Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the best free pc security?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But you are an idiot please stop quoting me Im not actualy intrested in anything you have to say and its rather irritating to have you popping up on my notifications. I will take my Computer science degree and not venture an opinion then? FWIW I havnt run a AV programme for 12 years and in that time I have had ZERO virus issues

you are either very, very lucky, a liar, or use your knowledge to protect yourself other ways, ie computer behind a firewall, only use safe sites. just because you've got that benefit dont pass on crap advise to others. i've seen unprotected fresh installs get compromised before they've completed downloading and installing MS patchs, so AV is definately the first thing i put on my PC (and i have a firewall).

Windows

Feb 8, 2013
Hove
Avast is the best FREE anti-virus in my opinion, but ESET NOD32 is the best paid for one without a doubt as it doesn't slow down your machine like Norton/McAfee and find things that most others miss.

Camicus

you are either very, very lucky, a liar, or use your knowledge to protect yourself other ways, ie computer behind a firewall, only use safe sites. just because you've got that benefit dont pass on crap advise to others. i've seen unprotected fresh installs get compromised before they've completed downloading and installing MS patchs, so AV is definately the first thing i put on my PC (and i have a firewall).

Errrm I dont insult you so please dont insult me. 1 its not luck 2 I am not a liar 3 we all use our knowledge to "protect" ourselves theres far to much paranoia and bullshit surronding the entire AV market and 99% of the time you dont need AV. The only exceptions to this are if you are surfing dodgey sites downloading from unsafe sites or are leaving ports open on your machine. Its worth noting that both windows 7 AND your router come with both firewalls and antivirus.

Its also worth noting that in the past I have built machines from scratch using boxed factory sealed components installed a AVP wich has then claimed to have found dozens of problems

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Errrm I dont insult you so please dont insult me. 1 its not luck 2 I am not a liar 3 we all use our knowledge to "protect" ourselves theres far to much paranoia and bullshit surronding the entire AV market and 99% of the time you dont need AV. The only exceptions to this are if you are surfing dodgey sites downloading from unsafe sites or are leaving ports open on your machine. Its worth noting that both windows 7 AND your router come with both firewalls and antivirus.

Its also worth noting that in the past I have built machines from scratch using boxed factory sealed components installed a AVP wich has then claimed to have found dozens of problems

So your advice to people is do not bother with anti virus because you do not have to? im sorry I called you an idiot when moron would have been more apt.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Avast is the best FREE anti-virus in my opinion, but ESET NOD32 is the best paid for one without a doubt as it doesn't slow down your machine like Norton/McAfee and find things that most others miss.

I agree, nod32 is the best out there. Have been using it for years, never had a virus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here