Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What sporting event would have been the most HORRIFIC to have witnessed?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
There have been some true horrors that would have stayed with you forever. What would have been the worst?

I think the fire at Valley Parade would have given me nightmares forever.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
There have been some true horrors that would have stayed with you forever. What would have been the worst?

I think the fire at Valley Parade would have given me nightmares forever.

A friend of a friend is from Bradford. His uncle was there and witnessed it, and it changed him completely, went into his shell, and ended up committing suicide some years later.

Horrible, horrible day.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Nice thread to cheer everyone up. Mine would have been Heysel. Was on the verge of going to the match as part of a school trip over in Belgium but the plug got pulled.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
0-5 at Selhurst Park

for sheer horror-show this is it for me. I spent the seocnd half wishing a plane would fly into the holmesdale.

But no-one actually died, its impossible to put it in the same context as heysel, bradford and others ...

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Bradford. No matter how many times I watch it, it still stops me dead in my tracks. I imagine being a policeman on the pitch would have been traumatic, knowing that you were expected to do something, but being completely unable to do anything.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was at the world pelota championships in san sebastian in (I think) 1970 when a guy wrapped in a basque nationalist flag soaked in petrol ran out in front of Franco's viewing platform and set light to himself. It was truly horrific because the flames weren't bright enough to mask his flesh burning and he was screaming while he tried to shout a protest..................I was maybe 10 rows away and saw Franco's face as he turned and left and I swear he was laughing.

I remember it every time I smell kerosene at an airport

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
As I love sailing, the 1979 Fastnet (15 deaths) and 1998 Sydney-Hobart (six deaths) hold a special horror for me. Wouldn't have liked to be in either of them.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I was at the world pelota championships in san sebastian in (I think) 1970 when a guy wrapped in a basque nationalist flag soaked in petrol ran out in front of Franco's viewing platform and set light to himself. It was truly horrific because the flames weren't bright enough to mask his flesh burning and he was screaming while he tried to shout a protest..................I was maybe 10 rows away and saw Franco's face as he turned and left and I swear he was laughing.

I remember it every time I smell kerosene at an airport

There's a WORLD pelota championships?! I thought this was only played in the Basque Country.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
A friend of a friend is from Bradford. His uncle was there and witnessed it, and it changed him completely, went into his shell, and ended up committing suicide some years later.

Horrible, horrible day.

I know someone through work who was there that day with his dad (I think). Luckily for him, he was young enough that his dad shielded him from the worst of the scenes. I think they were in the stand opposite the fire, but certainly weren't in it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There's a WORLD pelota championships?! I thought this was only played in the Basque Country.

I might well be mistaken (I'd blame an excess of youthful Coronas) but I'm sure I've seen courts for it in Mexico too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

It's a bit like the american world series :lolol:

seriously they come from all over the spanish speaking world - If you're not into it, it's like a cross between watching a game of squash from too far away to be sure exactly what's going on, and watching paint dry

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here