Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is it with these ipod things?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Why does everyone walk around all day with earpieces listening to music? )I presume that's what they're doing?)

What is wrong with listening to the sounds of life going on around you?

The sound of people.
The sound of birds.
The sound of traffic.
Or even the sound of silence.

Why the need to live your whole life to the background of goddam music?

Signed

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
I know what you mean. The amount of school kids that walk around listening to Arctic Monkey trash and avoid talking to each other is remarkable. Not only is it anti-social, but there are rumblings of an epidemic of people with poor levels of hearing.

judewri

Oct 7, 2003
west sussex
well i'm old, and i quite often have my ipod " attached" but not listening to music, but listening to my favorite lbc presenter, downloaded as a podcast... am i the only one that uses an ipod for something other than music????

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I find that my iPod keeps my sane on the train in the morning

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I know what you mean. The amount of school kids that walk around listening to Arctic Monkey trash and avoid talking to each other is remarkable. Not only is it anti-social, but there are rumblings of an epidemic of people with poor levels of hearing.

What?

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I listen to mine in the office, as it drowns out the chorus of noisy ****s eating their breakfast.

Currently playing is the pre-school percussion of spoon on cereal bowl. :angry:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well i'm old, and i quite often have my ipod " attached" but not listening to music, but listening to my favorite lbc presenter, downloaded as a podcast... am i the only one that uses an ipod for something other than music????

no me too.

I download radio 4 Friday night comedy, the News Quiz ( radio's version of HIGNFY) and Russel Brands show and also Fighting Talk from 5 live on a Saturday.....

I also have a couple of Hitchikers Guide To the Galaxy series on there....so its not all music.

My main use of the thing is learning music I am singing ( ie Hyden's Nelson Mass) this Thursday in lancing!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Pardon?

I do tend to listen to my mp3 player going to and from work (or going pretty much anywhere really, particularly long train/plane journies), and thus far my hearing is OK. Mind you, I don't tend to listen to the "Arctic Monkey trash" type stuff that you might generally associate with iPod/mp3 users.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As an old 'un - I have my iPod on most of the time, on the train from Shoreham to London every day, so I don't have to listen to the noisy idiots around me, and at work to help me concentrate. Occassionally use it when I go to Tescos too, which makes it a bit more bearable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

is this 1982? swap mp3 players for walkman, Artic Monkeys for Duran Duran, its same old bollocks. get with the kids, grandad :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As an old 'un - I have my iPod on most of the time, on the train from Shoreham to London every day, so I don't have to listen to the noisy idiots around me, and at work to help me concentrate. Occassionally use it when I go to Tescos too, which makes it a bit more bearable.

yes you do you misery!

:D:D:D

no me too.

Aye, at the moment I've got Stephen Hawking's "A briefer history of time", Matheson's "I am Legend" (better than the film) and the Dresden Files too.
I've got 5 Live's World Football show - listened to Fighting Talk yesterday.

And.........Pulley, Queens of the Stone Age etc etc
punk:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
What is it with these 'car' things? I'm 120 years old and when I was a young'un we had to walk everywhere. Cars are extremely noisy and go very fast, they might even injure someone!

Times change, so get used to it. It's not even as if "our" generation (late teens - early 20's) were the first to have portable music. Anyone remember the Walkman? I don't think I was alive when that came out and that's just about the same as the whole ipod thing these days.
In 20 years time all this will be socially acceptable and the older people (no disrepct of course as i'll probably be classed as one of those people) will find some other "new" invention to have a good old moan about.

I usually find that most people will only listen to their ipods when alone on the train or walking home from Work/University/School. It's just something to pass the time and certainly beats the sound of cars and roadworks.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
what a pathetic thread. If you can't see the appeal of listening to music, well, I'm dumbfounded....

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
no me too.

I download radio 4 Friday night comedy, the News Quiz ( radio's version of HIGNFY) and Russel Brands show and also Fighting Talk from 5 live on a Saturday.....

I also have a couple of Hitchikers Guide To the Galaxy series on there....so its not all music.

My main use of the thing is learning music I am singing ( ie Hyden's Nelson Mass) this Thursday in lancing!

Ditto

News Quiz (although cant wait for Now Show to return) Russell Brand, Mark Kermode and 6-0-6. Also have radio series of Mighty Boosh- Essential late night dog walking material.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here