Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is going on with harty's phone in

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Leave Harty alone, we should call but I think because we are so
used to moaning that no-one called in because there was nothing to moan about.

And Dave the Gaffer, Well Said!

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Harty,
How can I phone in WHEN I DON'T HAVE A MOBILE ON ME!!!
Dam knew I should have saved those 2p's for the phone box.
Being serious for a moment though.
Like you I also watch a Non-league side so have no problem with them it's just that I'd like a Albion phone in as would everyone else in Brighton!!
HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

dave the gaffer said:
I did not say they were a failure I said if we change our formation to todays and continue with it we do not need a tall target man

But you knew that anyway smartarse

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Indeed I did :lolol:

I think this will be a long season and we will have our good patches and our bad patches. I'm already struck by how similar this season is to last, tricky start, League cup embarrassment and then August Bank Holiday salvation straight afterwards.

The particular formation/tactics that got us 6 pts off Preston and Leicester one year ago today did not sustain us for an entire season - far from it, there were so many twists and turns along the way and McGhee had to engage in regular reshuffling to keep the team fresh and focused against differing opponents.

I'll be amazed if this season will be any different - we will face much better teams than we faced today and they will test us differently, so we have to respond differently. And we will have bad runs where your and Ernest's happy face :( won't be so evident :lolol:

What I will say though, in support of the point you made on the phone-in, is that I think the team 12 months on is in a much better shape to face those challenges. I genuinely think our squad is better/deeper in quality and the options that McGhee has are more varied than back then. We may be moving towards a situation where we are in more of position to impose a gameplan on other teams rather than seek to merely nullify the opposition's.

But that's a very optimistic outlook and I am a realist - I don't go overboard after one good win or one bad loss, or even a few of those things close together. The true evolution of McGhee's team we will only be able to spot in a few months' time at the earliest I reckon.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I'm just a tad concerned that even with all the possession and chances we created in the first half, we only scored ONE goal. It's perhaps a bit churlish to moan after winning 2-0 but as goal difference might be the difference between us staying up and going down we must convert some of those chances. It would be just like the Albion to lead 1-0 until late in the game then capitulate 1-2...

Two clean sheets in a row though and four points from six...no complaining there!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hungry Joe said:
I heard Dave today and whilst I was impressed to a point with his observations I was left feeling slightly disapponited as I'd imagined him to have a deeper, huskier voice.

:lolol: Exactly my thoughts, I expected him to sound more like Lenny Mclean rather than Quentin Crisp!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have to say that driving back in the car yesterday listening to the show I almost turned over to 5Live because of the non-league tedium. I know there are some people who care, but surely they are in the small minoirty listening to the show?

Perhaps Harty should resort to TalkSport tactics to drum up listeners by being deliberately provocative in the first 5 mins of the programme, i.e. bring up the Harding reception issue vs Leeds, ask for comments re is this the end for Charlie, judgements about CKR being petulant etc?

When there are good Albion callers the show is great, when there are none it is not - Harty must generate the traffic.

One final positive point - I think because of where we are with Falmer, our financial struggles etc pretty much everyone is behind the club and MM, and not inclined to criticise. I'd take the lack of calls as a sign that this club is united from top to bottom moving forward.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm not a big fan of Harty's but I must applaud him on this one. I want to hear people talking football, all levels of football. If you have an opinion phone up and let's hear it.

Nothing annoys me more than when Talksport fail to realise there are teams outside of the top 3. The rest of the country get very short shrift, with the attitude that "who really cares about these other little teams anyway." I was livid by the casual lip service that was occasionally offered to Wrexham last season. The presenters didn't know anything about it and clearly didn't care.

Well played Harty, it's a football phone-in not a Seagulls phone-in.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Isn't one of the problems that the phone in comes straight after the game? By the time I get back to the P & R the phone in is half over and unless you have a mobile not much you can do.
BTW which is quicker to get out of Mithras House or Mill Lane?

Harty said:
Well phone in then, its your forum and the fact is listening wise the Albion fans outnumber the total conference fanbase about 20 to one.
Maybe this goes to show how the result dictates the content of the phone-in, last week after Hull, we put something like 15 Albion callers to air, most of them moaning, along with 40 or so text messages.
With respect, Harty ... the reason that the phone-in gets calls from Woking and Aldershot is that SCR have decided to promote it on the non-Sussex frequencies that they use to broadcast to those bits of their area that are outside Sussex.

This is a new idea that they have adopted for this season.

When I complained about it, I was told that the complaint wasn't a suitable item to raise on the phone-in itself ("Ian might agree with you") and that there had been "lots of similar complaints". I was advised to contact SCR and complain in writing.

Somewhere along the line, without warning, we have lost the Albion phone-in and have been given yet more of the so-called "Southern Counties" product that some bigwig in the BBC has decided should pass for local radio.

It's a disgrace. How long before they take the matchday commentary away from us and put us on a rota with Crawley, Aldershot and Woking?

Where the hell is Woking anyway? It's not local to Sussex, that's for sure. I have a feeling that it is in the county whose cricket team is covered by BBC London.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire said:
Perhaps Harty should resort to TalkSport tactics to drum up listeners by being deliberately provocative in the first 5 mins of the programme, i.e. bring up the Harding reception issue vs Leeds, ask for comments re is this the end for Charlie, judgements about CKR being petulant etc?

Strongly disagree - why do we have to TABLOIDISE everything? Aren't Albion supporters capable of some sensible discussion without discussing all that old bollocks? There is too much routine clueless bad-mouthing of players on the phone-in already, we don't need any more! Possibly THAT'S what has made people lose keen interest (relatively speaking) in the phone-in, eh?

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
agree with that LI

When harty tries to open with a " who the f*** is this Dick knight bloke trying to kid?" all hell breaks loose from the CostaCrew!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
DTG, LI, Lord Bracknell, the Costa Posse, whoever, it would be great to hear from you all this Saturday.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Harty said:
DTG, LI, Lord Bracknell, the Costa Posse, whoever, it would be great to hear from you all this Saturday.
Not this week...............i'll be in Leeds:clap2: :drink: :drink:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Ernest said:
Mobiles do work in Leeds FACT
Maybe.........but mine won't be working if i've had a good drink.:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
bakesy said:
Maybe.........but mine won't be working if i've had a good drink.:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :lolol:

I don't know the text service seems to go really well especially from one person :D

If anyone does ring up the programme do ring you back so it's not your own credit you are using up.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Personally the idea of having Woking (Not in Sussex) Aldershot (ditto) and Crawley (shouldn't be in Sussex) on the phone in is a complete farce.

No disrespect but why not go the whole hog and have some geezer from Midhurst talking about County league Div 3 where a crowd of 7 and their dogs saw a pulsating match against Storrington or the likes thereof - or Henfield reserves againt Billingshust thirds in the West Sussex League.

By all means have a non league round up (I thought there was one anyway) but all we are asking for is an hour (less after the Manager and normally one player has spoken) to discuss all things Albion.

Harty, be harder on the crap callers - the ones who start by saying that they didn't go today because their wife had to take him to Homebase but they always went in 1965 - there are plenty of us who ring in and want to talk about why we have sighned 700 strikers/wingers/attacking players but our only left back is injured and anyway he's not very good anyway (Bless him)

Just say 'thanks for calling ' and cut them short - and that includes DTG when he starts rambling!

Crawley et al are NON LEAGUE, their fanbase very small - lots of their fans go only when their other London club is away - I am not knocking any of these clubs but Crawley does have a local radio station so use that. as for Woking/Aldershot well it just beggars belief - they are NOT IN SUSSEX!

With the Falmer decision next month (latest) we are going to need all the airspace we can get.

I regret that until BBC SCR ditches the new format I will stop listening.

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Harty said:
That's very kind of you, Harty.

Unfortunately I shall be watching Lewes v Newport County on Saturday. I doubt if Albion fans will be interested in what I might have to say.

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here