Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Happened to my Thread?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All I have said is the Auchwitz thread is in bad taste but we have been subjected to the usual London Irish-isation.

Muslims being murdered isn't funny but Jews being murdered are LI ?. ???

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
I think people are giving far too much attention to London Irish's pyscho-babble on this point. If you want to see through the bollocks he wrote just read Easy 10's post on page 2, enough said.

Yes, you can argue that there is humour in everything. I've had cancer twice but I've found myself laughing at the Dereck and Clive "cancer of the f***ing elbow" sketch. The Nazi's were sent up brilliantly by the Dadaist movement by laughing at them. That is different though to posting a caption competition regarding a place where one of the greatest horrors on earth took place which is open to misunderstanding (if the intention wasn't to cause offence) or to try and defend it by creating some intelectual sub-plot. Interestingly Wozza himself hasn't tried to defend it. I usually like Wozza's posts but he was off the mark on this one and has hopefully taken it on the chin and moved on.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Phaedrus said:
I think people are giving far too much attention to London Irish's pyscho-babble on this point. If you want to see through the bollocks he wrote just read Easy 10's post on page 2, enough said.

Yes, you can argue that there is humour in everything. I've had cancer twice but I've found myself laughing at the Dereck and Clive "cancer of the f***ing elbow" sketch. The Nazi's were sent up brilliantly by the Dadaist movement by laughing at them. That is different though to posting a caption competition regarding a place where one of the greatest horrors on earth took place which is open to misunderstanding (if the intention wasn't to cause offence) or to try and defend it by creating some intelectual sub-plot. Interestingly Wozza himself hasn't tried to defend it. I usually like Wozza's posts but he was off the mark on this one and has hopefully taken it on the chin and moved on.

LI's postings on this subject are indeed psycho-babble. Not to mention the babble of a psycho. Taking the piss out of the England team paying their respects at Auschwitz is simply inexcusable. But no doubt he'll be on here later on, with a five thousand word learned treatise attempting to justify the unjustifiable. Ho-hum.

Respect to Wozza tho for, as you say, not defending a rare error of judgement and taking it on the chin. Nice one fella :clap:

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
What are you on about? Thats a fine moral discussion! Its all metaphoric....

Phaedrus said:
I think people are giving far too much attention to London Irish's pyscho-babble on this point.

You mean a bit like your multiple replies to me? "Pyschobabble" Errr...... that world has specific meaning relating to the use of pyschological arguments. I guess it sounds a nice insult but you could attempt to employ it correctly.

clapham_gull said:
I've been to Auschwitz, but I'm not particularly offended by people making people jokes about it however, it just depends how its done. Intelligently or crass.

This probably replies to the rest of your post. But for some reason, like a few others on here, you seem intent on having a few Tom Glover-like pops at me, which is your right of course, but does distract from an interesting discussion that could be had about political correctness and satire. Still, that can wait for another time I guess.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't take offcence LI but you do appear to come across as a little pompous and self opinionated :lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
allllllllllllllllllllrighty then

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
London Irish said:
You mean a bit like your multiple replies to me? "Pyschobabble" Errr...... that world has specific meaning relating to the use of pyschological arguments. I guess it sounds a nice insult but you could attempt to employ it correctly.

This probably replies to the rest of your post. But for some reason, like a few others on here, you seem intent on having a few Tom Glover-like pops at me, which is your right of course, but does distract from an interesting discussion that could be had about political correctness and satire. Still, that can wait for another time I guess.

Though you were having a pop at me there for a second !

:lolol: :lolol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ok.. go on then... I'd much rather be a bee. Not a humble worker bee or drone, but one of those massive 'technically shouldn't be able to fly' bumble bees. :)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Although the idea was (obviously?) to mock the dumbass England players seen in an unusual, serious environment - and not, in any way, the victims of the holocaust - I do appreciate that the thread upset some people, so I won't attempt to defend it.

Nevertheless, it's clear that many of the negative comments are/were from people using the issue to have a pop at me (I mean, how f***ing cheap is that?), or from users who simply THINK they should be offended.

Based on their previous postings on NSC, many of these same people would almost certainly laugh (albeit guiltily) at near-to-the-knuckle jokes from extreme comedians like Sadowitz and Manning.

Indeed, if I wanted to 'out' the most hypocritical and sanctimonious ***** on NSC, I doubt if I could have come up with a better concept.

Apologies to those genuinely offended.

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
London Irish said:

I only counted one reply to you, the other was a reference to you. As for the exact meaning of psychobabble, I think most people understood what I was getting at so it did the job. Regarding having a pop at you, well, I think what you wrote deserved it. There is nothing clever in trying to intelectualise what was an error of judgement that people took offence to. You obviously are an intelligent person but you seem to want to educate the world and his wife and come across as patronising and smug.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Wozza said:
Although the idea was (obviously?) to mock the dumbass England players seen in an unusual, serious environment - and not, in any way, the victims of the holocaust - I do appreciate that the thread upset some people, so I won't attempt to defend it.

Nevertheless, it's clear that many of the negative comments are/were from people using the issue to have a pop at me (I mean, how f***ing cheap is that?), or from users who simply THINK they should be offended.

Based on their previous postings on NSC, many of these same people would almost certainly laugh (albeit guiltily) at near-to-the-knuckle jokes from extreme comedians like Sadowitz and Manning.

Indeed, if I wanted to 'out' the most hypocritical and sanctimonious ***** on NSC, I doubt if I could have come up with a better concept.

Apologies to those genuinely offended.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here