Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is English culture?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
i like the national self mythologising about humour.

as generally people who only speak one language, you can only really compare English humour to Americans and Kevin Bloody Wilson.

Oh the English have a great sense of humour. As opposed to who's that you have been exposed to and understood?

I don't think its a myth.

A lot of other European nations either take themselves too serious are naturally beige/bland or are a bit more serious on the whole.

We have a TV station out here that basically plays foreign movies all the time and has done so for 20 years. So I've been exposed to and watched quite a lot of comedies from all around the world.

None of them even come close to the standards of English comedians.

Granted the French and the Spanish have made a few classics but over all not the same volume of quality.

And it does somewhat come back to the language. English allows for much more expression and variance on how something can be delivered.

No offense to the Germans and their ilk, but they all sound the same in their accents.

Even the French and Spanish can't match the English in that respect.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I remember some programme on a few years ago where they took groups of nationalities on the premise of a holiday documentary and set them up in scenarios (one was a boat cruise breaking down) and recording their reactions.

The Brits were the only ones joking about and laughing when they were adrift in this boat, and didnt panic in the slightest. a few other incidents reflected very well on us. but then, do their reactions and those qualities give you pride because you are culturally programmed to approve of that sort of behaviour or reaction anyway? the germans discussing trying to get the boat going and immediately debating how long it would take to resolve the boat issue, is probably far more sensible. but it immediately makes you think, humourless mr logic cnts....

ho hum

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
all the angry types coming out to play as usual

indeed.

judging by that post you have either the driest sense of humour in the world or you are copper bottomed proof to tyrone that we are not all naturally self depreciating comedians who dont take life too seriously.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
“Fifty years on from now, Britain will still be the country of long shadows on cricket grounds, warm beer, invincible green suburbs, dog lovers and pools fillers.” John Major

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
As for fish, which particular group of immigrants told the indiginous Brits that they could eat the flappy silvery things in the big bluey-greeny wobbly thing?

Well according to the One Show the other night the idea of frying them in batter came over with Italian immigrants in the 19th century.

I've only ever seen them on sale at the English chippy in New York City - run by a bloke from Accrington.
Does this qualify me for condemnation by Milton Keynes Seagull?

You do this by posting at length on football forums, and desperately try to give the impression that football fans in the new millenium are nostalgic about The Clash, into every facet of alternative culture, reminisce about binge drinking exploits alongside sexual crudity and various visits to restaurants, as long as it involves ethnic cuisine

sgl.jpg

I don't think its a myth.

A lot of other European nations either take themselves too serious are naturally beige/bland or are a bit more serious on the whole.

We have a TV station out here that basically plays foreign movies all the time and has done so for 20 years. So I've been exposed to and watched quite a lot of comedies from all around the world.

None of them even come close to the standards of English comedians.

Granted the French and the Spanish have made a few classics but over all not the same volume of quality.

And it does somewhat come back to the language. English allows for much more expression and variance on how something can be delivered.

No offense to the Germans and their ilk, but they all sound the same in their accents.

Even the French and Spanish can't match the English in that respect.

"Dinner for One" - a very english TV sketch from the late '50's which is absolute cult viewing on New Years Eve in Germany in particular. My Brother in Law (who has some German blood) tells me that quoting from it in a German business meeting, even if some of those present don't spead English, generally gets them rolling in the aisles.

As for English culture, how about a pint of Harveys? Also not confusing love on one's country with hatred of other peoples.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ah, right, somebody that does the pools? Zetters, Vernons, Littlewoods. Didn't they go out with Green Shield stamps?

I've no idea what 'pools' are. I assumed they were like an accumulator. Early memories of 32.5 swept right over my bulging cranium.

It is a myth that we don't celebrate St George's Day. I have been to Trafalgar Square twice in the last three years for a SGD celebration.

We do host a wonderful variety of World Championships...

From nettle eating to pea shooting.

World Stinging Nettle Eating Championships - The Bottle Inn, Marshwood Dorset

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here