Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What if we do not get promotion?

filo120

Dec 28, 2012
We are all speculating about the movement of players this January but Gus has said that our plan has a few years to run if we are to gain Premiership status and 'stay there' - What if we do not 'go up' ? Would the team effectively break up and would we have to start all over?

Yes, I would like to see promotion and the money would be an added bonus but with any buisness plan - you have to err on the side of caution!
The Championship is exciting and unpredictable and as we all know very frustrating at times but I have loved every minute of it!

My concerns though, are that too much emphasis may be placed on the push and if we do not achieve it we could lose our better players and possibly even our Manager. It is a fine line between success and failure and I am sure that 'The Board' have considered this but still - what if?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You actually joined to post that? How sad.

I would be happy to stay in the Championship for another year if we played attractive attacking football. But we don't so I would be happy to see Poyet go if he fails to get promotion.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
does anyone really expect us to get promoted this season - Board, management, players, fans?? It's all about building the club and a team capable of going up and staying up - hence a 3 - 5 year plan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would prefer to be in the Championship competing in the top 10, than have a season like Reading or Southampton.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
You actually joined to post that? How sad.

I would be happy to stay in the Championship for another year if we played attractive attacking football. But we don't so I would be happy to see Poyet go if he fails to get promotion.

This was the last season for clubs like Brighton to get promoted, once fair play kicks in we will not be able to compete with the clubs receiving parachute payments.Not signing strikers, fcuking massive mistake considering the rest of the talent that we have on board

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I would prefer to be in the Championship competing in the top 10, than have a season like Reading or Southampton.

i can see that point of view, but then the aim is to go up and be a Norwich or Fulham (didnt they win promotion from the 4th tier in '97?), and we probably need a stronger team for that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This was the last season for clubs like Brighton to get promoted, once fair play kicks in we will not be able to compete with the clubs receiving parachute payments.Not signing strikers, fcuking massive mistake considering the rest of the talent that we have on board

Parachute payments are no guarantee of getting good players. Portsmouth had parachute payments.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I know the answer to this, we stay in the Championship ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

??? parachute payments arent helping Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Birmingham or Wolves much.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i can see that point of view, but then the aim is to go up and be a Norwich or Fulham (didnt they win promotion from the 4th tier in '97?), and we probably need a stronger team for that.

Swansea took 4 years, West Brom went up & down like a yo yo before cementing themselves in the Prem. There is no right way to do it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Don't believe that for a second

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We lose Bridge, Bruno, Vicente, Buckley and Bridcutt.

Basically Gus starts his team building again. The gradually get better theory is fatally flawed as the best players leave.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You post as though promotion is almost assured, I don't see any evidence of that right now.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Basically Gus starts his team building again. The gradually get better theory is fatally flawed as the best players leave.

Why haven't Cardiff lost their best players over the past few years with all their near misses? And why did Swansea eventually go up? Etc etc etc, life is not so bad in the championship.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

True. There is no evidence either to suggest either way is preferable. If you are good enough to get promoted what difference does it make if it took 1 or 100 years to achieve. What exa tly is it that is being built over time?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why haven't Cardiff lost their best players over the past few years with all their near misses? And why did Swansea eventually go up? Etc etc etc, life is not so bad in the championship.

Cardiff did. But they went out and bought others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here