Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What now for the seagulls party?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Recently received an e mail reminding me that my renewal is due. Now we've got planning permission and the deadline has passed i was just wondering if there is any point in renewing, or have the objectives of the party been met? Not as if we had any other policies was it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have asked them the same with my renewal mail as I think it has achieved what it set out to do.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It's £1. I've renewed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
good point...Beachy.

Seems like its achieved its goals

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Surely there's still work to be done in 'influencing' the local councils around Falmer?

As the construction process starts, and continues, I'm sure it would be helpful to have some 'friendly' representation on the bodies that make decisions that will affect our matchday experience.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
why though mate?

we achieved what we were set up to do ???

Fair point that Falmer was forefront - but when you take a wander through the manifestos there was quite a bit more "local" issue stuff as well....I'll take a look tomorrow at the website and copy off a few things if they don't mind...

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
The renewal invitations went out in July, before we had the stadium decision, as that is when the membership year ended (July to June). I recently reminded (via email) anyone who wants to renew that they need to do so before the end of September.

I sincerely hope that the need for the Seagulls Party is over - I don't want to be campaigning any more, I want to get on with the rest of my life!

However, until we are actually sitting in the stadium, or at least until all the contracts are signed, permissions granted on reserved matters, etc, it's probably prudent to keep the party ticking over "just in case". (Mind you, there are no local elections due until 2011 and we hope to be in the stadium by then.)

So we were asking those interested in remaining members to contribute just the one pound subscription - no need for donations, thank you - so that we can record your interest and re-register you as members.

It may well be that, come the annual party conference in February, members may decide to wind the party up, or perhaps mothball it with membership frozen. But to do things in line with the constitution, including any winding up, we do need a legitimate membership to decide matters. We - the officers - can't just decide to fold it ourselves. It has assets for a start, and the members must decide what happens to them in line with the party rules.

Once we are absolutely certain that the Seagulls Party has no further use then we can consign it to history. I don't think we are quite at that stage yet, but I thank all those members past and present for their support and efforts in helping win the battle.

Tim Carder
Secretary
The Seagulls Party

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The seagulls party has to continue to exist so that a candidate can stand in the next general election to expose the hypocracy of local politics in Lewes.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We still need the Seagulls Party as the need for campaigning is NOT over.

I think we all agree now that Falmer is totally the wrong place for a stadium as it offers no room for expansion (something to do with sustainable transport). It will be a great Plan B, a fallback option, but now we've got to concentrate on the real battle - getting planning permission for a 50,000 stadium plus hotel, shopping mall and heliport at Waterhall. This is ESSENTIAL if the club has any ambitions of competing at the top level.

Start the campaign ball rolling will you please History Man? Ta.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The seagulls party has to continue to exist so that a candidate can stand in the next general election to expose the hypocracy of local politics in Lewes.

The Seagulls Party was formed to defer votes away from LDC as they were so anti the Stadium.

I don't think it was formed to expose anything else (was it ?)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They will be required in 5 years time when we're selling out every week and the nimby are whinging at the prospect of 8,000 extra seats being added. :cool:

I'd like to think that no more campaigning will be needed. But we've all been through so much in the last fifteen years that there's a bit of me that still says "Wait and see".

Are we really sure that all of the Brighton & Hove politicians are as supportive as they were when the Council was Labour controlled? I hope so, but there hasn't yet been a real test.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'd like to think that no more campaigning will be needed. But we've all been through so much in the last fifteen years that there's a bit of me that still says "Wait and see".

Are we really sure that all of the Brighton & Hove politicians are as supportive as they were when the Council was Labour controlled? I hope so, but there hasn't yet been a real test.

I see it as needing to exist in a "We haven't gone away, you know" mode until the stadium is built, open and played in. However as I'm not a member* my view doesn't really count does it.

*as I'm a member of another party with an exclusivity clause in its constitution....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here