Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What plymouth think of us.... if u care!

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
i have huge respect for Plymouth - I was at a clients site about six years ago in the northeast and the client was a huge sunderland fan - that night 'o afucking tuesday!!!' we went to see sunderland at home against Plymouth - and for f*** sake they must have had 2,000 travelling fans.

Whatever some berks on here say - that was to me, quite an extraordinary effort.

Was that the same game they played terrible and Holloway offered to buy everyone of the travelling fans a beer?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do we need a back tracking smilie? :wink:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The ORIGINAL fans utd Hartlepool game was suggested by a Plymouth Fan I believe on an NSC predecessor.

So Im AMAZED we dont have any Plymouth/Brighton scarves like we do Wrexham :jester:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont like this 'undisclosed fee' but can see the logic of it as it stops other clubs thinking the buying club are wealthy or mugs but I notice the fee varies on that board from 1 suggestion of £60k to another of £140k. Perhaps we will hear the correct figure one day.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
...my memories are tempered by a bloody good pastie for lunch and the fun we had for at least 45 minutes with a blow up Shrek donkey...although getting homophobic abuse from a number of their fans on leaving the ground served to remind me that a corner of this island remains hideously trapped in the nineteenth century!

that happens everywhere where you get large numbers of alpha males mate

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Bit surprised at the catchment area comparison, given that they have three league teams in a county with a smaller population I don't get where they get their figures from. However in the main they seem to have high regard for us so not complaining, actually I've always liked Plymouth anyway.
there might be 3 teams in devon but argyle have the whole of cornwall and a high percentage of the cornish are argyle fans....i should know i grew up there.
i just hope ashley turns out to be the star you lot all think he is....ok he did ok on loan but i bloody hope we havent paid much more than 60k for him

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I'll always remember Plymouth as one of my best away days - 2-0 win on the Easter Saturday to secure promotion from the old division 3. It was such a significant turning point in the club's history from the late 90's

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I like Plymouth and said them as one of my 20 in the 'ideal Premiership' thread a few months ago.

They have a huge catchment area like us and their fans are always friendly etc...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'll always remember Plymouth as one of my best away days - 2-0 win on the Easter Saturday to secure promotion from the old division 3. It was such a significant turning point in the club's history from the late 90's

Precisely. And it was one of those real 'get rewarded for making the trip' matches. There was a 90 per cent chance we would go up in the home game on the Monday, about six other results had to go our way on the Saturday to get promoted. Marvellous scenes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
exactly ... one of the few clubs that travel in fairly big numbers to nigh on every game and make a monumental racket everywhere they go

fair play to them .... only truly bad memory I have of Plymouth is when they stuffed us 5-1 :(

I was at that game, complete waste of time and I had a massive hangover.

Tried to leave at half time but there car park is/was design on a first in first out policy.

:facepalm:

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
"If they don't reach the premiership/top CCC within five years i'd be hugely surprised, I simply don't believe Argyles similar aspiration is achievable on the given evidence so far - we hope for better of course Wink. "

:clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is nice :)
(although not entirely accurate on the Withdean attendences) :blush:

"For a direct comparison on gates you'd have to go back to the Goldstone days as that was the last time they had a ground of their own in their city, big enough to accomodate demand - trouble is you'd be going back into the last centuary so comparison would be meaningless for historical football supporter number generally are very different from then.

You'll just have to trust me, the 9,000 they've got for years atthe Withdean is pretty consistent, the reason why is that they're nearly all ST holders and such is demand that they run a quasi-official ticket swapping service whereby ST holders not going pass on their tickets to others. It's very efficient but crucially points to the fact that demand far outstrips 9,000 - even for L1 football in the crappiest of crappy venues.

They are strong in the community and as a club, an identity their spirit is strong too, they're held back only by Withdean (they've had to fund stewards to close the roads for a mile radius all round and subsidise public transport to protect the parking spaces for the wealthy Withdean residents for nearly ten years now and they're STILL going). I am utterly convinced that Argyle would have gone to the wall years ago if faced with eviction and ground sharing 60 miles away. Our community, our spirit would have been crushed.

Not only Brixtons Albion Kebabs observation, albion shop by the clock tower you see Albion kits, car stickers and mini-kits everywhere, far more than round Plymouth, they may not be able to get to games but by 'eck are they proud of their team and their identity and once they get the chance to get a seat and get behind a reborn club you watch, they'll fly.

I hate Brighton, this is not a love-in by any stretch but I have a massive admiration for what they've achieved in staying alive and how they're on the cusp of a bright future. I'm also as envious as hell about it because for the last decade plus we've had all the advantages they didn't but have nothing to now show for it, we've been out passioned, out committed, out supported and will soon be outstripped by my nemesis club. All we've got to show off is an artists impression of a ground that MIGHT be built IF England get the world cup and only then IF FIFA don't cull us from the list.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For me Plymouth is a family rivalry. I have family that way so always take pleasure in their losing, especially when we beat them.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Plymouth away has in the past been a tad dodgy, remember the 0-0 FA Cup game, trying to get back to the station was interesting.

I and my travelling companions had a comfortable walk through the park that day. I suspect, UB, that your reputation goes before you and the jolly tar Lyndhurst boys were after you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here