Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What sport are we actually good at.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
The world no 1 and champion at squash is english.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
To be realistic, it's not that we've become 'bad' at sport (along with pretty much everything else), just that as we have progressed very little (probably complacency has played a big part), the rest of the world has caught up and is gradually overtaking us.

It was only a matter of time, really.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
We are of the best sporting nations in the world across all sports. Spain may be better at us than football but we are better at cricket, rugby, golf. Considering how small a nation we actually are we do a good job to be near the top in all most every main sport in the world.
Cricket: Best in the world
Football: Top 10
Rugby: Top 5 (?)
F1: 2 of the top 5
Boxing: Numerous champions across different divisions
Golf: Number 1 and 2 in the world

Not bad for one of the smaller countries in the world

farawaysaint

Oct 1, 2011
Watching.

Barmy Army are legendary :D Was at an England South Africa rugby game once where this bloke was giving the large to the English fans all game until a steward decided he had to eject him. The Barmy Army picked him up, plonked him right in the middle of them and wouldn't let the steward eject him. He exchanged banter with the fans for the rest of the match. Good blokes all round :clap:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Barmy Army are legendary :D Was at an England South Africa rugby game once where this bloke was giving the large to the English fans all game until a steward decided he had to eject him. The Barmy Army picked him up, plonked him right in the middle of them and wouldn't let the steward eject him. He exchanged banter with the fans for the rest of the match. Good blokes all round :clap:

Exactly.

farawaysaint

Oct 1, 2011
are we ACTUALLY in the top 10 footballing nations in the world though? i must disagree with fifa there

10 teams better than England to start with. Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Holland, Uruguay, Portugal, Italy. Then it becomes a little bit more unclear... I'd say Mexico, Chile and possibly Ivory Coast deserve to be above England. The ratings are quite frankly a load of rubbish though based on local results, you only have to see how high teams like Australia are ranked to notice that. Still, England can play footie but the media overhype the national team as world beaters when at very best they are a tournament dark-horse. England also seem to have more of an ego management problem than other teams. I'm not saying other nations don't have their primadonnas but England seem to have a squad full of them with a new scandal every single farking tournament... How hard is it to keep your nose clean for a month when you know the eyes of the world are on you?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
For me it would be

Not in any order but my top 10

Brazil
Spain
Netherlands
Italy
Portugal
Uraguay
Germany
Serbia
Russia
Ivory Coast
France

You also have alot of teams like Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon that are alot better than there rankings suggest and could give us more than a run for our money.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
WHY AREN'T WE THE BEST AT ANYTHING?

because we are good at such a wide range. we spread the pool of those with the talent, athleticism, sporting intelligence, determination, dedication, health too far. most other nations will focus on a few sports. ever remember a Aussie or French runner in athletics? we pick up medals in everything from shooting, through rowing, swimming to track (not so much field, but remember in the 80s we had some).

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Our current champions

Pool - Karl Boyes is the WPA World Eight-ball Champion
Cycling - Mark Cavendish is the UCI Road World Champion (road race) and Emma Pooley (Womens time trial)
Darts - Martin Adams is the BDO world champion, Adrian Lewis the PDC world champion and Trina Gulliver the womens BDO World darts Champion
Sailing - Ben Ainslie is the World Match Racing Tour champion
Swimming - 3 gold medalists at the World Aquatics Championships
Gymnastics - Elizabeth Tweddle gold edalist at uneven bars at the 2010 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships
Athletics - numerous inc. Mo Farah (5000m) IAAF World Champion / Jessica Ennis (pentathlon) Dwain Chambers (60m) @ the 2010 IAAF World Indoor Championships and so on.....

I could go on ......

Last edited:

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
For me it would be

Not in any order but my top 10

Brazil
Spain
Netherlands
Italy
Portugal
Uraguay
Germany
Serbia
Russia
Ivory Coast
France

You also have alot of teams like Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon that are alot better than there rankings suggest and could give us more than a run for our money.

Are you really serious?

If you watch a lot of international football and if you had seen Portugal or Russia recently then at the moment england are far better than both of those. I do not for one minute believe either that any of the African teams you mention are better than England. Yes, we had a dissapointing second half against Montenegro last night but things are not rosey with all the other countries. France scraped to a 1-0 win over Faroe Islands not long ago, Serbia are third in their qualifying group.

Some peoples negativity and idioticness sometimes really does baffle me.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Are you really serious?

If you watch a lot of international football and if you had seen Portugal or Russia recently then at the moment england are far better than both of those. I do not for one minute believe either that any of the African teams you mention are better than England. Yes, we had a dissapointing second half against Montenegro last night but things are not rosey with all the other countries. France scraped to a 1-0 win over Faroe Islands not long ago, Serbia are third in their qualifying group.

Some peoples negativity and idioticness sometimes really does baffle me.

Lol were FAR better than Porugal yeah ok then lmfao.

Serbia imo are a fantastic up and coming team, you would know that being such and international football team follower

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
i even missed out the Argies for some odd reason

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Lol were FAR better than Porugal yeah ok then lmfao.

Serbia imo are a fantastic up and coming team, you would know that being such and international football team follower

Any team with Helder Postiga as their number 1 striker are worse than England. Portugal are still yet to qualify and have to avoid defeat in Denmark to guarantee qualification. They are not the team they were 4 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here