Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what happened to the post about the Exchange Pub?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bit weird, can't see why an organisation can't post on here offering genuine discounts to Albion fans - unless it wasn't genuine, or has been shunted elsewhere.

Maybe there should be a separate 'offers' section, if it offends people's sensibilities.

Compared to some of the dross on here, I'd have thought Happy Hour prices on alcohol was a great improvement.

Maybe we could also institute an award for most shameless attempt to grab some lolly off the Amex bandwagon.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Same happened to a thread re The Bear pub the other day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I removed it and I'm happy to state why:

NSC costs a lot of money to run. Our community is a large, captive and focused market. With the Amex days upon us, we are seeing an influx of posters very keen to push their products and services at the thousands of eyeballs that look at NSC and most do so without asking for permission and without giving anything back. I'm talking cash obviously.

Additionally I don't think a thread is the best format for any adverts (and that's what they are) on NSC. Formatting is weak, and the advert will soon slip away.

I've been looking at a few plugins that will allow better and more permanent structuring of adverts on NSC. In return a modest fee will be sought, but I don't think that's unreasonable.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough if the site really needs the money. I wouldn't charge them too much, though. They're only a pub, and this is almost certainly the best place to highlight the offer. No fans on here are going to complain if organisations are fighting for their custom, it will only be to our benefit.

Clearly they are advertising, all I would say is that it is also useful information for Albion fan users of NSC, and that should be borne in mind. What's the difference between that, and someone just coming on and saying 'I've heard that the Exchange will do this Happy Hour..etc etc...'

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Agree with Bozza. NSC seems to take up a lot of his time. A pub shouldn't just be able to barge in and make use of free advertising space. There are other ways of doing that - I.e. Twitter #bhafc and so on.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Fair enough if the site really needs the money. I wouldn't charge them too much, though. They're only a pub, and this is almost certainly the best place to highlight the offer. No fans on here are going to complain if organisations are fighting for their custom, it will only be to our benefit.

Clearly they are advertising, all I would say is that it is also useful information for Albion fan users of NSC, and that should be borne in mind. What's the difference between that, and someone just coming on and saying 'I've heard that the Exchange will do this Happy Hour..etc etc...'

Agree with this. It is targetting Albion fans on an Albion forum. It's not someone coming on here trying to sell cheap ipods or mobile phones. The Bear thread was interesting as it may have an impact on people's pre-Amex routine. I didn't see the Exchange one but I'm guessing it would be similar. And as you say it could easily be done by a regular poster coming on here and telling everyone anyway.

I can also see Bozza's point though - it's a tricky one but I personally would err on the side of leniancy to start with unless it gets out of hand and stricter rules/fees are needed

Just a thought, did the Landlord ask permission first from the owner of the board (Bozza)

Courtesy goes a long way in business.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Fair enough if the site really needs the money. I wouldn't charge them too much, though. They're only a pub, and this is almost certainly the best place to highlight the offer.'

I'm not really sure that makes sense?! To say don't charge them too much, but then admit it's the best place to advertise?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not really sure that makes sense?! To say don't charge them too much, but then admit it's the best place to advertise?

You have completely missed the point. This discussion is about the point at which helpful, useful information becomes an advert that the organisation should pay for. It's a grey area. The reason it has been highlighted is because a couple of us saw interesting threads removed, and wondered where the line was.

It is obviously the best place for a pub to highlight this, they probably didn't know they had to advertise (neither did I). It is hardly general spamming, and I for one would like to know about such offers. And I don't think they should necessarily have to pay the same rates as a blue-chip multinational.

That said, as I have already recognised, Bozza must make the site work financially, what he has built here is now clearly of value to local businesses (and that alone is a credit to his efforts). It's just getting the balance right.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
How Ironic. This place is still boycotted by myself & a good few others after their digraceful treatment of two Albion 'faces' 15 odd years ago, the afternoon of a last minute match call off

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree with Bozza. NSC seems to take up a lot of his time. A pub shouldn't just be able to barge in and make use of free advertising space.
Likewise, forums charge for advertising, regardless of whether the audience is interested in the advert.

What's the difference between that, and someone just coming on and saying 'I've heard that the Exchange will do this Happy Hour..etc etc...'
If they can make their customers happy enough to promote them, they get free publicity, the same as any other product. If they want to come here and promote their product, no harm in discussing a small fee with Bozza, and NSC should benefit from a little money too.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This discussion is about the point at which helpful, useful information becomes an advert that the organisation should pay for. It's a grey area.

The point when the person providing the information benefits from providing, financially.

All adverts provide information. They become adverts because they (if working as intended) drive people to buy the product/take up the offer, thus making money. People passing on information get nothing from it except maybe thanks from people for the recommendation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't think so.

Would you of allowed it if they had?

In the past, I have always done - as suggested the common courtesy is appreciated.

But I had anticipated that we would see more people coming here to advertise their businesses and matchday special offers etc and I had started to think about how we could allow them to use NSC to best promote their businesses and get noticed as they are wanting.

In the past, I have always done - as suggested the common courtesy is appreciated.

But I had anticipated that we would see more people coming here to advertise their businesses and matchday special offers etc and I had started to think about how we could allow them to use NSC to best promote their businesses and get noticed as they are wanting.

Here endeth todays lesson.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
This may mean not a lot, but the manager of The Exchange is a season ticket holder at the albion (WSU). Therefore only wanted to give a headsup to people who live close to his pub, that this opportunity was going to be happening.

I personally dont see a problem with it but at the end of the day its up to the Mods.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here