Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made you a Brighton fan?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As a nipper I was a Liverpool fan :shrug: my mum would take me to Liverpool for tours of the ground etc, but one day (late 80's) I just decided I should support my local team and that was that really! I remember reading an Albion programme trying to learn the players names, and me being the odd one out at school cos I didn't support Arsenal or Man Utd. It's been long and not always filled with glory but it's been fun...and I think we're just getting warmed up

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
For me it was a school outing arranged by our P.E teacher (cottesmore St Marys). He took the whole class to a match circa 1979. Cant remember the team we were playing just remember the Goldstone being packed. Completely got me hooked to football and hence the Albion.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I always remember when at school, Angmering Comp and Littlehampton Comp always having a very, very healthy Albion following in the 70's.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
World Cup 1966... i was 13.. wanted to start watching my wonderful local team. August 1966..Millwall at the Goldstone..east terraces. Front row ..half way line. It pissed down for hours.. i loved it and have loved this club forever and a day . Brighton till i die !

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Its a family tradition - My great Grandfather, Grandfather, Mother/ Father and my brother as well! Plus it's our home team

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Dad took to my first game in 1984, we used to stand on the east terraces me with my blue and white stool coz i was a bit of a midgit. Was enthralled, pitch looked amazing. Also remember picking up bad words from the north stand boys that i didnt even know the meaning of. After one match i was playing footie all around the house singing: the referees a wanker, the referees a wanker. Dad ticked me off, and i was like what? :)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
My Granddad and brother were fans but really I just liked football in general until my first ever live game. Gary Williams' blooter against Forest had me hooked forever....

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I remember a midweek game immediately before the Blackpool game (when we narrowly missed promotion to div 1 in 1979). I cant remember who we were playing (Oldham?) but there were 30,000 in the ground that night and Malcolm Poskett scored the only goal in front of the north stand with about 10 minutes left. I was in the ns that night and the memory still makes my spine tingle 32 years later!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Looks like most of us can thank our dads - just imagine if he hadn't taken me to that game against Cardiff in Nov '72....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My dad took me to Chelsea in 69/70 for my first ever game (and subsequent games) and Pompey v Cardiff around 1972 (why dad God rest your soul?)... even then Fratton Park was a shithole!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
My Dad was a hammers fan, and not at all interested in taking me to the Goldstone. But a friend of the family took me aged 8 to Brighton v Millwall 1976 (Mum would never have let me go if she knew anything about their reputation) But he assured my Dad that we would be in the West Stand well away from the trouble. The rest as they say is history. Now aged 43, I get just as excited now as I did that day 35 years ago.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Having kids.

My dad never took me to football or told me who to 'support' although we watched every bit of football there was on the tv together. So I grew up an armchair Man Utd 'fan', only going to a handful of games with a mate when in my teens.

I was determined for my kids not to grow up the same way. I already listened to Albion games and Harty on Radio Sussex anyway, and then when my boy was old enough I took him to our first Albion game and we've been hooked ever since. We've only been going since the back end of the 2005/06 season but from 2006/07 have been regular at home and a fair few aways.

From this season my 6yr old girl will be joining us for as many home games as she wants to come to. She's been to Luton & Millwall away and Withdean twice a couple of seasons ago but wasn't overly impressed.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
because I was born there and lived there most of my life and my kids still live in the area as I will soon

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My father likes to watch good football. He is not passionate about watching football for the sake of it. More of a rugby and cricket man.

I was a Liverpool fan in the very early days, but Sammy Nelson took my school football team to watch Brighton and the rest is history.

I drag the old man to watch Brighton, I am the only naturalized Brightonian in the family, along with my sister.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
I remember a midweek game immediately before the Blackpool game (when we narrowly missed promotion to div 1 in 1979). I cant remember who we were playing (Oldham?) but there were 30,000 in the ground that night and Malcolm Poskett scored the only goal in front of the north stand with about 10 minutes left. I was in the ns that night and the memory still makes my spine tingle 32 years later!

Against Charlton...69th minute

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here