Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What happens when you drink alcohol when on antibiotics ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not getting shit-faced or anything, but I have a couple of tinnies in the fridge which I was planning to devour tonight whilst listening to the commenty (I reckon I might need them). I'm on a course of antibiotics though, 3 a day. Whats the WORST that can happen ? I won't start growing breasts or anything, will I ?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The thoery is that the anti-biotics don't work. This, is bollocks IMHO though. I fail to see how bacteria suddenly becomes immune to penasilin (sp?) just because you've had a few cans?

Alcohol DOES howeverm reduce your body's natural defence machanism.

The choice is yours.

How are the legs?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lammy said:
How are the legs?
Not too good. Still swollen, with angry red sores around those BASTARD insect bites. My left ankle is particularly bulbous, which made changing gear in the car yesterday a horrifying ordeal as I had to push the clutch pedal.

Cheers for the advice Robbo. I'm on Amoxycillin, probably not one of the stronger ones. I shall drink and be DAMNED tonight.

Sir Royston thorne

Jun 27, 2004
As a young man in the seventies I was once faced with an awful dilema.....I was on a course of anti-biotics....on the last day of my course The Thieves Kitchen was doing a special Pernod promotion.

what do you do ?

Got absolutely bladdered...must have done about a bottle on my own...our gang were well in with the barstaff so we got the nod when the last bottle was opened and we waded in with trebles.

I woke up with the inevitable dogs breath and pounding head.

and, my whole body had come out in strange pink blotches. I spent most of the day like a zombie on valium. But as a matter of some Honour I made The Thieves by 7pm !!

my advice, go for it..

I am now a unhappily married man of forty four with a growing bald patch and a bad back. But if there is anything I could change it would not have been Pernod Night at The Thieves !:drink:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Taking Amoxycillin with modest amounts of alcohol is perfectly safe. Just dont get bladdered very night or the efficacy of the drug may be modified.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow.
NSC is so much better than ANY clinic. Down-to-earth, honest medical advice and all in easy-to-relate laymans terms.

Marvellous :clap:

from the University of Iowa Student Heath Service website

Amoxycillin & Alcohol

Can you drink alcohol while taking amoxycillin?

In general, drinking alcohol while taking any kind of prescription drug is not encouraged, in fact it is most likely frowned upon. In the case of amoxicillin though, there aren’t any well-known adverse reactions that occur when combining this drug with alcohol. For more information on drug interactions check out the Micromedex website.

Katie Budke, B.S., CHES
Health Educator
Health Iowa/Student Health Service

Written on 2/7/03
Reviewed 3/17/04

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here