. Police didn't want us to go at first, but I showed some id that proved I live in London and off we went. Police probably thought we were Palace fans.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
if I walked away from the ground with just Albion fans no probs ,if they was a mix of fans together whats to stop a moron coming up beside me and hitting me ! After the match at selhurst thought met police got it spot on felt safe and was able to get to station no probs

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
if I walked away from the ground with just Albion fans no probs ,if they was a mix of fans together whats to stop a moron coming up beside me and hitting me ! After the match at selhurst thought met police got it spot on felt safe and was able to get to station no probs

Travelling back to London after games I'm often with away fans. Never had a problem.

So have you felt unsafe at all the games you've attended at the Amex this year ?

The Policing at Selhurst was better than previous years but miles way from what it should be. Simply no need whatsoever. I walked back to the Thornton Heath with a number of other Albions fans in between "The Palace". no trouble at all.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You obviously did not see what others saw, and commented on. Trouble at the station before and after, and a lack of control in Brighton centre.

They are, understanderbly, still on a learning curve. But if we get 4500 away fans for a cup game next year?

Sent from Pippa Middleton's lingerie drawer.

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
Best post of the evening. Exactly. Dangerous policing; people ought to be pulled up for this - it was only serious self-control from the Albion fans which prevented this from becoming a serious situation.

Incompetent policing.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I struggle to understand how you could caught up in anything if you simply walk away. After the Palace game (up here), three of us followed the Palace fans. Police didn't want us to go at first, but I showed some id that proved I live in London and off we went. Police probably thought we were Palace fans.

I'm sorry, were you there tonight?

I can tell you now that walking away from the police cordon outside the South Stand where small children and women simply trying to get to the Park & Ride were herded into a tight huddle along with all the Millwall fans exiting the ground was NOT an option.

It was inept policing, and potentially dangerous. Thankfully nothing came of it. Not this time anyway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You obviously did not see what others saw, and commented on. Trouble at the station before and after, and a lack of control in Brighton centre.

They are, understanderbly, still on a learning curve. But if we get 4500 away fans for a cup game next year?

Palace game ? How would that have been alleviation by separating the fans at the stadium ? That's my point.

You are potentially making the problem away from the stadium worse by grouping the opposing fans together.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm sorry, were you there tonight?

I can tell you now that walking away from the police cordon outside the South Stand where small children and women simply trying to get to the Park & Ride were herded into a tight huddle along with all the Millwall fans exiting the ground was NOT an option.

It was inept policing, and potentially dangerous. Thankfully nothing came of it. Not this time anyway.

Maybe this needs voicing at the club/police

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Meant to say that in the above post that you were not there, end.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
yep thought that palace should of been kept in for fifteen mins would of been better was near some dickheads telling me I was a pedo had my kids with me a they were spitting at us, had they had been kept back .......you get the jist

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here