Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your computer back-up strategy?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've just had a bit of a shock - my laptop computer is f***ed and I've lost everything.

Fortunately, I've backed up my photos and videos, and *most* but not all of my iTunes library to a hard disk elsewhere.

Lucky me. But the problem with backing up stuff to this hard drive is that it is reliant on me manually backing my photos/music/videos/work documents/financial documents and other stuff as and when I see fit.

I think I'm going to write a little application that does it all for me, and runs every other day automatically at night, or something like that. But before I do, I wondered whether anyone could simply recommend something that does this off the shelf? I don't like the idea of backing up stuff to an on-line firm both because of the monthly cost and the fact that if they go bust you could be screwed.

But maybe I'm missing something. What do you do?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Who do you get your broadband from? Most have a free file storage capacity included, non?

I use Bullguard for anti virus and that includes on-line storage for which my essential stuff goes. It has auto back up facility to back up stuff regularly to wherever you wish it to go. Music goes to external disk and photos on to Flickr.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I've just had a bit of a shock - my laptop computer is f***ed and I've lost everything.

Fortunately, I've backed up my photos and videos, and *most* but not all of my iTunes library to a hard disk elsewhere.

Lucky me. But the problem with backing up stuff to this hard drive is that it is reliant on me manually backing my photos/music/videos/work documents/financial documents and other stuff as and when I see fit.

I think I'm going to write a little application that does it all for me, and runs every other day automatically at night, or something like that. But before I do, I wondered whether anyone could simply recommend something that does this off the shelf? I don't like the idea of backing up stuff to an on-line firm both because of the monthly cost and the fact that if they go bust you could be screwed.

Back up important files with this simple batch file | TechRepublic

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
All three machines are backed up to my 1.3 tb drive and then backed up from there to Mozy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

As I work for myself, I tend to have a 4-fold back up.
1. Software backup (Time Machine in my case) to a local hard disk (a Time Capsule in my case)

this makes a complete back up of not only my files, but the system and applications. I changed hard drives and the process of restoring my entire system as it was is straight forward. I can also search back across hourly backups if I say deleted something by mistake.

2. Incremental backups to an offsite service (MobileMe in my case - £50 per year)

a backup program takes a daily snap shop of the folders/files I choose to back up

3. Weekly portable back ups

i.e. to a memory stick, or DVD. I then tend to keep these out of the house (normally in the car) in case something happens to the house or I get burgled.

4. Itunes / Photo Library

as others have said, backed up to Flickr, but also to an iPod.

To be honest, no.1 has saved me so much time when my laptop logic board failed and I was able to restore everything within hours of it being replaced, and then when I've just fitted a larger HD, again really simple to reinstall everything.

I wouldn't trust 1 single back up method such as just uploading, that is too much reliance on a 3rd party for me.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I should have mentioned I have another trick that I have used on dead PCs. It's a little device that allows me to plug and drive into a PC via a USB port. If a PC dies (even if it's a dead operating system) I can still extract data from the disk as long as it's still working. Have used this several times with great success, think it cost less than a tenner.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I use these. Portable and convenient.

5659221105_51ed76be3f.jpg

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I use a program called opps backup which works very similar to the time machine on the mac, you set the directories to back up and every hour it looks to see what has changed in the directories and backs it up. You can then go back to any version you want should you delete or change something you didnt mean to

Sep 1, 2010
Well he did say he wanted to write something himself, so I would presume he was reasonably advanced with these sorts of things lol.

Oh sorry, that sounded harsh, no meant this as a general example. There are lots of things on a computer that i am not sure how to do and when i look it up this type of site/example is usually given as a result. I still do not know how to change the name of a hyperlink despite looking how to do it, it just never makes sense to me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks gents.

I think I'm going to use this, as it gets good reviews:

Free Backup Software for home users. Hard Drive System Backup and Restore in Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7.

I have an external hard disk, which I will back everything up to and schedule my back up for midnight or something. Something to do tonight.

Looks a good option the same role Time Machine plays on the Mac. I'd still think about offsite backup either onto portable disk or to a server for your important files. I always think if you had a fire or simply leak that dripped on your hardware, then everything has gone again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Looks a good option the same role Time Machine plays on the Mac. I'd still think about offsite backup either onto portable disk or to a server for your important files. I always think if you had a fire or simply leak that dripped on your hardware, then everything has gone again.
I think I might just back up stuff that never changes onto CDs and put them in my mum's attic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here