Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what makes the albion unattractive to players?

Taxman

I've got beautiful eyes
Oct 16, 2006
I think we're alone now
Why is it players want away, or chose not to come here?
Murray and Lynch want away. Whing wont sign up, Owusu left, Dicker wont commit. Crowe has had ages to decide on us, and opted elsewhere. Same for Simpson and Theo Robinson I guess.

From what I can tell we have
a new rich chairman
money to spend to strengthen the squad in all areas
our wages are very competitive
pretty decent, well respected manager
fan base is quite good, especially away games
new stadium on the way
pretty good shout of first team, regular football
located in one of the best cities in the country
on a bit of upward momentum after the finish to last season

just an observation that more people want out, than in, so why is that???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Money.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Poor facilities/stadia.
Expensive house prices.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Murray wants to go home - nothing to do with the club
Lynch fell out with Adams - nothing to do with the club
Owusu security of 2 years deal
Dicker apparently wants to sign but Stockport holding it up (if you beleive what is written on here)
Crowe Leeds might have offered more, they are a bigger club (25k + every week) - not really the clubs fault
Whing who knows
The others don't know but if someone wants to pay more than we are willing to not really much you can do is there apart from pay silly money. All in all wait until the season starts before saying no one wants to play here!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
NSC slagging them off before they get here ?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Why is it players want away, or chose not to come here?
Murray and Lynch want away. Whing wont sign up, Owusu left, Dicker wont commit. Crowe has had ages to decide on us, and opted elsewhere. Same for Simpson and Theo Robinson I guess.

From what I can tell we have
a new rich chairman
money to spend to strengthen the squad in all areas
our wages are very competitive
pretty decent, well respected manager
fan base is quite good, especially away games
new stadium on the way
pretty good shout of first team, regular football
located in one of the best cities in the country
on a bit of upward momentum after the finish to last season

just an observation that more people want out, than in, so why is that???

Lots of different reasons and I wouldn't read into it too much.

Lynch has an attitude.
Murray's partner isn't happy down south.
Whing/Crowe have had the opportunity to talk to 'bigger' clubs ie Leeds.
Owusu was offered a stack of cash and the opportunity to play in the Southern Hemisphere's version of the Champions League.
Theo Robinson wants to be closer to Birmingham and his family.
We haven't had an acceptable offer for Simpson.

It's not just one reason, they all have there own agenda's, nothing more!

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
i think its the calibre of player we are going for this year, Huddersfield are looking good as Leeds always do the players we are going for are top end league 1 players not your run of the mill types.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ignoring the want away players, which I believe all clubs have, it's probably the fact that we haven't made a realistic bid for good players, i.e offered peanuts where other clubs are offering the going wage or haven't actually put in a bid at all. I have no idea if things will change but it appears we wait until the 11th hour, assumably because of our much lauded "tightly run ship" mentality before going for players, leaving us with what's left rather than who we'd like. f***ing frustrating but has gone with being an Albion fan for more than a decade. :shrug:

Once the players are here, we SEEM to have a take it or leave it attitude to negotiating extensions and generally leave that until the 11th hour as well.

Taxman

I've got beautiful eyes
Oct 16, 2006
I think we're alone now
i think its the calibre of player we are going for this year, Huddersfield are looking good as Leeds always do the players we are going for are top end league 1 players not your run of the mill types.

arent we doing a hudderfield though? suddenly with money to burn trying to attract a good calibre of player? just seems Huddersfield will pip us to more players.

Still think we will get some great players though

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Dick Tight and his lickers

Should that be Tony B and his circumcision suckers perhaps?
Just a tad out of date there Ernest!

On topic, I reckon all of the above are factors...we are up against some pretty big hitters for the best players available in this league....the fact that we need more players in than most may give us all cause for concern but by the start of the season hopefully we will have a squad sufficient to hold its own in mid table. Anything more this year would be little short of miraculous.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Rewind a few seasons and McGhee couldn’t sign anyone for love nor money because he was aiming too high. Given the choice of any other club in the Championship or us and few if any came here except those deemed too risky or not good enough by other managers. Some came off like Darren Currie and Kazim Richards but plenty didn’t. Turienzo, Molongo (except for the first 10 seconds at Reading) and Albert Jarrett spring to mind. Meanwhile, players like Alan Lee and Darren Byfield went to others instead of us and played consistently well.

Whilst its (very) early days I am a little concerned history is repeating itself. Loft, Fraser and the like aren’t good enough for a sustained promotion push but I’m not convinced we are going to attract the kind of players who are. We are still 2 years away from Falmer and the McAlpine (or whatever it’s now called) is a much more attractive proposition than an athletics track. Simpson looked like a safe ish bet at this level. Owusu proved he was. Dicker, Whing and Crowe certainly are upper league 1 level and none of them have yet signed. Murray is class and he looks like he is off. That is potentially the nucleus of a team.

We need to recognise our place in the pecking order. Leeds and Huddersfield are more attractive propositions at the moment. We on the other hand are a better bet than Shrewsbury, Port vale, Yeovil and the like. We will sign players accordingly.

brightonmad999

Jan 31, 2008
shoreham
we will never get good players like the one we hav been saying on here because we need to realistic we will hav do wiv with whats left coz all the good players would hav gone to bigger clubs thats just my view on this

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
"Should that be Tony B and his circumcision suckers perhaps?"

Very very close to a ban IMHO. Just a tad racist maybe?? Let alone very disrespectful to TB who has yet to put a foot wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rewind a few seasons and McGhee couldn’t sign anyone for love nor money because he was aiming too high. .

Well you've got that seriously wrong, surely you know it was because he was a lardy jocko clown racist and that is the ONLY reason players wouldn't come here? I know this, because I read it on here adfinitum.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
"Should that be Tony B and his circumcision suckers perhaps?"

Very very close to a ban IMHO. Just a tad racist maybe?? Let alone very disrespectful to TB who has yet to put a foot wrong.

my apologies...was intended to take the piss out of Ernest who is constantly (and still) taking it out of DK

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Isn't there still this rule about the salaries not being higher than 60% of turnover or income? If this is the case, salaries will be an issue for many.

Unless Tony Bloom's extra financial input counts as 'income', in which case, ignore the above.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Rewind a few seasons and McGhee couldn’t sign anyone for love nor money because he was aiming too high. Given the choice of any other club in the Championship or us and few if any came here except those deemed too risky or not good enough by other managers. Some came off like Darren Currie and Kazim Richards but plenty didn’t. Turienzo, Molongo (except for the first 10 seconds at Reading) and Albert Jarrett spring to mind. Meanwhile, players like Alan Lee and Darren Byfield went to others instead of us and played consistently well.

Whilst its (very) early days I am a little concerned history is repeating itself. Loft, Fraser and the like aren’t good enough for a sustained promotion push but I’m not convinced we are going to attract the kind of players who are. We are still 2 years away from Falmer and the McAlpine (or whatever it’s now called) is a much more attractive proposition than an athletics track. Simpson looked like a safe ish bet at this level. Owusu proved he was. Dicker, Whing and Crowe certainly are upper league 1 level and none of them have yet signed. Murray is class and he looks like he is off. That is potentially the nucleus of a team.

We need to recognise our place in the pecking order. Leeds and Huddersfield are more attractive propositions at the moment. We on the other hand are a better bet than Shrewsbury, Port vale, Yeovil and the like. We will sign players accordingly.

Leading us to sign players that are unproven, or a bit too old, and every now and again a roll of the dice will come good.

We've been here before, but I'm reassured that RS knows how to get players to perform, both individually and as a team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here