Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What number choice will our next manager be?

What number choice will our next manager be?

• One

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Two

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Three

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Four

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Five

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Six to Ten

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Eleven or higher

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Does anybody think the "Roberto was our number one choice from the start and the only person we spoke to" might not have been 100% truthful? They were hardly gonna say "Roberto was way down our list, but he was the only one who'd take our calls" are they?

So I suspect we won't get our number 1 choice, but they will probably claim we did.

I think it was truthful actually. I just don’t think the candidates this time are as easy, because there are a lot of clubs looking for managers right now, last time it was just us really.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think it was truthful actually. I just don’t think the candidates this time are as easy, because there are a lot of clubs looking for managers right now, last time it was just us really.
Maybe your manager pissing off mid-season in exchange for millions of pounds is actually the best way to play this situation.

Sod all that "planning" lark.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber added, “We looked at a range of excellent candidates but Roberto was our number one choice from the start and the only person we spoke to.

“It’s no secret our chairman is constantly monitoring potential coaches, both here in our domestic leagues, throughout Europe and across the world as part of our succession planning work.

“We feel Roberto is the ideal cultural and technical fit for Brighton & Hove Albion, and the right person to continue the club’s progress and work with this outstanding group of players.”
Same again, innit? ???

They wouldn't claim anything different. Try conjuring with the words needed in a full and frank presser....... doesn't bare thinking about does it.

There is never a need to explain anything to one's second wife (not that things went particularly well in my own case :lolol: ).

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
If we consider how billion-pound-entertainment-businesses are run, we have to acknowledge that there's a good chance Paul Barber is full of shit every now and then. Realistically they had some chats with at least the representatives of other managers, in case it wouldn't work out with De Zerbi.

That he was the number one choice - no reason to doubt it. The football we played with Potter and the football Sassuolo played weren't all that different and the size of the clubs is also comparable - and Roberto had produced results with that. Bloom and Barber may have ignored that Sassuolo often put squad quality above sustainability and their owners having no willingness or capacity to get involved in sports matters.

Its different with us. We're one of very few football clubs where the board will understand football better than the manager. And not through delusion or illusion, but through science.

This time the appointment is different from last time around. When Potter left, we needed a strategical manager who could say "this is the direction we're going". This was important in order to keep insecurity from infesting the team; its a nasty, nasty disease at this level.

Now we need a tactical manager instead, and its much more difficult. We have 90% of the talent required to get to Europe again within two years. Our new lad is not supposed to turn the world upside down - he's supposed to work within our system to carry this players to what they can achieve. And he's supposed to do it on one of the lowest manager wages in the league.

To summarise... We had the freedom to do anything we wanted with our last appointment. We could have gone with pretty much anything and at least stay up. Few reasons not to pick the "fun choice. But this time around, we need the right person/coach or we're in trouble. We need someone truly aligned and dedicated to the way we want to do things. If that, after interviews, turn out to be the third, fourth or thirdyfourth choice, is less interesting.

If there's any time to take our time with our next appointment, its now. The transfer market is going to be uberdead until the Euros are done and there will be more time than in 8 years to prepare ourselves for the coming season.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
If we consider how billion-pound-entertainment-businesses are run, we have to acknowledge that there's a good chance Paul Barber is full of shit every now and then. Realistically they had some chats with at least the representatives of other managers, in case it wouldn't work out with De Zerbi.

That he was the number one choice - no reason to doubt it. The football we played with Potter and the football Sassuolo played weren't all that different and the size of the clubs is also comparable - and Roberto had produced results with that. Bloom and Barber may have ignored that Sassuolo often put squad quality above sustainability and their owners having no willingness or capacity to get involved in sports matters.

Its different with us. We're one of very few football clubs where the board will understand football better than the manager. And not through delusion or illusion, but through science.

This time the appointment is different from last time around. When Potter left, we needed a strategical manager who could say "this is the direction we're going". This was important in order to keep insecurity from infesting the team; its a nasty, nasty disease at this level.

Now we need a tactical manager instead, and its much more difficult. We have 90% of the talent required to get to Europe again within two years. Our new lad is not supposed to turn the world upside down - he's supposed to work within our system to carry this players to what they can achieve. And he's supposed to do it on one of the lowest manager wages in the league.

To summarise... We had the freedom to do anything we wanted with our last appointment. We could have gone with pretty much anything and at least stay up. Few reasons not to pick the "fun choice. But this time around, we need the right person/coach or we're in trouble. We need someone truly aligned and dedicated to the way we want to do things. If that, after interviews, turn out to be the third, fourth or thirdyfourth choice, is less interesting.

If there's any time to take our time with our next appointment, its now. The transfer market is going to be uberdead until the Euros are done and there will be more time than in 8 years to prepare ourselves for the coming season.
Great post, spot on

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Heard at the time from a reliable source that we interviewed someone else before RDZ, so as a rule of thumb tend not to believe the club PR.

How they spin it if we end up with GPott will be interesting

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
First choice - Russell Martin

Club couldn’t do anything until the dust settles on yesterdays play off game - I expect an announcement this week that Southampton have allowed him to speak to us
I wouldn't mind him coming here for a stint. His brand of football is ok....sort of a sedated RDZ, but a bit more zing than Potter. That leaves the booed one to go back to stains with Lallana as a first team coach.
It's all guess work and conspiracy theory nonsense, I haven't got a clue what is going on!

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber added, “We looked at a range of excellent candidates but Roberto was our number one choice from the start and the only person we spoke to.

“It’s no secret our chairman is constantly monitoring potential coaches, both here in our domestic leagues, throughout Europe and across the world as part of our succession planning work.

“We feel Roberto is the ideal cultural and technical fit for Brighton & Hove Albion, and the right person to continue the club’s progress and work with this outstanding group of players.”

I think we all know that media management will dictate that the one that we select and gets the job will have been our first choice.

The others will have been talented coaches that we looked at but for one reason or another, decided that now was not the right time for them to join us.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I wouldn't mind him coming here for a stint. His brand of football is ok....sort of a sedated RDZ, but a bit more zing than Potter. That leaves the booed one to go back to stains with Lallana as a first team coach.
It's all guess work and conspiracy theory nonsense, I haven't got a clue what is going on!
You may have this one right.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This number one choice stuff is just nonsense though isn’t it. Media generated nonsense. I’m sure in reality they have a top five or so. Find out if all would consider the job and then talk to them and decide who they want. No different from any other job is it? How do you know they’re your first choice until you’ve spoken to them?

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if it is first, second or tenth choice. If it works out well on the pitch next season, who cares? McKenna/Martin/A. N. Other could have arrived as first choice and been SHITEHOUSE.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If it's our 4683rd choice in the form of Steve Bruce i might question the process.
They should reach me before then. So you'll see me with the scarf.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Maybe your manager pissing off mid-season in exchange for millions of pounds is actually the best way to play this situation.

Sod all that "planning" lark.

You're probably onto something there. When you're advertising a job vacancy when 4th in the league its very attractive indeed. Probably less so when the departing manager has moaned about the clubs ambition for the best part of four months.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Seems like this guy might have been on the list.

I always think there's a chance with these kind of statements that when they say "offer", they really mean an approach offering a chance to join the process of being considered (amongst quite a few others), or perhaps any stage up to actually being made an official offer for the job.

So it might have been a chat to this agent "We like the look of Jindřich. Does he fancy an initial VC chat with David Weir before maybe coming over to Lancing for an interview?" rather than "Congratulations Jindřich, you have aced our interview process and passed the NDT. We'd like to offer you £3m per season, starting ASAP. What do you say?"

Last edited:

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Translation of the full article:

inFotbal.cz

Home Premier League Brighton

Trpišovský: I had an offer from Western Europe in the summer. Brighton were interested in the Slavia coach​

author: Jiří Novák

05. 09. 2024
And And
Jindřich Trpišovský

PHOTO: SK Slavia Prague

During his time at Slavia, Jindřich Trpišovský gained a reputation that very few Czech football coaches in history could boast of. With successes and good performances comes interest from abroad.

The 48-year-old coach had several offers on the table, with England being the most interesting. Specifically, Nottingham Forest. "Nottingham was in the second division at the time and wanted to advance. There was one person who knew Jiří Müller and wanted us," Trpišovský said in an interview for Radiožurnál Sport. "That was something I thought about a lot," he admitted.
An interesting proposal landed in Prague this summer as well. Jindřich Trpišovský did not reveal the specific club, he only hinted at it with a few clues - a seaside town in Western Europe.

According to inFotbal.cz information, the Czech coach negotiated with English Brighton. After the departure of Robert De Zerbi, he was one of the few names on the shortlist, but in the end he stayed in Slavia for various reasons.
Brighton subsequently reached an agreement with 31-year-old Fabian Hürzeler, who came from St. Pauli in Germany.
"It was very difficult to refuse. It will make you very happy, I appreciate that they were interested in me," said Jindřich Trpišovský. At the same time, he hinted that he could join the club in the future.
Most offers come to Slavia coaches from the Arab world, but he says he does not feel like such an engagement. "I can't imagine coaching in Saudi Arabia or Qatar," the coach commented on the potential departure to the Middle East.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here