Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is going on...

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
I'm getting increasely frustrated with Poyet's decisions and I have now decided to voice them.

1. Offer our top scorer a f***ing contract! Fozzie is our best source of goals and his know how is unmatched in this league. Instead of utilising his undoubted ability, we have chosen to freeze him out and use a non-league striker(who had a great game on tuesday). Rumours of loaning out our leading marksman is unbelievable.

2. James Tunnicliffe. From what i saw, a good defender who had half decent distribution skills compared to Adam Hoof Virgo. And even if the other elph and virgs are decent at the moment, loaning him out is ridiculous, especially to franchise. I think he is better than virgo but even if he isnt, getting rid of our third choice centre back is stupid. We're bound to have an injury or sending off in that position soon and no one else can cover that. (El-Abd isn't a centre back IMHO)

3. Freezing out our player of the year last season is very disappointing. I have yet to make my judgement on calderon but that pile of shit hoyte is not worthy of Whingys place on the bench and leaving Whingy out of the squad to villa was criminal

Other issues i can't be bothered to go into detail about is leaving out Jimmy Mac completely and the loan guy Painter instead. Playing Dicker out left when clearly he is our best ball playing centre mid. Keeps switching Bennett to the left when he is a right winger.

Waiting for the clash of opinions to come flooding in...

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Noone gives a shit about football, THE WORLDS HARDEST ANIMAL is being decided here. No take your childish talk to someone who cares. :rant:

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
You make some good points. I particularly agree with the bits about Forster, and the Tunnicliffe loan (if he's good enough for MK Dons, he is certainly good enough to get in our team). Also disappointed that Jimmy Mc has been frozen out, he is worthy of at least a place on the bench, although not def starting as Painter has looked good to be fair.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm getting increasely frustrated with Poyet's decisions and I have now decided to voice them.

1. Offer our top scorer a f***ing contract! Fozzie is our best source of goals and his know how is unmatched in this league. Instead of utilising his undoubted ability, we have chosen to freeze him out and use a non-league striker(who had a great game on tuesday). Rumours of loaning out our leading marksman is unbelievable.

2. James Tunnicliffe. From what i saw, a good defender who had half decent distribution skills compared to Adam Hoof Virgo. And even if the other elph and virgs are decent at the moment, loaning him out is ridiculous, especially to franchise. I think he is better than virgo but even if he isnt, getting rid of our third choice centre back is stupid. We're bound to have an injury or sending off in that position soon and no one else can cover that. (El-Abd isn't a centre back IMHO)

3. Freezing out our player of the year last season is very disappointing. I have yet to make my judgement on calderon but that pile of shit hoyte is not worthy of Whingys place on the bench and leaving Whingy out of the squad to villa was criminal

Other issues i can't be bothered to go into detail about is leaving out Jimmy Mac completely and the loan guy Painter instead. Playing Dicker out left when clearly he is our best ball playing centre mid. Keeps switching Bennett to the left when he is a right winger.

Alright here goes with the debate. With regard to Forster's contract it depends on what is happening in the summer. Forster will be 37 next season and is not quite the player he was, despite his goals. I don't think Gus has done anything wrong by saying wait until summer. Forster's transfer request (or at least announcing he had put one in) on the other hand was ill timed and I think dropping him was deserved. You can't let the players dictate terms. The manager must be seen to be in control.

Tunnicliffe, as has been discussed on here today, is a back up player at the moment. We have plenty of cover in defence with El Abd and Painter definitely good enough (I think that El Abd's best position is central defence). Tunnicliffe will gain experience and probably come back to us a better player.

Whing has been poor this year and while I wouldn't have loaned back Hoyte, Poyet clearly believes he is better than Whing which means he was right to play him in the squad at Villa. We should pick our best squad and ignore sentiment. Whing mucked the club around in the summer by keeping us waiting so can't complain in my mind. As for Calderon, if you are yet to see that he is better than Whing then you haven't seen a game since he has been here.

McNulty is clearly feeling the after effects of his injury and is not the player he was. Hopefully he will be back to his best later this season or at the beginning of next but at the moment I think Painter is the better defender.

As for Dicker, I do agree with you there. Poyet has clearly realised this too and has bought in Lua Lua so hopefully it won't be an issue anymore. To be honest, I think criticising Poyet is totally out of order, we have to give him time and we are playing a lot better now.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

1. It's obviously not as clear-cut as that, or the club would be dealing with it differently, i'm sure. If we offer him a two year contract on say £5k a week, and he gets crocked, we are f***ed.

2. He's going for ONE month. We have Painter for cover if Elphick or Virgo gets injured. If they both get inured, we recall Tunnicliffe. Simples. We need to keep the same back 4 to keep some stability. Also, why would you change things bearing in mind our defence has been quality these past few weeks?

3. Agree that Hoyte shouldn't even be on the bench. Disagree Whing should've been put on the bench at Villa park. Theres no room for sentimentality in football. It wasn't a day out, it was a game we could've won.

I don't understand why McNulty isn't even on the bench. But he shouldn't be starting. He is not good enough defensively. Painter is a lot, lot stronger.
Dicker is playing out on the left because we have no left sided midfielders, and we need Navarro and Crofts in the middle to do the dirty work.
He'll be on the bench on Saturday.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I suspect Hoyte is still here because that's what Arsenal want. Can't see Arsenal being willing to loan us another player if we don't do as they want.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
We don't know what's going on with Forster so to say 'just offer him a contract' is a bit naive.

El-abd's best position is centre back.

Calderon is better than Whing. So to argue about Hoyte or Whing on the bench isn't really worthwhile in my opinion.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
. Disagree Whing should've been put on the bench at Villa park. Theres no room for sentimentality in football. It wasn't a day out, it was a game we could've won.

was Poyet and Bloom's way of showing that we're moving on from being a "nice" club to a serious football club.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
2. He's going for ONE month. We have Painter for cover if Elphick or Virgo gets injured. If they both get inured, we recall Tunnicliffe. Simples. We need to keep the same back 4 to keep some stability. Also, why would you change things bearing in mind our defence has been quality these past few weeks?

we can't recall him

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It's all good. The honeymoon period is over.

Maybe people can now start looking at the manager's decisions and judging him accordingly. Seems to me that up til now Gus has been our cuddly South American 'name' manager with his random South American sidekick with no visible qualifications for the job.

Maybe now he can be judged on results.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Maybe people can now start looking at the manager's decisions and judging him accordingly. Seems to me that up til now Gus has been our cuddly South American 'name' manager with his random South American sidekick with no visible qualifications for the job.

But that wasn't judging a manager's decisions. It was just a list of grievances most of which were crap and based on assumptions. As with a lot of people here, he is just slagging off the manager for no particular reason.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Only one defeat in eight in the league? Dispite only winning two of those eight games we must be on one of the best runs (point wise) wise for a while. Personally I just think that people thought that we were going to suddenly become promoting material just because a new manager had arrived. Im personally encouraged. We have stopped (for the moment at least!!) shipping 4+ goals a game and are still creating chances. Goals will come and I think Poyet is currently in the process of building a very good Albion side.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If I was manager I would probably have made all the decisions that you want. They're the easy, 'obvious' things to do. Give a new contract to Forster; give Whing a run out at Villa; keep Tunnicliffe on the bench as backup; play Dicker instead of Navarro. Kind of thing I used to do on championship manager; because so what if you have a huge squad and old players with 'loyalty' contracts, its only a computer game.

But Poyet hasn't taken this route, and if we are judging on results and performances then there is no reason to criticise him. We're keeping clean sheet after clean sheet; creating chances; proving hard to beat. This is exactly what is supposed to happen when a new manager takes over a poorly-performing side; work from the back; solidify the team; identify the group of players that you want to take the side forward. Its unspectacular but its textbook.

The non-textbook side of it are the Mourinho-esque triple substitutions and formation changes that occur when we are a goal down with 20 minutes to go. He'll grow out of that though. And the touchline rants and over-the-top passion that he exudes - completely understandable but he'll also learn to control that.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just as an added thought on Poyet being judged by results, Slade had 15 games this season and Poyet will reach that figure tomorrow. Poyet already has a small improvement with 16 points from 14 to Slade's 14 from 15. However, if you delve a little deeper and look at who they have played, the improvement becomes bigger.

The only teams in the top eight currently that Slade played were Huddersfield, Millwall and MK Dons. On the other hand, Poyet has played against the current top 7 (and will play Norwich tomorrow for the second time in his first 15 games tomorrow). He has also only faced Wycombe, Stockport, Exeter and Southampton (who are a bit of an anomaly) in the current bottom half. I know this isn't perfect and teams will have been higher or lower when they played us, but it shows that Poyet is doing better. He is also playing better football so why not get behind him, hope he keeps us up and then judge him next season when he has had money to spend.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

And this would move the club forwared in so many ways? I think not

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Alright here goes with the debate. With regard to Forster's contract it depends on what is happening in the summer. Forster will be 37 next season and is not quite the player he was, despite his goals. I don't think Gus has done anything wrong by saying wait until summer. Forster's transfer request (or at least announcing he had put one in) on the other hand was ill timed and I think dropping him was deserved. You can't let the players dictate terms. The manager must be seen to be in control.

Tunnicliffe, as has been discussed on here today, is a back up player at the moment. We have plenty of cover in defence with El Abd and Painter definitely good enough (I think that El Abd's best position is central defence). Tunnicliffe will gain experience and probably come back to us a better player.

Whing has been poor this year and while I wouldn't have loaned back Hoyte, Poyet clearly believes he is better than Whing which means he was right to play him in the squad at Villa. We should pick our best squad and ignore sentiment. Whing mucked the club around in the summer by keeping us waiting so can't complain in my mind. As for Calderon, if you are yet to see that he is better than Whing then you haven't seen a game since he has been here.

McNulty is clearly feeling the after effects of his injury and is not the player he was. Hopefully he will be back to his best later this season or at the beginning of next but at the moment I think Painter is the better defender.

As for Dicker, I do agree with you there. Poyet has clearly realised this too and has bought in Lua Lua so hopefully it won't be an issue anymore. To be honest, I think criticising Poyet is totally out of order, we have to give him time and we are playing a lot better now.

could not have put it better myself, just for a change we all could actually get behind the manager!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here