Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What part did the pitch play?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It looked to me like we were ready for the big pitch. In the end Doncaster tired, giving us space. Tired players also get injured easier.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
We certainly did look the more spritely at the end, but that might have been due to our better possession, with the fresh legs of Buckley, Noone, and the untiring CMS :D

I noticed a few players (Dicker and Calderon come to mind) slipping over a lot. Overdoing it with the sprinklers perhaps?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
CMS will be SUCH an asset on our humongous pitch. With his ridiculous stamina levels and constant hounding of the opponents' back-line (including GK), I can see us scoring quite a few late goals this season at home.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
On the TV I noticed a couple of players overrun the bye line. They eventually hit the blue strip and slipped over. Looked a bit hazardous.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's a big pitch and we play a passing style.

If teams want to stop us playing they have to close people down.
If they are chasing people on a big pitch they get tired.
If they get tired, there is more time and space for us on the big pitch.

Win.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I just hope it didn't contribute to the injuries at all. Hayter looked like the injured occured mid-air, so probably nothing to do with teh pitch, but modern day pitches do appear to cause players studs to grip too tightly leading to injuries. I hope that had nothing to do with Sharps injury.

As for the blue slippy surround, I think we are going to see some comedy moments on that. I can see a visiting player going to celebrate behind teh goal with the travelling fans only to slip, slide and crash into the advertising boards. :laugh:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
[MENTION=272]Gritt23[/MENTION] When the pitch was being installed, the company claimed in their promo-garb that it actually reduces injuries because it is softer and springier due to the elastic fibres in the rootzone. I think this was also mentioned in the magazine article that was ported in here involving an interview with our groundsman.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Most new grounds have the same size pitch, wouldn't Donny's be the same??

Keepmoat Stadium pitch dimensions: 70 x 100 metres (according to a quick google search)

AmEx pitch dimensions: 115 x 75 yards (according to today's Guardian sports section)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Funnily enough I thought it worked against us in the first half. We seemed slightly less sure in our decision making and ball retention and Donny didn't seem to have those problems. I think the pitch WILL be a huge advantage once we have got used to it, but I think we are still figuring out the best way to play on it.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Noticed CMS completely slip over on the blue stuff at the North Stand. Hate someone to pick up an injury like that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Keepmoat Stadium pitch dimensions: 70 x 100 metres (according to a quick google search)

AmEx pitch dimensions: 115 x 75 yards (according to today's Guardian sports section)

According to my ipod conversion app, that makes the amex (for direct comparison): 68.6 x 105.1 metres

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Blue stuff did look lethal.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Big pitch means it's harder to sit back on a lead. That's going to work against us too but we benefit overall because we have so many players capable of beating a man and getting in behind a packed defence on the flanks.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I think our players are still getting used to it to. Did anyone see Gus yelling at KLL to get out wide- just before he was sent to the stands- KLL came wider and was still shouted at and Gus was pointing right on the line. When he says wide he obviously means really wide, then after he was sent to stands and just before he disappered down the tunnel he took KLL arm and said something to him while looking right down at the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here