Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the biggest DIY challenge you've ever undertaken

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
not quite in the same vein, but i once rebulit an engine and have carried out several brake overhaul jobs. around the home ive done plenty of electrics and dug a big hole once for a pond.

...was the last of your accomplishments in Falmer?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It makes me laugh,I did some work for a couple the other day ( i am a carpenter) and they had fitted there own kitchen.....What a bloody mess!!.If they had got someone in and they had done this job they wouldnt have paid them.Now they have got to look at this for the next god knows how many years.
False economy unless you are pretty handy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can and have done plenty of wallpapering.
I don't need to get too involved with anything else though, cos I've got a dad. He's just done our hallway and kitchen flooring, and our new kitchen cupboards.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Just replaced the bathroom suite, have also done plenty of tiling, wallpapering, laminate flooring etc. Also laid a patio and built retaining walls in the garden. Will do basic electrics and plumbing but know my limits!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It makes me laugh,I did some work for a couple the other day ( i am a carpenter) and they had fitted there own kitchen.....What a bloody mess!!.If they had got someone in and they had done this job they wouldnt have paid them.Now they have got to look at this for the next god knows how many years.
I reckon these people were just clowns with a resentment towards paying for any sort of service. On the other hand, it seems to me that most DIY is all do-able, as long a) you have the TIME to do it properly, b) you're reasonably confident and c) you PLAN in advance. I might be wrong but I suspect that if you don't plan, then not only will you end up with a mess on your hands, but it'll take 5 times longer than it should, and be twice as expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt any sort of plumbing because I don't have a clue. On the other hand, I find electrics a little easier to deal with. The other massive advanatage we have these days is the INTERWEB. You can be in the middle of big job, stumble across a problemette, and find a resolution on-line.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Something in the papers today, that said over £1.5M is spent just on getting professionals in to repair DIY bodge jobs..

I don't mind DIYer's and their mistakes - they are always SO grateful when you come round to fix for them :lol:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Had an old barn in France..........(three walls and a corrugated tin roof), which me and Mrs CJD converted into a four bed, two bathroom etc house. Took three years mind, but before then, neither of us knew a hammer from a screwdriver.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I reckon these people were just clowns with a resentment towards paying for any sort of service. On the other hand, it seems to me that most DIY is all do-able, as long a) you have the TIME to do it properly, b) you're reasonably confident and c) you PLAN in advance. I might be wrong but I suspect that if you don't plan, then not only will you end up with a mess on your hands, but it'll take 5 times longer than it should, and be twice as expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt any sort of plumbing because I don't have a clue. On the other hand, I find electrics a little easier to deal with. The other massive advanatage we have these days is the INTERWEB. You can be in the middle of big job, stumble across a problemette, and find a resolution on-line.

Unless you know what you are doing you wouldn`t have a cat in hells chance of joining a worktop in a kitchen with proper mason`s mitres, correctly routing and bolting underneath.
As for hanging a door in your house, well I`ve never ever seen a amateur even get close to swinging one properly. Maybe they think they have done a decent job but a proper chippie would find half a dozen faults on each attempt.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
rewiring a plug (but even then need the instructions every time)

scooter1

How soon is now?
Coving - f***ing coving. I had a crack at this last week and thought i'd be clever and do it without a mitre - WRONG!!!!!! I now have a 2nd hand mitre for sale, used only 8 times - 1 careful owner.
Do not attempt this seemingly simple task without it. I was amazed how easy it was to totally f*** it up, despite actually getting the angle right

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Coving - f***ing coving. I had a crack at this last week and thought i'd be clever and do it without a mitre - WRONG!!!!!! I now have a 2nd hand mitre for sale, used only 8 times - 1 careful owner.
Do not attempt this seemingly simple task without it. I was amazed how easy it was to totally f*** it up, despite actually getting the angle right

Always a good one that.:lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Isn't that what POLYFILLA is for? :jester:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I fitted all the skirting board in our hall (also including routing out space in the back for loadsa cables. It looks well decent but f***ed If I'd do that ever again.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm currently replacing all the mortar on The Great Wall Of China. Only got 3,985 miles left to do now..

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I once tried to artex my sitting room ceiling. It was one of the worst days of my life. I finished with a burnt arm, aching muscles and a ceiling that looked like it had been attacked by a giant spider wearing roller skates. Ever since my mantra for DIY has never changed:
Get a man in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here