Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what is your first ever memory of Brighton

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The dolphinarium in 1971.

This for me too, in about 1974 or 1975. Getting a thrill from seeing Missy and Silver do their stuff (or their predecessors) and thinking how wonderful they were - little did I know as a 5 or 6 year old that it was cruel and they were in a tank that was far too small. I loved the sea lions too (or am I getting confused with Windsor Safari Park?) Unfortunately I don't have any memories from 0 to 1 year old, the only time I actually lived in Brighton.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Mine goes back to the late 50's when I used to get put on the Brighton Belle at Victoria and then, once I got to Brighton Station, I had to make my way outside to catch the trolley bus down to London Road/St Paul's Street where my grandparents lived. I remember the fare was three farthings and my parents always made sure I had the exact money. I used to look out for Killie's grocery store on the corner of St Paul's Street and the green painted fence of the coalyard next door to know where to get off. I guess I was six or seven years old. My abiding memory is of the live-wire catcher on top of the trolley bus having to regularly be put back on by the conductor with a long pole because it jumped and broke the connection when crossing over junctions, and the unique smell of electricity and hot oil that the trolley buses had..

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Blimey, an enjoyable nostalgic thread, with no abuse!

Seeing the Brazil 1970 kit in the window of Swift Sports is not one of my earliest memories, but every time I drive past I can still remember longing to have it when I was on the top deck of the 127 as a 9 year old. I eventually got it that Christmas, I was made up. Pele, Jazinho, Rivelinho, Tostao, Carlos Alberto, what a team. Carlos Alberto with the best goal ever, in a World Cup final as well.
Can't believe Swift Sports is still going, fair play.

D

Deleted User X18H

Arriving in Hove Ward, Buckingham Road Hospital back in 69.Covered in goo and having 'Brightonian' branded onto my thigh.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Walking down some grotty wet steps outside of churchill square (before it was churchill sqaure) hearing the Salvation army playing Christmas songs.

Walking around the back of the Brighton centre and my step mum saying that A-HA getting off the coach...

Walking through the south laines and wanting one of those 80's dancing flowers...
Dancing%20Flower-769756.jpg

my first 3 memories...

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Oh shit and PIRATES DEEP... best place in Brighton

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Rocko's watch shop on Queens Road

Rag freak in the Quadrant

The Rotunda Cafe in Preston Parlk

The Car Ride in that area near the Aquarium

The Joke shop outisd the Pier

The Rockery opposite Preston Park

The grave yard near Preston Manor

Cycle racing in PP on Thurdya Evenings.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Mine goes back to the late 50's when I used to get put on the Brighton Belle at Victoria and then, once I got to Brighton Station, I had to make my way outside to catch the trolley bus down to London Road/St Paul's Street where my grandparents lived. I remember the fare was three farthings and my parents always made sure I had the exact money. I used to look out for Killie's grocery store on the corner of St Paul's Street and the green painted fence of the coalyard next door to know where to get off. I guess I was six or seven years old. My abiding memory is of the live-wire catcher on top of the trolley bus having to regularly be put back on by the conductor with a long pole because it jumped and broke the connection when crossing over junctions, and the unique smell of electricity and hot oil that the trolley buses had..

Gosh, you were from a posh family if you got put on the Pullman to visit your grandparents, we had to make do with the ordinary green trains when we travelled on good old British Railways.

One of my earliest memories is going to watch them film "Oh What a Lovely War" on the West Pier. We also used to go rock pooling at Black Rock before they built the Marina - you used to be able to see the foundations of the Daddy Long Legs that ran towards Rottingdean.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Picking up on a few places already mentioned:
My aunty lived in Boss's Gardens in a terrace that was an end terrace due to next door having been bombed.
The Brighton Belle was not that expensive. when the day return to london for a kid was 6/- the supplement was probably 1/- each way. (In those days, my early teens you could go to a London match - train, tube, entrance and programme for less than ten bob!)
Pool Valley - where you caught a 'country' bus (Southdown) from. An amazingly tight entrance for the buses that was shared with pedestrians, buses backing on to the stands, people everywhere, diesel fumes from very old engines, smoking, etc. 'Health and safety' would have a field day nowadays.
My own memories: Wild Park. The Allen West hooter and mass exodus. Falmer pumping station. Tennis court and stand at Withdean. Gas works and coal fired power station at Portslade/Shoreham harbour. Shoreham wooden toll bridge.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The dolphinarium

This for me too, in about 1974 or 1975. Getting a thrill from seeing Missy and Silver do their stuff (or their predecessors) and thinking how wonderful they were - little did I know as a 5 or 6 year old that it was cruel and they were in a tank that was far too small.

This circa 1973 when I was four years old and my gran making me an indian headdress out of seagull feathers off the beach.

jebus the world was wonderful and so simple at that age.

Last edited:

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I lived Behind Allen West, now Mithras House, in about 1966 and can remember everyone coming out at lunchtime. I can also remember the soldiers on the gate at Preston Barracks and being very scared of them. Wasn't so scared about 15 years after that when I went to work there!

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Early fifties- getting off the bus at the Clock Tower, walking round to Queens Road to look in the window of Clapshaw and Cleave Sports Shop ( near where the Seagulls shop used to be) then up to Gamleys, across the road and down the slope to my Gran's house in Spring Gardens - right where the electricity station is!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think the very first is either seeing Jurassic Park at the Marina cinema with my Dad (who then roared in the tunnel that runs next to the cinema to the car park and scared the life out of me) or meeting my grandparents at the play park by Hove Lagoon. Not positive, but I think the Marina is probably the earlier one.

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
Holding a nurses hand as I was taken aged 3 up the stairs that went around the lift in the Childrens' Hospital in Dyke Road to have an operation to straighten my left thumb. Still have the scar 60 years later!

Shopping in St. James' Street in the 1950s with my mother and in particular visiting Woolworths and buying fantastic fruit pies in Sainsburys. Trolley buses going in both directions in St. James' Street. There use to be a man selling fresh fish off a horse drawn barrow at the foot of High Street. The sound of the bells on the car ride on the seafront. The external glitter ball on the Palace Pier. The glass doors on the Woodhouses furniture store in St. James' Street - walked into once! The playground in the Queen's Park infant school being flooded with fuel that had leaked from the bus garage next door - turned the tarmac soft. Cardboard bus tickets being clipped by the conductor. Ex-serviceman with missing limb selling matches in the street all year round and poppies on Armistice Day when all the buses and trollies stopped at 11am. Buying Smarties from the Maynards sweet shop at the foot of St. James's Street prior to the weekly cinema visit with my parents. Having tea with Brighton Tigers' Canadian players who stayed in a B&B in High Street. Enough now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here