Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the point of Jason Dodd

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Now i don't mean to upset the applecart but how he passed a medical for us is shocking.

I work with someone who umpires for Dodd's cricket team he plays for in Southampton. He told me b4 the season started that Dodd has a serious back condtion... so much so that when he is fielding he is unable to bend down to stop the ball and has to use his feet to stop it dead before slowly bending down to pick it up.

I thought he was winding me up but maybe he was right

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I am no MM fan, but I must admit I thought that Dodd was a good signing.

I will blame MM about many things but Dodd getting injured isnt one of them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
BensGrandad said:
Didnt Plymouth try to sign him ahead of us. Does that make Tony Pullis a duffer as well.
It was Bobby Williamson. And as it happens, he was an absolute plank.

But yes, this wasn't McGhee's fault.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
blockhseagull said:
Now i don't mean to upset the applecart but how he passed a medical for us is shocking.

I work with someone who umpires for Dodd's cricket team he plays for in Southampton. He told me b4 the season started that Dodd has a serious back condtion... so much so that when he is fielding he is unable to bend down to stop the ball and has to use his feet to stop it dead before slowly bending down to pick it up.

I thought he was winding me up but maybe he was right

nope it's true.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simster said:
It was Bobby Williamson. And as it happens, he was an absolute plank.

But yes, this wasn't McGhee's fault.

Yes you are right they sacked their manager and brought in Pullis I forgot about that thank you for reminding me. None the less they thought he would be ok for this division this season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
BensGrandad said:
Yes you are right they sacked their manager and brought in Pullis I forgot about that thank you for reminding me. None the less they thought he would be ok for this division this season.

He would have been if he was fit, however his long standed back condition f***ed that up

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Cant believe he passed a medical! I guess if MM gets the all clear from the medical staff he cant be blamed for the signing. Dodd seemed a really nice guy when I spoke to him in Le Havre, he took my bro all round the changing rooms etc at the "stadium", but he is totally crocked and we need to get rid ASAP.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yorkie said:
Does McGhee have a crystal ball? How was he to know Dodd would get injured during a game?

But wasn't he known to be injury prone before we signed him..ala Paul Kitson?

:rolleyes:

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Yorkie said:
Does McGhee have a crystal ball? How was he to know Dodd would get injured during a game?

:clap: :clap:

He was good when he played for us when he weren't injured

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Starry said:
We have one of those too, 324 league appearances, 0 for Leeds in 8 months at the club and his career is probably over without him ever having kicked a ball for us.

You've also got Dodgy Dan Harding :lolol:

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
I would also like to state that i have quit ARS, i feel it is now time to support McGhee, even if he isnt doing very well at the moment

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I am led to believe that Dodd came to us as part of the 'I'll give you 1.5 mill for Virgs if you give me old mate Doddsy a contract' deal between MM and wee Gordon.

By the way - Liam Brady recomended Turienzo - and as his agent is the same one as Carole's /Frutos, I was told it was Buy 1 Turienzo (albeit buy out his contract through his agent) - and get 2 free (Carole/Frutos)

These were arranged thru' DK - not McGhee. Dick Knight makes the majority of the signings (The above 3 plus Reid, CKR) with a few exceptionssuch as McCammon.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
when is the club going to learn that when signing "older" players it's better to offer a lower basic salary plus appearance money - Kitson, Butters, Dodd. Guy would have been "quids in" and deservedly so.

And, if players refuse to join on this basis tell them where to go.

It's a tough business - ask any Albion fan!!

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
timbha said:
when is the club going to learn that when signing "older" players it's better to offer a lower basic salary plus appearance money - Kitson, Butters, Dodd. Guy would have been "quids in" and deservedly so.

And, if players refuse to join on this basis telll them where to go.

How do you know on what basis he signed?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Fair point Yorkie.

Like you through NSC I have access to all the inner dealings of the club, including contract negotiations, transfer dealings, bonus schemes, etc, etc, and when there are things I don't know I just ask Insider!

(I bet I'm more right than wrong).

Last edited:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
timbha said:

And, if players refuse to join on this basis tell them where to go.

That's easier said than done though. The club can make these sort of offers. Some 'older' players out of contract might accept those kind of terms if they havent got better offers on the tables but most wont, especially at a club in this league. Tank was on a two year contract when approached, so he'd hardly forfeit that for the opportunity of a kind of 'pay as you play' contract, it wouldnt make sense.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Race said:
That's easier said than done though. The club can make these sort of offers. Some 'older' players out of contract might accept those kind of terms if they havent got better offers on the tables but most wont, especially at a club in this league. Tank was on a two year contract when approached, so he'd hardly forfeit that for the opportunity of a kind of 'pay as you play' contract, it wouldnt make sense.

I know, and I know what I'd do in the position of the player (or his agent) but it really annoys me that a club such as the Albion, with no money, ends up paying players good money for little return - Kitson, Blackwell, Rodgers, Dodd (and you could add many of the current squad/back room staff to this!!)

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
timbha said:
I know, and I know what I'd do in the position of the player (or his agent) but it really annoys me that a club such as the Albion, with no money, ends up paying players good money for little return - Kitson, Blackwell, Rodgers, Dodd (and you could add many of the current squad/back room staff to this!!)

Some of the players you have mentioned that were given contracts when they were out injured were offered more of an 'incentive' if you like, the club arent that stupid!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here