Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the optiumum size for an Albion stadium?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Firingblanks1 said:
Sorry guys it does not matter how big it is if we cant even fill Withdean this Saturday. What's going on?

Oi. No sensible questions on here please. :angry:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Similar clubs:

Which club has historical crowds of 90% of the Albion and last year averaged gates of 26,795 ?

In the late eighties their average gate in the lower leagues did not rise above an average of 7,000 and mostly below 6,000. (i.e. lower than the gates at the Goldstone even with the boycotts.)

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bolw.htm

PS; Portsmouth take nearly 4,500 fans on the short trip to Watford. On our longer trip to Gillingham, the average gates were 2,328 and 3,253.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
I take your point perseus, but you have to admit it is annoying that we are struggling to fill the Withdean on Saturday. We are similar in many ways to Portsmouth (except we have a manager and a decent chairman)
We need to fill the Withdean and make plenty of noise this saturday it is a MUST win game!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Re: Re: What is the optiumum size for an Albion stadium?

premierleaguesection said:
thats an extremely large IF!!!!!!!!!!!!
But it's not, is it. Bolton are a noddy club and they're getting 26,000 in the top flight. Charlton have had no fans since the war - except the last 5 years. Bradford, Wimbledon (rip) and Barnsley have all played in the Premiership and you can bet that either Wigan or Reading will be doing so next season, maybe both. We should be bigger than all those clubs, and would be if we had a decent ground with a decent capacity.

22,000 is woefully inadequate but it'll have to do. I'm just hoping that the powers that be see sense if we do reach the top flight in the next decade or so - and allow ground capacity to be raised if the need arises.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Firingblanks1 said:
I take your point perseus, but you have to admit it is annoying that we are struggling to fill the Withdean on Saturday. We are similar in many ways to Portsmouth (except we have a manager and a decent chairman)
We need to fill the Withdean and make plenty of noise this saturday it is a MUST win game!
And of course, we're not a bunch of bumpkin fighting sailorboy inbreds with ideas way above our station. And of course, unlike the blue bumpkin shite, we're the biggest club in our county.

Halftime Oranges

Oct 22, 2003
Rottingdean
We have only 7,000 at the moment so surely 22500 is sufficient and even filling in the corners is onl;y bout 1000 more. But if we got into the premiership one day and needed a bigger stadium i'm sure that certain stands could be redesigned to have an extra tier or something:bounce:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Firingblanks1 said:

HOWIE, don't get taken in by this wanker. He makes things up to satisfy his own acid-fuelled imagination. At least, I assume it's acid. The reason we don't fill Withdean is because it is a shithole. And an expensive one at that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have taken it for granted that we share the potential for a 28,000 stadium in the current boom for going to football matches.

I think the only issue, will the boom in attendances be maintained?

Will the attitude of the Newcastle Chairman (who does not seem represent his supporters) piss off the supporters and we will find that the crowds will fall to the low figures of the eighties?

Bigger crowds mean a bigger buzz and I used to get caught up in the anticipation and atmosphere of it all. Now it is a bit sanitised.

Or is the rise in attendances because of improved conditions at most grounds?

The away end at Withdean is the pits. I think in my time, I have only heard that the away ends at Craven Cottage (old) or the Abbey Stadium Cambridge were worse (two grounds where as an away supporter, I have gone in the stands, or what passes as at Cambridge).

I think we sell all the tickets at Withdean. Maybe a few at the away end do not get sold when these are returned at the last minute, but these are too naff.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO nearly 23,000 will be adequate for our immediate needs i.e the first 10 years after its built and 0nly time will tell of our needs after that.

If we manage to sell out 75% of seats at every game i.e 17250 we will be doing very well.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Apart from the size of the ground, the issue of the ticket prices needs to be raised. Although people may think that the cost of tickets will go down as the possible crowd attendances increase, this will not be the case - it hasn't happened at Saints and Leicester - the clubs have more money to spend on players, and in the case of our club, to pay dividends back to the directors.

When we move to Falmer, we will see an immediate increase in ticket prices to cover the cost of the better facilities and repayment of some massive development loans we'll get for the new stadium. In today’s money, I wouldn't expect tickets to Falmer to cost any less than £30 per game. Can't wait!

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
FFS everyone, we have put in an application for a stadium 126 seats shy of 23,000. Deal with it.

Oh right, so nobody should question that then? :shootself

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
3gulls said:
Oh right, so nobody should question that then? :shootself

Exactly, god forbid we should try and debate something on here or have alternative views to throw into the ring. Stalinism or discussion board?

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Simster said:
And of course, we're not a bunch of bumpkin fighting sailorboy inbreds

Owned by a Serbian War criminal,sponsored by teddy bears and supported by the inbreds,hahahaha, you couldn't make it up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cheeky Monkey said:
Exactly, god forbid we should try and debate something on here or have alternative views to throw into the ring. Stalinism or discussion board?
Oh dear. :rolleyes:

I never told anyone not to debate the matter. It's just that others are slamming the club for a lack of vision or a lack of ambition. We are not even at Falmer yet, and some have decided to moan about it already. Let's get the fucker built first. Walk before we can run, and all that...?

Last edited:

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
Firingblanks1 said:
Portsmouth are in the premiership twat,but also what was pompeys crowds some 3-4 year ago 8k or so mmm.

These stats are pathetic,as the withdean has zero facilities,no roof,exspensive etc etc it goes on.It will get slightly worse for crowds,but im surprised we even get these crowds at such a vile dump.:smokin:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
Oh dear. :rolleyes:

I never told anyone not to debate the matter. It's just that others are slamming the club for a lack of vision or a lack of ambition. We are not even at Falmer yet, and some have decided to moan about it already. Let's get the fucker built first. Walk before we can run, and all that...?

Right, so we should all just accept that should we?

The other view is that we could be blowing everything on a stadium that we will soon outgrow and be back in the same position as now (and when we were at the Goldstone) of needing to look for a site capable of taking a ground of a suitable size. To my understanding, Falmer has little scope of future expansion, and if it could be expanded, what are the chances of getting permission?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
3gulls said:
Right, so we should all just accept that should we?

Yes we should, because they're aren't any other plans on the table. Unless you want to put some in, of course. It's a bit late to start bleating about 28,000-30,000 seater stadiums when we put in a plan for a near 23,000 one three and a half years ago. We all had plenty of opportunity to say something then.

3gulls said:
The other view is that we could be blowing everything on a stadium that we will soon outgrow and be back in the same position as now (and when we were at the Goldstone) of needing to look for a site capable of taking a ground of a suitable size. To my understanding, Falmer has little scope of future expansion, and if it could be expanded, what are the chances of getting permission?

It's presumptuous arrogance on the part of any or all of us to say that 'we will soon outgrow Falmer'. Where is the evidence for that? (Cardiff, as we all know, was a one-off. But hey, here's to a few more one-offs.) The only way we will outgrow it is if we become a Premiership club. And once we become a Premiership club, we would get money (and there is an obscene amount sloshing about) to extend it.

Put yourself in the club's shoes for a mo. They suggest a stadium of say 15,000-18,000, they are accused of lacking ambition. 28,000-30,000 there is the accusation of fanciful dreams. And presenting the case for a 30,000 plus stadium presents its own problems not just for accommodation, but for transport, safety, the environment, capital cost - all conditions which have to be met.

It has been hard enough to find a suitable site to accommodate 23,000, let alone anything more excessive. As I said, once Falmer Stadium goes up, we can then see, if required, what alterations can be made to increase the capacity. It's the sort of provision which the club would almost certainly have had built into the design. To not do so would be follhardy. I am not against a 30,000 stadium per se - of course not. But let's get there first. Walk before we can run...?

Last edited:

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
Lets just build the stadium then whinge after:lolol:
To think we could have sold falmer out many times 2 year ago is unreal going by ticket applications,and we was rock bottom and shit.

It makes you wonder what frustrations lie ahead,but he lets not grasp until falmer is up and running.:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here