Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What shops do you remember from Sydney Street?

I remember the late sixties - when pretty much EVERY shop in Sydney Street was a butcher. Most of them had no refrigeration, so it was possible to turn up at about 5.30pm on a Saturday afternoon and buy an enormous Sunday joint for next to nothing.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
One's most vivid memory is off the smell of roasting coffee beans, however one isn't sure that was there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I remember the late sixties - when pretty much EVERY shop in Sydney Street was a butcher. Most of them had no refrigeration, so it was possible to turn up at about 5.30pm on a Saturday afternoon and buy an enormous Sunday joint for next to nothing.

Or a fishmongers.

My friend has a shop at 34 Sydney Street (has had for about 14 years) - the basement is now open as another part of the shop, but previously he used it as a rehearsal room because it still had the room-sized fridge intact. Obviously they took the bolt off the door to stop themselves being locked in.

Incidentally, the tapas bar further down the road in Sydney Street towards Gloucester Road is well worth checking out.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The electronics shop at the Station end near the corner. It sold transistors, resistors and a load of old ex Post Office electrical guff. Guy who ran it was the spitting image of Haryy H Corbet. I too still smell the coffee bean aroma formt he shop on the right as you went down North to South , about half way along.

Oh and I always thought Sydney Street deserved a shop called 'The Maltese Falcon'. I won't bother explaining why!

TNBA

TTF

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
One's most vivid memory is off the smell of roasting coffee beans, however one isn't sure that was there.

That was in neighbouring Gardener Street, they had that machine outside roasting coffee beans daily.

I've had my hair cut in Clippers for the past 28 years and most of the original guys are still there.

I also remember Dave's Book Exchange, 2 butchers (both with sawdust on the floor) and Rayfords on the corner.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
That was in neighbouring Gardener Street, they had that machine outside roasting coffee beans daily.

I've had my hair cut in Clippers for the past 28 years and most of the original guys are still there.

I also remember Dave's Book Exchange, 2 butchers (both with sawdust on the floor) and Rayfords on the corner.

So it was, shows how time has eroded the memory.

TNBA
TTF

keitho54

Oct 9, 2003
On the east side at the corner with Trafalgar Street in the 60s, was a clothing shop that sold school wear and cub uniforms etc! I got my first woggle there! can't remember the name but you can still see the black and white tiling in the entrance I think. I also remember buying a Ferguson black and white portable television from Rayfords in 1977. God I feel old!

scooter1

How soon is now?
I'm not sure how long Red Rat records was in Sydnet Street, but it moved up to Seven Dials before finally closing after many court battles.
My dad lived above Attrix Records for a dew years, it was a great place to be able to hang out when I was a youngster. Rick Blair(god rest his soul) was a lovely guy with a genuine love for music

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
green_dragon2.jpg

Loved that pub

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Was Red Rat Record Rentals in Sydney Street? Used to rent out the latest albums and sell you C90s, but because they didn't actually do the taping for you, they reckoned they weren't breaking the law. Lasted about six months, I think.

There was a photograhic printers in the basement at red rat, he would throw all the film cannisters into the yard which was just full of these little black plastic cases.

I imagine that room is now the Punker Bunker.

Not Sydney street but always the Funeral Directors in Kensingston Gardens and seeing the coffins bein taken in and out.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Acres the bakers,Rayfords also had a record shop,greengrocers run by an old boy with one arm,a deli,a shop selling french wine and food,a paint and wallpaper shop,clothes shop where across the tracks is now,Richardsons the bookies,a shop selling tents and outdoor gear,a D.I.Y shop,Ann Logan childrens clothes, a shop selling trainers, stage door cafe,a fishmongers and the first Rayfords which sold and repaired washing machines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here