Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the BIGGER crime...

What is the BIGGER crime...

• Total voters

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Booing, ideally not but hay each to their own!

As for leaving early....what's the problem and why do people have a problem with it. If I want to leave early ( for whatever reasons ) it's my choice so for those people who don't like the likes of me leaving early if I want to can go f*ck themselves and get a life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a big boy now you know what ? ...it's called freedom of choice.

GET OVER IT !!!!!!! Yes and I am pissed off !:rant::rant:

SO STOP F*CKING MOANING ABOUT IT !!!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Booing, ideally not but hay each to their own!

As for leaving early....what's the problem and why do people have a problem with it. If I want to leave early ( for whatever reasons ) it's my choice so for those people who don't like the likes of me leaving early if I want to can go f*ck themselves and get a life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a big boy now you know what ? ...it's called freedom of choice.

GET OVER IT !!!!!!! Yes and I am pissed off !:rant::rant:

SO STOP F*CKING MOANING ABOUT IT !!!!

Even left early from the debate as well I see :lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I leave my seat early much of the time so I get a quicker getaway, whereas I could count on one hand the amount of times I've felt inclined to boo them off - something which I swear used to happen far more often back in the pre-Belloti era, incidentally.

Anyway, if they're crap, they deserve stick from those who pay them and from what one sees of other clubs' home support, I think Brighton fans are a lot more supportive than most. No need for a mass hand-wringing here.

Can you imagine London Irish's reaction to the boos on Saturday btw? He'd be bollocking every one of us from his high horse for such "disgraceful treatment" of the players by now.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I do leave my seat early, but stand at the end of the running track until the end of the game. The only reason for this is so I actually stand a chance of getting on one of the free buses.

As for booing, if people want to boo then I'm not going to get into a huff about it, unless it's totally unjustified. I personally didn't hear any on Saturday, but any there was, I think was deserved.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Being a proper football supporter does not compare to reading a newspaper or putting the bbc on ! :thud:

As a supporter, i.e. actually going to games rather than 'supporting' a team from an armchair in front of the tv, means just that - SUPPORTING your team. You are an active part of the game and have a role to play. Cliche or not, you should be that 12th man.

If you leave early you are sending out a message. Fair enough, you may want to let your own team know that they're playing shite. My guess is though that on such days the players will already know how well they are performing. It's arguably days like that that players need our support the most. Support in my definition means helping someone out when they're down and most need help, not just giving them a big cheer when they're doing great anyway.

My biggest problem though is the message leaving early sends out to opposing fans. Sort of gives them the right to such wonderful chants as..... "shit club shit fans ! " , surely ? Every fan staying to the end and still singing their hearts out EVEN when getting beat = respect, IMHO.

Please, try not to be too patronising.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that people should be constantly barracking the team and protesting but, sheesh, there are times when it's well within your rights too. Here's a scenario for you:

Brighton are playing away on a cold, wet, windy night in some godforsaken town at the other end of the country. You've taken the day off work so you can travel up there at considerable expense. The game is not really important as Brighton are mired in the middle of the table. A win won't move them up any places, defeat won't see them drop any places. From the moment the game starts it's clear that our players don't fancy it, that they'd much rather be somewhere, anywhere, else other than out on the pitch. As a consequence they don't put any effort into the game, their passes go astray, they don't chase, harry or tackle. They don't even get a shot on target....or off. By halftime they're 4-0down. It's at this point that someone remids you that the last direct connection to london leaves the station at about the time the final whistle should be being blown. After that you have to take several connecting trains that will add several hours to your journey home. The second half starts and Brighton have, if anything, got even worse. After an hour they find themselves 6-0down. The players aren't concerned. They're spending most of the match looking at the clock, counting down the minutes till the final whistle is blown. Would you:

A) Say enough is enough. Leave early and get your direct train home.

B)Stay to the end, (watching the team concede another goal in the process) cheering on the players who have blatantly not put any effort into the game , thus missing the last direct train home and adding three more cold, wet hours to your journey.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Please, try not to be too patronising.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that people should be constantly barracking the team and protesting but, sheesh, there are times when it's well within your rights too. Here's a scenario for you:

Brighton are playing away on a cold, wet, windy night in some godforsaken town at the other end of the country. You've taken the day off work so you can travel up there at considerable expense. The game is not really important as Brighton are mired in the middle of the table. A win won't move them up any places, defeat won't see them drop any places. From the moment the game starts it's clear that our players don't fancy it, that they'd much rather be somewhere, anywhere, else other than out on the pitch. As a consequence they don't put any effort into the game, their passes go astray, they don't chase, harry or tackle. They don't even get a shot on target....or off. By halftime they're 4-0down. It's at this point that someone remids you that the last direct connection to london leaves the station at about the time the final whistle should be being blown. After that you have to take several connecting trains that will add several hours to your journey home. The second half starts and Brighton have, if anything, got even worse. After an hour they find themselves 6-0down. The players aren't concerned. They're spending most of the match looking at the clock, counting down the minutes till the final whistle is blown. Would you:

A) Say enough is enough. Leave early and get your direct train home.

B)Stay to the end, (watching the team concede another goal in the process) cheering on the players who have blatantly not put any effort into the game , thus missing the last direct train home and adding three more cold, wet hours to your journey.

Sorry if I came across as patronising, but you compared watching a live football match to reading a newspaper or watching the BBC, and it's clearly not the same thing.

Fair enough, the example you now give is much more like it, and perhaps I was being too simplistic.

I can fully understand sloping off early in such a scenario. What happens if half the away support leave for the same train though, and with half an hour to go ? Surely if you've taken that much trouble to attend the game you might just as well stick it out to the end regardless ?

The reality is though that most people who leave early do so to save just a few precious minutes in exiting the ground our simply because their team is playing badly.

If booing is unacceptable then conversely so is cheering.

If I can cheer a goal then I am perfectly prepared to boo a performance that I consider unacceptable.

Leaving early on the other hand might mean that I would miss a stunning comeback as per v Sunderland in 1978 (0-1 down in stoppage time in a top of the table clash - but 2-1 win thanks to Eric Potts, - and who hasn't laughed at the video of all the dimwits who walked out of Withers before Virgs popped up in the area v Swindon......)

Whether the players take a blind bit of notice of either is entirely up to them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not sure I subscribe to the theory "I pay my money and so can boo if I want" school of thought.

I don't remember ever going to a crap film and having people boo as the credits roll ( OK the actors aren't there to hear it even if they did ). Likewise I've been to some crap things at the theatre and never heard booing. Do people boo when they've been given bad service or food in a resturant ?

Surely you pay your money, and if the product is crap, you don't buy it again ?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
:laugh:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sorry if I came across as patronising, but you compared watching a live football match to reading a newspaper or watching the BBC, and it's clearly not the same thing.

Fair enough, the example you now give is much more like it, and perhaps I was being too simplistic.

I can fully understand sloping off early in such a scenario. What happens if half the away support leave for the same train though, and with half an hour to go ? Surely if you've taken that much trouble to attend the game you might just as well stick it out to the end regardless ?

The reality is though that most people who leave early do so to save just a few precious minutes in exiting the ground our simply because their team is playing badly.

I guess there's different levels of leaving early...

If you leave early every time we're losing then, yeah, that's a bit crap. I just think there are times when it shouldn't be a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here