Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What have you eaten this year from what you have grown/picked yourself?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Our bay tree is MENTAL.

It had grown to about 10 feet tall, so we thinned it out and cut it right back to about 3 feet high. It came back THE FOLLOWING YEAR 12 feet high and more productive than ever.
Where we lived before we had several bay trees which just got bigger and bigger. When I cut them back we had a bonfire in the back garden and the freshly cut bay branches went up like tinder with a very satisfying sizzling noise and a fantastic smell. Try it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
About a doxen Strawberries
Loads of courgettes
Tonnes of runner beans
Carrots ( first time I've ever managed to grow them thanks to a raised bed )
Blackberries
Some very small onions
Beetroots
Basil
Chives
Mint

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Tomatoes, lettuce, apples, chillies, coriander, bay leaves, carrots, onions and a few strawberries (bastard little slugs/woodlice get most of them).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've poached some eggs that I picked out of our chicken coop.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Blackberries are the only proper food stuff at the moment.Apart from that Mint, Rosemery, Sage, Lemon Balm, Parsley
Waiting on my Squash and Beetroot at the moment.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Akcherly, this is what I was asking - though probably quite badly.

What gastronomic delights have been created on the back of your own fruit and veg growing hijinks? And is it just me, or do you find it that bit more satisfying eating stuff you know you've grown yourself?

I find eating/cooking ur own produce very rewarding after tenderly nurtering
them through the growing season.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

What gastronomic delights have been created on the back of your own fruit and veg growing hijinks? And is it just me, or do you find it that bit more satisfying eating stuff you know you've grown yourself?

Carrots picked, then lightly boiled for 3-4 minutes, put on a baking tray, drizzled in a little honey and baked for 5 minutes - as sweet and fresh as you will ever get !

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We've had loads of strawberry's, tomato's and runner beans that mrs bulldog has grown, and we've got some blackberry's that she's picked. The pepper's and chilli's should be ready soon as well.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003

Agree entirely. Had several roast dinners where all the veg was home grown and the meat locally produced. Eggs in the yorkshire pudding layed by our own hens - didn't mill my own flour though or milk my own cows - probably taking it a step too far :lol:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Tomatos and onions were the only successful crop this year for me, with the carrots and potatos not fulfilling expectations :( Made some pizza sauce with the tomatos, mostly used for salads or eaten with a sprinkling of sea salt.

Have a couple of bay trees too that I should get round to getting some leaves off of.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
took the apples for crushing at middle farm to make a brew!

Did that for the first time a couple of weeks ago - fermenting nicely at the moment , hope it turns out a bit better than rocket fuel mind!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
along with all the usual stuff i've made elderberry & crab apple jelly this year for the first time. very very nice indeed.

I'll understand if you won't say as they're as rare as rocking horse do do but where did you find a crab apple tree ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here