Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is 'Audio Described' at the cinema ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK, so I'm mincing along to the flicks tonight, thought I'd have a sniff at 'Unknown' down the Marina. However, on the Cineworld website it says "the performance you have chosen is Audio Described". I did a quick Google and it says something about a narrator describing what is happening on the screen, for people with sight problems. Usually thats MY job with the missus (nothing to do with sight, mind) but I don't really fancy having some kind of constant narrative talking me through the whole film.

Whats the deal ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I have this function on my tele. Once, before I knew of the function, I must have accidentally turned it on and for about ten minutes I was incredibly confused as to who was telling exactly what was happening on Hollyoaks.

Like sign language but for eye spastics innit.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
You can get some programmes on Sky with Audio Description. It's literally someone describing out what is happening in a scene in between any characters lines. Not really something you want to be going to see in my opinion!

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I have this function on my tele. Once, before I knew of the function, I must have accidentally turned it on and for about ten minutes I was incredibly confused as to who was telling exactly what was happening on Hollyoaks.

Ha ha... brilliant!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh, so an EARPIECE is involved for those who need it. Excellent.
Cheers peeps. I'll mosey along to that then.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Like sign language but for eye spastics innit.

:lol:

It would be interesting to see how a sex scene is described.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
tumblr_ldmrqsDGJ91qdrbtbo1_500.jpg

Oh, this movie's too complicated. Hey, the floor's sticky. Who's that guy? What did that guy say when I said, "Who's that guy"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ahh, so an EARPIECE is involved for those who need it. Excellent.
Cheers peeps. I'll mosey along to that then.

I believe some blind people have their own, they just have to change the frequency on their ear pieces, but the cinema will have headphones people can use.

Be careful, usually they sneak in one or two showings with subtitles for the deaf or hard of hearing as well, usually denoted (AD/S), I have in the past gone to showins and not realised the showing was subtitled until I get there (they usually put up notes around the box office).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here