Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What match did Paul Jewell watch today?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Gus bascially said , if you defend with a high line v a pace attack watch out. We could all see what was going to happen, but Jewell couldn't, no wonder they've shipped so many goals. Anyway it's just another manager trying to cover his back after spending alot of money then getting it wrong.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Jewell only needs to look at himself to find out why they lost. We have pace all over our team, so he decides to play the highest defensive line I have seen in decades. No team plays the offside trap so far up the pitch any more.

I couldn't believe Jewell's tactics, surprised we didn't get in behind them more with our pace
If Lua Lua had been on first half think we would've scored a hatful
I'm glad they didn't play Jimmy Bullard too as he was their best player at Portman Road against us

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Ipswich could have changed the game in the first half if their chances had gone in and ours had not - they looked good coming forward and dire at the back. Second half they were made to look very very poor.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Why does anyone care what another manager says. He has his own agenda, whether it is towards his board to "up" how his team played, or towards his own players to keep their confidence up. He has no obligation to praise a team that's beaten his. What does it matter what he says, I don't understand why anyone bothers about it, I really don't.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ipswich caused us a lot of problems in the first half, especially Martin and Chopra, and Gus admitted this himself. He made a couple of minor tactical alterations at half-time, when we were probably slightly fortunate to actually be ahead, and then ultimately Ipswich finished a well beaten team. Jewell's not so far off with his analysis.

Agreed

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why does anyone care what another manager says. He has his own agenda, whether it is towards his board to "up" how his team played, or towards his own players to keep their confidence up. He has no obligation to praise a team that's beaten his. What does it matter what he says, I don't understand why anyone bothers about it, I really don't.

Possibly because this is a football forum where people like to discuss opinions? Just a thought.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Possibly because this is a football forum where people like to discuss opinions? Just a thought.

That's fair enough, I'm not bothered discussing it at all, but what does it matter what he says, or what he thinks. If he said " we outplayed them for the whole match and should have won 7-0" - it means nothing. Just pointing out that he's not exactly unbiased, is he.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's fair enough, I'm not bothered discussing it at all, but what does it matter what he says, or what he thinks. If he said " we outplayed them for the whole match and should have won 7-0" - it means nothing. Just pointing out that he's not exactly unbiased, is he.

I agree, his comments were just designed to cover his side's poor result. It would be refreshing if a manager would just own up to being second best for a change.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I agree, his comments were just designed to cover his side's poor result. It would be refreshing if a manager would just own up to being second best for a change.

Agree, only certain managers do. I know many people don't like him, but many a time I have heard Roy Hodgson say things like "fair play to xxx, they were the better team and deserved to win" - generally it's managers who have nothing to prove to anyone, I would say.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Rubbish - we could/should have scored 3 or 4 more. CMS off the bar, Barnes and Vokes going within inches of scoring, and Buckley going just wide.

Yes they had there chances but we defended them. E.g Greer clearing off the line.

We was by far the better team.

Paul Jewell, second most deluded manager in the league? First being Adkins of course.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Almost as deluded as Freedman's comments that Palace had 'dominated' us at Selhurst.

Apart from that chance in the first half (created by a poor back pass by us), they only had a few long range efforts.

As well as scoring the three goals, we should have had two more when CMS hit the bar and when Buckley turned the defender but shot wide.

His analysis is laughable too - not only about the first goal being a 'catalogue of errors' but the second being a mistake by their goalkeeper! I thought it was just a great strike!

If I was an Ipswich fan, I'd be well pissed off. There's nothing worse than a manager trying to cover up for a poor result by trying to make out they were unlucky when it was obviously not the case. He'd be better off just saying we were the better side and deserved to win.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
According to Jewell our first goal was a "catalogue of errors".

So that was the superb defence-splitting ball from Greer to Buckley, the early cross, and the neat close-range finish from CMS giving the keeper no chance ?

Yeah, Keystone Cops stuff from them. :rolleyes:

Amex goal of the season for me so far. Absolutely stunning. If Man Utd had scored it, everyone would be creaming themselves about how fast defence was turned into attack and a goal.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
According to Jewell our first goal was a "catalogue of errors".

So that was the superb defence-splitting ball from Greer to Buckley, the early cross, and the neat close-range finish from CMS giving the keeper no chance ?

Yeah, Keystone Cops stuff from them. :rolleyes:

It was a sweet goal and the result of Buckley repeatedly hugging the line and creating acres of space between himself and Cresswell - in fact he gave this lad a torrid day, especially considering that some Town fans I was speaking to said they felt he was their standout talent.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Am i the only one who thought it was a pretty even game first half and despite being 1 up I thought 3 points was by no means a foregone conclusion?

Obviously our goal was outstanding (dont think youll see a better counter attacking goal all season) and CMS should have scored again with the header, but going forward 1st half i thought they looked dangerous.

Second half we bullied them and looked very comfortable (I think it was our best home performance in the league thsi season) and were deserved winners. Jewells comments are hugely innacurate but I was impressed with Ipswich first half and could see why they had won their previous 4 in a row.

Reading some comments on here most of you would disagree with me and thought Ipswich were shyte?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think we need to ignore one or two weaknesses at our peril. They weren't the first side and won't be the last to create mayhem in our defence cutting in from the corners of the box and highlighting Brez's difficulty dealing with fast low crosses. Jewell had a reasonable point that they could, maybe should, have got a couple of goals (two off the line - Greer and Bridcutt - and one cross that passed Brez and travelled right across the six yard box and really should have got a touch). That said their unbelievably naive tactics pretty well gave us three points. They were never going to defend with a high line against the pace and passing ability we possess and on a "perfect" day we could have scored six or seven. My feeling is that as our confidence develops in our ability to mix-up the passing a bit more, we are going to give someone in this league an absolute pasting but we are always going to be vulnerable just inside the fullbacks.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
It was a sweet goal and the result of Buckley repeatedly hugging the line and creating acres of space between himself and Cresswell - in fact he gave this lad a torrid day, especially considering that some Town fans I was speaking to said they felt he was their standout talent.

I thought the first goal was very poor defending from Ipswich. Greer had all the time and space in the world to move into and pass (an admittedly fantastic) a 60 yard ball into the path of Buckley. The left back was caught too far wide leaving a massive gap between him and the centre back (He kept doing it) and CMS lost his marker far too easily. So an easy, simple, but good goal from Brighton's point of view, but it could and should have been easily stopped.

However the rest of his statement was well off... CMS hit the bar when he should have scored. Buckley missed an easy chance after a brilliant turn and Vokes missed what looked like a simple header at the end. Ipswich had spells where they looked ok, but never created a chance themselves.

Why does Paul Jewell continue to get good jobs?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Am i the only one who thought it was a pretty even game first half and despite being 1 up I thought 3 points was by no means a foregone conclusion?

Obviously our goal was outstanding (dont think youll see a better counter attacking goal all season) and CMS should have scored again with the header, but going forward 1st half i thought they looked dangerous.

Second half we bullied them and looked very comfortable (I think it was our best home performance in the league thsi season) and were deserved winners. Jewells comments are hugely innacurate but I was impressed with Ipswich first half and could see why they had won their previous 4 in a row.

Reading some comments on here most of you would disagree with me and thought Ipswich were shyte?

I pretty much agree with what you say there. Ipswich were no Coventry, who were the worst team IMO to visit us thus far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here