Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What plymouth think of us.... if u care!

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
Found this on the plymouth forum, Ashley Barnes transfer thread. Was interested to see their opinions on the transfer. Quite a good read.

Plymouth Argyle Football Supporters - PASOTI - View topic - Ashley Barnes - Going, going, gone?

Here is a snippet, made me feel happy :

"As an aside i've just driven over to Lewes passing as I did Falmer stadium, my god it looks good.

Ashley is joining a club on the up, a club that has toiled very hard over a very long period to maintain a firm link within it's community, to keep a team on the pitch playing decent football while it works to provide the stadia and infrastructure to move itself forward.

Sadly Argyle have missed a trick over the last few years, I wager it won't be long before we're looking up at clubs like Brighton and marvelling at their facilities and the gates they get. We've had a decade of clear blue water ahead of Brighton while they slummed it at the Withdean, we should be streets ahead of them not about to be overtaken.

Can't blame Ashley for wanting the move, he's hardly been loved by club or boo boys at Argyle (i'm surprised Summers returned from Orient for the same reasons TBH). Still feel this one will come to bite us on the harris .

Argus story.......

Barnes signs for Seagulls From The Argus)

BHA mad messageboard.......

barnes signs - North Stand Chat

They're delighted, fee reportedly £60k their end which they think is a solid gold bargain, we could so easily have got more, we should so sensibly have waited anyway, ho hum."

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Found this on the plymouth forum, Ashley Barnes transfer thread. Was interested to see their opinions on the transfer. Quite a good read.

Plymouth Argyle Football Supporters - PASOTI - View topic - Ashley Barnes - Going, going, gone?

Here is a snippet, made me feel happy :

"As an aside i've just driven over to Lewes passing as I did Falmer stadium, my god it looks good.

Ashley is joining a club on the up, a club that has toiled very hard over a very long period to maintain a firm link within it's community, to keep a team on the pitch playing decent football while it works to provide the stadia and infrastructure to move itself forward.

Sadly Argyle have missed a trick over the last few years, I wager it won't be long before we're looking up at clubs like Brighton and marvelling at their facilities and the gates they get. We've had a decade of clear blue water ahead of Brighton while they slummed it at the Withdean, we should be streets ahead of them not about to be overtaken.

Can't blame Ashley for wanting the move, he's hardly been loved by club or boo boys at Argyle (i'm surprised Summers returned from Orient for the same reasons TBH). Still feel this one will come to bite us on the harris .

Argus story.......

Barnes signs for Seagulls From The Argus)

BHA mad messageboard.......

barnes signs - North Stand Chat

They're delighted, fee reportedly £60k their end which they think is a solid gold bargain, we could so easily have got more, we should so sensibly have waited anyway, ho hum."

If the fee was only 60k that's daylight robbery!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bit surprised at the catchment area comparison, given that they have three league teams in a county with a smaller population I don't get where they get their figures from. However in the main they seem to have high regard for us so not complaining, actually I've always liked Plymouth anyway.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Home Park will be rebuilt if England hosts the 2018 world cup.

If that's the case, let's hope they have as much trouble getting planning permission as we did (after they've demolished it first, of course)

And further down the page
We are a club on the up, have you seen our pitch?
:lolol:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bit surprised at the catchment area comparison, given that they have three league teams in a county with a smaller population ...

...and where rugby is a serious competitor

If that's the case, let's hope they have as much trouble getting planning permission as we did (after they've demolished it first, of course)

Why the hostility to Plymouth? We've never been big rivals of theirs and they've not done us any wrong recently. I wouldn't wish any clubs problems - unless their chairman or fans have been total cocks.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Would love to know what we really paid for Barnes. Read somewhere on here it was £60k which is a bargain , but some numbnuts on the Plymouth board is quoting £250k :lol::lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If that's the case, let's hope they have as much trouble getting planning permission as we did (after they've demolished it first, of course

:lolol:

Why would you wish that on them? They seem a decent enough club to me, reasonably well supported with potential to grow, but who will always tend to suffer because of their geographical location. I don't wish any ill on them: firstly because they sold us Barnes, they also flogged us Garry Nelson on the cheap, and I saw us get promoted there in 2001. Happy days.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
People seem to forget it was a Plymouth supporter that came up with the first idea of Fans United. :clap:

For that and Garry Nelson, I've always had a soft spot for them.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Now isn't that good to read from the supporters of another club - especially after all the negative comments we've (rightly) received about our ground over the past few years!!! :amex: :clap2:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Some interesting comments on there. Nice to see that fans of all clubs seem to have the what club is bigger debate and in their case a lot more constructively than just saying "xxxx is a shithole anyway"

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
i have huge respect for Plymouth - I was at a clients site about six years ago in the northeast and the client was a huge sunderland fan - that night 'o afucking tuesday!!!' we went to see sunderland at home against Plymouth - and for f*** sake they must have had 2,000 travelling fans.

Whatever some berks on here say - that was to me, quite an extraordinary effort.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Plymouth are a good club. I'd say similar size to us and bloody good away support.

I like them

exactly ... one of the few clubs that travel in fairly big numbers to nigh on every game and make a monumental racket everywhere they go

fair play to them .... only truly bad memory I have of Plymouth is when they stuffed us 5-1 :(

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i have huge respect for Plymouth - I was at a clients site about six years ago in the northeast and the client was a huge sunderland fan - that night 'o afucking tuesday!!!' we went to see sunderland at home against Plymouth - and for f*** sake they must have had 2,000 travelling fans.

..and that's a long old poke, isn't it?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
.... only truly bad memory I have of Plymouth is when they stuffed us 5-1 :(

...my memories are tempered by a bloody good pastie for lunch and the fun we had for at least 45 minutes with a blow up Shrek donkey...although getting homophobic abuse from a number of their fans on leaving the ground served to remind me that a corner of this island remains hideously trapped in the nineteenth century!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here