Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What song reminds you of John Peel?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
All the obvious ones - Undertones, Ruts, Fall etc - but two in particular stand out for me:

Everyone knows Teenage Kicks was his favourite song of all, but he also said that 'Come Back' by The Mighty WAH! was his favourite "Liverpool" song, and it always makes me think of JP whenever I hear it.

On a more personal note, I remember when he played 'Marquee Moon' by Television for the first time, around Jan 1977. I was listening under the bedcovers on a school night, and it changed my life there and then. Without that epiphany I might still be listening to Barclay James Harvest and Wishbone Ash. For that I can never thank him enough.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was listening to JP on the way back from our rearranged cup tie against Norwich 2 years ago and he played a track by the Sewer Zombies called "They Died With Their Willie Nelson T-Shirts On" I was so taken with it I went looking for it. Turns out it's a deleted album called "Reach Out and" from 1982. I finally found it on ebay, from a record store in the states, I bought it, 12" LP and have now copied it to CD. It was played very loud this morning coming into work.

Thanks JP for everything, from listening to the Ruts and Ramones with the radio under my pillow at boarding school in 1979 to the Sewer Zombies in 2003. Heaven will be rocking from now on.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Peelie also said he wanted "When an old cricketer leaves the crease" by Roy Harper played at his funeral.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
suspect device - Stiff little Fingers, listened to it on my way home yesterday ... bitter sweet.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Lord Bracknell said:
I have a reel-to-reel tape of a Top Gear programme from the late sixties. Sadly, I don't have the equipment to play it any more. But I do have a list of the songs on the tape.

If it's standard one-sided quarter-inch tape, Lord B, I might be able to transfer it to cassette or minidisc.

Give us a PM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here