Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is your favourite aircraft

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ah yes a good old jack of all trades Douglas DC3, or Dakota as the military versions were called. Saw countless years service for many airlines and air forces around the world.

I think the oldest aircraft l have ever flown on was the Bristol Britannia, an ex BOAC machine that had been sold on to the charter outfit Monarch. The flight would have been in the early 1970's..

Have you ever flown in a Dakota? Ghastly, it put me off flying.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
IMG_0026.jpeg

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Tough question. Snap answer is the Vulcan but the SR71 is a contender as are the Phantom and Lightning. Nothing brings a misty eye like a Spitfire. And then for aerobatics there is that crazy vectored Mig.

OK, if I have to choose one I stick with my first choice. Nothing looks like it or sounds like it. Vulcan it is.
Still a Vulcan

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
So many to choose from.
A-10, F4, SR-71, Tornado, Mig-29, F-14, Concorde, Vulcan, Vampire, Typhoon, Rafale, Mirage, Gripen, F-117, Su-57.

If I really had to pick a favourite it would probably be the A-10, just for the bbrrrrrrrr!!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just want to throw this beauty into the mix too, sadly I never got to see it for real:

1200px-Antonov_An-225_Beltyukov-1.jpg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My grandad was an RAF engineer at Scampton in Lincolnshire during the second word war, so I have a lot of affection for the Lancasters, Wellingtons and Halifax bombers of that era...but my favourite is the Bristol Beaufighter, cool looking and versatile and often found in the great Commando comic book.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
My grandad was an RAF engineer at Scampton in Lincolnshire during the second word war, so I have a lot of affection for the Lancasters, Wellingtons and Halifax bombers of that era...but my favourite is the Bristol Beaufighter, cool looking and versatile and often found in the great Commando comic book.
My grandfather was RAF ground crew during the 2nd World War. He would load the bombs that destroyed Dresden etc. For which he felt eternal shame and haunted his sleep till his death. Whilst on the bombers return his job was to remove the tail gunner. Apparently they very rarely survived and the easiest way to remove their body was from the inside with a high powered hose. He wasn't keen on that either.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
My grandad came down behind Japanese lines in Burma whilst in a Beaufighter. He and his pilot walked through the Japanese lines to get back to Imphal

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My grandfather was RAF ground crew during the 2nd World War. He would load the bombs that destroyed Dresden etc. For which he felt eternal shame and haunted his sleep till his death. Whilst on the bombers return his job was to remove the tail gunner. Apparently they very rarely survived and the easiest way to remove their body was from the inside with a high powered hose. He wasn't keen on that either.
It was a grim old job, he lost many many friends during the war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here