Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the likely outcome of the FTSE 100 in the next 5 & half years - up or down?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stupid question really I know, because the only correct answer is that it's impossible to predict.

Based on an educated guess though, what would you say ?

Amsterdam Albion

Mar 11, 2008
I would say up, but then if there is another crash just before then down but my glass is generally half full. Now its empty! Off for a top up.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was in an investment club in the seventies when the Stock Market 100 was...... 400.
Now look where it is. It will inevitably go up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nobody knows anything.

But the answer is probably Up A Tiny Wee Bit.

That's my thoughts really.

The question is not something I take much pleasure in contemplating anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
over the next 5 years? up from this low point. you need to understand how the FTSE 100 works, it will always go up over the medium to long term, as failing companies are replaced by those doing well. only a complete meltdown of western civilisation would see it lower than today (and you probably wouldnt have any power to run a PC to necro this thread...). right now is a good time to buy the market.

while we're here, if you want to know why city boys will be getting big bonuses this years its because the FTSE 100 has risen 15% since the beginning of the year and 50% since the low around March. they have been making a mint trading.

Last edited:

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
UP
Commodities /natural resources
Financials
Emerging markets
Moved into these in January this year and did well.
I expect Financials to do well for some time [lot’s of cheap money around]

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Although at 5200 it is much better than the 3600 it ws in March don't forget in the late 90's it was around 7000 so the market is still 25% down on what is was 10 years ago !.

Its been the longest record of shit/negative growth in history I think.

To keep track it should be 10000 in 5 years but I would not be suprised if it was still around 5000. The problem with this who would ever invest in the stock market again for a medium/long term view ?.

Its been SHIT for so long that the whole culture of people bothering to invest in stocks and shares could be permanetly damaged.

Looki is a Oracle on this so listen to him as I am a mere commentator.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lokki is a Oracle on this so listen to him as I am a mere commentator.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Although at 5200 it is much better than the 3600 it ws in March don't forget in the late 90's it was around 7000 so the market is still 25% down on what is was 10 years ago !.

Its been the longest record of shit/negative growth in history I think.

it also went down to ~3500 and back to 7000+ through the noughties before dropping again. hardly a "long" record of negative growth. sideways in a large range is the worse you could say.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Inflation means it will always go up.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I predict 8,500 , the FTSE 100 should perform well when the Tories take over the reins at Number 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here