Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What the **** has happened to football

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Other leagues look fairly normal. Most of them started a couple of weeks after the PL so they had both some extra vacation and extra pre-season. It should look more normal as the season goes on, but considering the tight schedule there is no guarantees really. It might stay ****ed up.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I have wondered how much the lack of fans / crowds has had on these games.

Are some players underperforming or overperforming because it?

It must have an impact.

I've been scratching my head over this as well. It's such an obvious difference, but then it's hard to work out how and why it would have the impact it appears to be having.

To go off on a slight tangent for a second, my old man was a very handy tennis player in his youth, so much so that he got as far as junior Wimbledon in the early sixties. He spent his summers in those days being coached along with a handful of the country's other talented young players at the national sports centre at Bisham Abbey. At the heart of his coaching was preparing him to play in a stadium environment. This was the sixties so the methods used were probably a little rudimentary by today's standards, but they would do things like practice serving whilst the coaches and other lads would be shouting and gesturing to put each other off.

The point of it all was to try and deliver a consistent level of performance whether playing in front of one man and his dog, or twenty-odd thousand on Centre Court. What we're dealing with here is some of the world's most elite football players - they are conditioned from a young age to ignore the impact of a crowd. And yet, here we are in the middle of what feels like some weird psychological experiment, and apparently no one is immune to the effects of playing in such a sterile environment.

I find it both bizarre and intriguing, particularly how it seems to have a positive effect on some players and a negative effect on others. I'd love to hear the thoughts of a qualified sports psychologist on this one.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I've been scratching my head over this as well. It's such an obvious difference, but then it's hard to work out how and why it would have the impact it appears to be having.

To go off on a slight tangent for a second, my old man was a very handy tennis player in his youth, so much so that he got as far as junior Wimbledon in the early sixties. He spent his summers in those days being coached along with a handful of the country's other talented young players at the national sports centre at Bisham Abbey. At the heart of his coaching was preparing him to play in a stadium environment. This was the sixties so the methods used were probably a little rudimentary by today's standards, but they would do things like practice serving whilst the coaches and other lads would be shouting and gesturing to put each other off.

The point of it all was to try and deliver a consistent level of performance whether playing in front of one man and his dog, or twenty-odd thousand on Centre Court. What we're dealing with here is some of the world's most elite football players - they are conditioned from a young age to ignore the impact of a crowd. And yet, here we are in the middle of what feels like some weird psychological experiment, and apparently no one is immune to the effects of playing in such a sterile environment.

I find it both bizarre and intriguing, particularly how it seems to have a positive effect on some players and a negative effect on others. I'd love to hear the thoughts of a qualified sports psychologist on this one.

Exactly. How does it feel for a world class player like De Bruyne to get zero feedback when you do something spectacular?
Does he start to think consciously (or subconsciously) "what's the point?".

Do some players feel more positive, and take more risks, knowing there's no immediate threat from an angry mob?

I think the main feedback they get at the moment is via social media and the media, sadly.
(which is why I've tried to make more of an effort to support our players on twitter and instagram)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Be nice if we came out winners in one of these mental results , i think we're too nice and need a few Jamie Moralee types in the team .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Man Utd limited it to 6 but Liverpool have broken government regulations by letting 7 in.

In fairness, you can't say that they weren't socially distanced in defence.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
You can guarantee that there are many unknown darts, snooker, tennis and dominoes players who are fantastic in the comfort of their own homes or in the local pub or tennis club, scoring 180s at darts, 147s at snooker etc. but who just can’t do it in front of crowds.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Exactly. How does it feel for a world class player like De Bruyne to get zero feedback when you do something spectacular?
Does he start to think consciously (or subconsciously) "what's the point?"

Difficult isn't it? Perhaps the £200K+ per week he is being paid might console him although I'm sure there is Counselling available?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just shows why the PL is the best, followed and watched in the world.
Best thing is that the Albion is part of it :)

This.

Anybody still pissing their pants over our defeat to the team in top slot? ???

As an aside, I was thinking our front three is sort of modeled on the Liverpool front thee approach.

Neither of us have a big centre forward to nut the ball in after a cross from the wing ???

Anyway, brilliant season so far. Bring more of it on. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Be nice if we came out winners in one of these mental results , i think we're too nice and need a few Jamie Moralee types in the team .

*cough* Newcastle away *cough*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here