Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What is the most that would you pay for a concert ticket

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Most I paid was £100 for a ticket to see Bowie at Brixton Academy on the Serious Moonlight Tour in the mid 80s (from a tout).

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Like a lot of people have said depends on who they are little they play.

Mine would be a Talking Heads reunion (will never happen) I have paid a fair few quid to see David Byrne over the years.

Most from an official sale for a single artist not a festival must have been Kate Bush £135 each and I bought 2.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Like a lot of people have said depends on who they are little they play.

Mine would be a Talking Heads reunion (will never happen) I have paid a fair few quid to see David Byrne over the years.

Most from an official sale for a single artist not a festival must have been Kate Bush £135 each and I bought 2.

Did you see the American Utopia show last year? It might be the best gig I've ever ben to.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Most I paid was £100 for a ticket to see Bowie at Brixton Academy on the Serious Moonlight Tour in the mid 80s.

On the other end of the spectrum I bunked into the Sunday night at Milton Keynes using my sisters ticket for the Friday night, and bunked the trains up and down.

But I would also have paid £100

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Gawd...I wouldn't know where to start.

Shedloads to go to Pompeii to see Gilmour, a grand for VIP tix for The Peter Green tribute recently, face value for Led Zep at the O2, a couple of hundred for Guns n Roses in May, similar amount for ELO in October, and lots, lots more inbetween.
To be honest, as long as it's 'affordable' and I 'really' want to go...I'll go.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think I paid about £40 each for the Adam Ant concert at the Brighton Centre before Christmas. Couldn't see myself going much higher than that for a ticket.

It only cost me £2 to see them in 1980 at the Top Rank Suite.

2000% inflation.

Gigs used to be amazing value, bands making their money from vinyl sales instead.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Gigs used to be amazing value, bands making their money from vinyl sales instead.

Agreed. Even as a poor student, back in the 70's, I saw so many bands for far less than the cost of a pint, now.

Even in '88, a ticket to see Pink Floyd in Versailles cost only £15....and £50 return coach trip from London.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the other end of the spectrum I bunked into the Sunday night at Milton Keynes using my sisters ticket for the Friday night, and bunked the trains up and down.

But I would also have paid £100

Saw him at MK Bowl as well

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I paid around £100 to see Tom Petty at Albert Hall a few years back. It was magnificent. I've paid £70ish to see Dylan at Brixton and Neil young at Hmmersmith in past 10yrs or so. I too have just booked to see Brian Wilson at the Dome for £70. It will be the 3rd time I've seen him and it's never cheap. Last time was a couple of years back at the Palladium. He wasn't massively involved in the gig but it was still great to see him and hear the music.

Jealous, especially Petty

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. Even as a poor student, back in the 70's, I saw so many bands for far less than the cost of a pint, now.

Even in '88, a ticket to see Pink Floyd in Versailles cost only £15....and £50 return coach trip from London.

I went to dozens of gigs in Brighton in the early 80’s ... they always seemed to cost about £2, with venues such as The New Regent being £1 I think.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I spent a number of hundred pounds to see the Led Zep show in 2007, the money was donated to REMF as another NSCer was successful in securing tickets via the ballot and offered his spare in exchange for a donation to the fund. To this day it was one of the most amazing gigs I’ve ever been too.

Was bidding on eBay for a ticket and said to myself £700 max, it was £690 with 5 mins to go and I bid £700, only to lose out to a massive late bid of £6,900. Out of my league I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Did you see the American Utopia show last year? It might be the best gig I've ever ben to.

I saw it in London and Leeds, seriously looked at flying to New York to see it on Broadway as well, but spent the money on a festival instead, which insistdently showed Jonathon Demmes Stop Making Sense and people danced and sang along and clapped at the end, loved seeing it like that.

I was away for the Brighton gig so my wife saw it three times.

The tour with St Vincent was as good, and his Brian Eno tour was also excellent, if you didn't see it it was also tuned into a fantastic film, Ride, Rise, Roar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGVUfUmtgrc&pbjreload=10

If I could pay to get stuck in a gig forever in time it would be in his meltdown curated festival 'atomic bomb' concert. 1 hour 14 mins in (link below), Let us fall love, the video does it no justice, that choir coming on the place just popped and blew the roof off.

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/blog/atomic-bomb-live-watch-hd-concert-full

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I know Paul Weller has said NO but if The Jam were to reform I would look to get a ticket regardless of the cost.

These days most of the gigs I go to are at smaller venues, so probably around £60 for a London venue is tops, but most are around £35. I have previously gone to just under £100 for decent seats for a few 'names' at the O2 and RAH

I think a lot of people would pay good money to see the original Jam play again. As you say never going to happen as Weller always struck me as a bit of a misery. The Police famously didn't get on that well but even Sting didn't begrudge the reunion tour back in 2008 which topped up the pensions for Summers and Copeland. Don't think Buckler and Foxton are going to be that lucky which is a shame for them and us punters.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Most I've spent - by several hundred country miles - was £125 a ticket for 2 tickets for Led Zep at the O2. Seeing as how I got ludicrously lucky in the mother of all ticket ballots, would have been extremely rude not to have gone and not to have offered up the chance to somebody else to go

That was the most applications to an event ever, over 20 million people applied for 18,000 tickets, not a great change of getting one, So you did very well.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Was bidding on eBay for a ticket and said to myself £700 max, it was £690 with 5 mins to go and I bid £700, only to lose out to a massive late bid of £6,900. Out of my league I thought.

Madness! That's a ridiculous amount.

I wasn't successful in the ballot, so had written it off. However, I received (what I considered to be, at the time) a dubious e-mail, a week or so later, telling me I had indeed been successful.

After a lot of back and forth e-mails, it transpired that there had been a few 'returns', so they held a second ballot. I had managed to secure 2 standing tix at the face value price of £125 each.

It was fab! And I only last week watched the 'Celebration Day' film of it. Was so hoping that the success of it would spur them on to do a mini tour, or something, but it was sadly not to be.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I went to dozens of gigs in Brighton in the early 80’s ... they always seemed to cost about £2, with venues such as The New Regent being £1 I think.

Yes, I have seen far more gigs at very affordable prices.

The Hope and Ruin still has brilliant gigs on for £6 with three bands on the bill. That is £2 each.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here