Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What lovely people Coventry have.....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
About May 1979 I reckon.
No crime was ever committed before 1979, FACT.
Think you mean May 2010. Not sure we had any riots and looting before then. Appart from 1990 and 1984 and 1981. Strange it always happens when the tories are in.
So it's always lefties, unhappy with the choice made by the majority. I guess it's like Greece - they weren't rioting when the government ignored the problem and spunked the money, but now they're facing the music there are riots.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought i read a while ago about hoodlums pretending to be wardens in world war 2 stealing from anywhere they could, falsely moving people from their homes and thieving whatever was left behind. So we've always been swines, really, unable to guess or care for the effect of all that's dared to be done. But "self-interest" was certainly a Thatcher motto and personal gain grotesquely acceptable at all costs since, largely because people will vote for that which feeds and funds them more.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I thought i read a while ago about hoodlums pretending to be wardens in world war 2 stealing from anywhere they could, falsely moving people from their homes and thieving whatever was left behind. So we've always been swines, really, unable to guess or care for the effect of all that's dared to be done. But "self-interest" was certainly a Thatcher motto and personal gain grotesquely acceptable at all costs since, largely because people will vote for that which feeds and funds them more.

One person's view of it as the need for greed and personal gain, is another person's opportunity to better themselves and achieve

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
One person's view of it as the need for greed and personal gain, is another person's opportunity to better themselves and achieve

True, but i'm of the thinking that success doesn't amount to how many physical or financial assets i have. One can better oneself greatly without the need to crush those around you in order to look more beglittered. Those in power are sellers of a wrongful dream, i think.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
No crime was ever committed before 1979, FACT.
So it's always lefties, unhappy with the choice made by the majority. I guess it's like Greece - they weren't rioting when the government ignored the problem and spunked the money, but now they're facing the music there are riots.

To be fair, the greek people didn't know the Govt was spunking all the money at the time. No one did. And the riots here weren't about the economy. They were about the police.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
True, but i'm of the thinking that success doesn't amount to how many physical or financial assets i have. One can better oneself greatly without the need to crush those around you in order to look more beglittered. Those in power are sellers of a wrongful dream, i think.

There were plenty of successful people under Thatcher. Not everyone "crushed" all around them in order to get there. Some just worked hard.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair, the greek people didn't know the Govt was spunking all the money at the time. No one did. And the riots here weren't about the economy. They were about the police.
Of course the greek people knew. Do you think they really believed that everyone could work for the council for a few hours a week and then retire early, with all the bills being paid by the god in the sky? And many riots were about the changing retirement age, cuts in pension etc. It would be ok if it was just some anger about the police, but harsh austerity measures are required and the people don't want to accept them.

All together:
They burnt their own town,
they burnt their own town.
The stupida bastards,

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Of course the greek people knew. Do you think they really believed that everyone could work for the council for a few hours a week and then retire early, with all the bills being paid by the god in the sky? And many riots were about the changing retirement age, cuts in pension etc. It would be ok if it was just some anger about the police, but harsh austerity measures are required and the people don't want to accept them.

All together:
They burnt their own town,
The stupida bastards,

Well everyone believed it here too. Bet you weren't sitting there back in 2004 going "It'll all end in tears" were you? I agree with the point you're making that we have to take some responsibility ourselves as well as the Government, as do the Greek people, but I think most people actually thought the Government might know what they were doing. People couldn't stop banging on about what a great chancellor Gordon Brown was and not just stupid people.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well everyone believed it here too. Bet you weren't sitting there back in 2004 going "It'll all end in tears" were you?
But it hasn't all ended in tears. It's not great at the moment, just like it's not been great in previous down-turns, but it's really not that bad is it. If it was bad we wouldn't all be arguing about the latest Barnes performance, and whether they'd run out of pies. To suggest that we 'believed it here too' is completely missing the Greek problem. As far as I can tell, Greece has a long history of living beyond its means, and their current meltdown was coming with or without a global recession.

I agree with the point you're making that we have to take some responsibility ourselves as well as the Government, as do the Greek people, but I think most people actually thought the Government might know what they were doing.
I'd be interested to learn what the Greeks thought 5/10 years ago. Who they thought was paying for everything. That said, I do have sympathy for the people as individuals, because it's difficult to stand against the system. Fortunately our work culture is somewhat better.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
this is where NSC falls apart ........sticking the prong into shyte cities that are far more mixed than sunny brightonium........you lot give with one hand and take away with the other ...........don't want to hear any more "racism or homophopic" accusations on here any more.................have you been to cov by the way...??

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Irrespective of party politics, there has and always will be scumbags cheating, stealing and ripping vulnerable people off. It's part of the human condition, just fortunate that most of us manage to keep these feelings in check and the scumbags are a minority, all be it a noisy one.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here