Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is 3rd Divison football actually worth?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
League 1 should be sponsored by Poundland imo - although I'm still struggling with the admission price tbh..

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
£15 is probably the right cost, unfortunately, due to playing at a small venue we are paying over the odds to keep the club afloat.

I am sure most of us were reasonably happy with this is the short term (but not 12 bloody years)

I hope, and fully expect the club to reduce the prices once we are at Falmer, and there are larger attendances, and more revenue being generated.

In the meantime, I will stump up by £25 for the next 18 months.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Wasn't it about £7 to get in during the last season at the Goldstone? Much as it's a rip off to watch us play at Withdean, prices simply aren't going to remain static for 13/14 years.

Can't remember the cost then, but that would have been for standing on the terraces, something that has now been done away with at league matches and all seater stadia are now the required due to the over reaction to the Hillsborough distaster. Also how much did it cost to sit at the Goldstone during the final season?

Seating is more expensive for clubs to install and maintain, hence part of the reason for the higher prices everyone pays, I wish they would bring back terraces, making it cheaper again for fans to go to matches.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
If the cost of a ticket were to be based on quality of football/success on the pitch, we and many other clubs would have gone bust years ago.

I buy a ticket to watch the Albion play...to see them play well has always been a bonus, not an expectation.

It would have been better had I only paid to watch them in successful years as I would have saved a fortune but, for me, that's not how it works. We all have the choice and I made mine many years ago to watch a lot of dross with the occasional brilliant highlights.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Can't remember the cost then, but that would have been for standing on the terraces, something that has now been done away with at league matches and all seater stadia are now the required due to the over reaction to the Hillsborough distaster. Also how much did it cost to sit at the Goldstone during the final season?

Seating is more expensive for clubs to install and maintain, hence part of the reason for the higher prices everyone pays, I wish they would bring back terraces, making it cheaper again for fans to go to matches.

Scunthorpe still has standing, and no-one seems to have pushed them to replace it with seating, even though they're in the Championship now.

I preder standing which is one other reason why I watch Brentford now. Oh and they win at home....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think comparing the entertainment fare on offer with other forms is reasonable, and you could make a good case that a trip to the football equates to a visit to the cinema. If you went down that route then Bry's valuation would be about right.

To me, it is worth a bit more - in the range of £10-£13. Nowhere near £25 though, which is one reason why the only three times I've seen the Albion this season have been away despite having a season ticket in the past.

It's right across the board though. Where I live in Surrey, non-league teams (not even Conference) are charging £8.

If you are going to compare it to other forms of entertainment why not compare it to something that involves live performances, how much do people pay for watching a something like a stand up show or a band perform live at somewhere like the Dome, Wembley arena, Brighton centre, etc?

Brighton currently are one of the top 68 clubs in the country, (based on the leagues), how many clubs are there in total in this country?, and wouldn't the level we are watching at therefore compare to paying to watch a well known band / comedian / etc..?

A couple of examples of ticket prices:
MASSIVE ATTACK plus special guests, Brighton Dome Concert Hall (standing/seated) Tuesday 9th February Doors 7pm £29.12 + booking fee
Ronan Keating, Brighton Centre, Saturday March 6th, 19:30, £30
Bad Company, Brighton Centre, Saturday April 10th, 19:30, £34.50

So while the current prices may seem alot to some, current prices for each division probably arn't as bad as everybody makes out. Withdean may be a little more expensive than we hoped for, but the reasons down the years are understandable (planning process, high running costs etc) Once we have Falmer, we can be more flexible in our pricing.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
15 quid for adults would open it up to more people.

I think even 20 quid for adults it probably fair.

Its the under 18s prices which should be around a tenner.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Scunthorpe still has standing, and no-one seems to have pushed them to replace it with seating, even though they're in the Championship now.

I preder standing which is one other reason why I watch Brentford now. Oh and they win at home....

Scunthorpe have a time limit in which to convert to all seater, as do all the league teams, but was is staggered through the leagues, and the timetable for all of that takes into account promotions etc, for example a team that plays in the conference gets promoted and then a couple of years later, gets into the Championship, they can't be expected to transform their stadium to all seater immediately, they get set a time limit of a few seasons to get their ground upto standard, if Scunthorpe survive in the Championship for a few seasons, they too will have to have an all seater stadium.

The same goes for other clubs, Lewes for instance, they were allowed into the conferance but their ground didn't comply with that divisions standards, they had to have the changes in place by a certain date otherwise they would have been automatically demoted, as it happens they ran out of money and couldn't finish the improvements needed in time, but that was nullified because they would have been relegated due to their results anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here