Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is the best (and worst) line in football commentary you have ever witnessed?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd love to be a mole on the wall in that dressing room.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Motson Italy v Brazil Spain 1982 World Cup

When Zico did an amazing bit of skill "oh what a turn"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Bryon Butler:
"Maradona, turns like a little eel, he comes away from trouble, little squat man comes inside Butcher, leaves him for dead, outside Fenwick, leaves him for dead, and puts the ball away, and that is why Maradona is the greatest player in the world! "

I've always suspected that line of commentary was added post-match.

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
OK, I have nothing to contradict that. It just sounded a bit contrived.
In a way it is contrived to put radio commentary together with video footage. Perhaps that's what you picked up on, since we usually hear it together with the video, although it was originally broadcast on BBC radio, so it's going to be different from how TV commentary usually sounds.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
“John Barnes loves getting on the end of Peter Beardsley’s balls”

Brian Moore

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I liked Ally McCoist describing a missed shot at goal as "high, wide, and not so very handsome"

Bob Booker commentating on BBC Sussex and on the seagulls player loved his slang and made me smile with an "oooooh, he's hit the Holy Ghost!" amongst others

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tommy: Is Ryan Giggs the new George Best?

Ron Manager: Is George Best the old Ryan Giggs? But Giggsy-Wiggsy. Precocious talent, isn't he? Mmm? Ooh, got it all, you know? Speed, acceleration, sweet left foot, all the tricks - the dummy, the drop of the shoulder, the shimmy, nutmeg, jiggery-pokery, hocus pocus, abracadabra, I wanna reach out and grab ya. Steve Miller Band? Spin Doctors? Ooh, very similar.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Wasn't quite commentary but me and a friend still quote Andy Steggall saying, 'Awesome, great stuff!' At the end of some local football match.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don’t know.

But I’ve often thought that famous Beckham free kick against Greece deserved a really poetic, and subsequently famous piece of commentary, and it didn’t get it at all.

I can’t remember the last time a modern commentator delivered a real cracker, they just aren’t as good. I’m not even sure it’s what they say, but it’s how they say it. I’m all for diversity and inclusion in literally every other industry, but in football commentary I need to hear an old, posh white man tell me what has just happened. And they don’t really get the gigs anymore.
Agree.
It’s almost they have a list of sound bites/quotes in front of them. I find the commentators these days quite irritating.

I did like it after we went 2-0 up against Liverpool when Brian Moore said
“Well, rub your eyes and look at that”…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here