Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What exactly does a Deputy PM do?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Does he slip into CMDs seat when he's away with Obama and the rest? Does he take the calls when the PM heads off for a cuddle with the wife? He doesn't have a real job, such as Home Sec, Foreign Sec or Chancellor so what will he be doing?

I seem to recall that, for Prescott, it was a way of giving him an important-sounding title while keeping him well away from any form of power.

I wonder how long it will be before Clegg realises this?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well, he is going to be in charge of political reform - a referendum on AV, fixed term parliaments, probably reducing the number of MPs and making constituencies the same size, and a fully elected Lords (under proportional representation).

He will be a permanent member of the new National Security Council, along with the PM, chancellor, home sec, foreign sec, international development sec, security sec and defence sec.

He will stand in for the Prime Minister at PMQ's when the PM is away, presumably do a number of foreign trips himself, hold joint weekly press conferences with the PM, and most importantly, keep the Libdem side of the coalition together.

and make the tea.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I seem to recall that, for Prescott, it was a way of giving him an important-sounding title while keeping him well away from any form of power.

you recall slightly wrong, as Prescott had a rather large department formed covering regions, political reform (devolution), environment and transport (i think). hence why our planning application landed on his desk.

to answer the question, ask what does the PM do. it not particulalry defined either, unlike say Education Secretary or Defence Secretary. Basically a Deputy PM will be given free reign to pick up their pet projects, in this case electoral reform.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Well, he is going to be in charge of political reform - a referendum on AV, fixed term parliaments, probably reducing the number of MPs and making constituencies the same size, and a fully elected Lords (under proportional representation).

He will be a permanent member of the new National Security Council, along with the PM, chancellor, home sec, foreign sec, international development sec, security sec and defence sec.

He will stand in for the Prime Minister at PMQ's when the PM is away, presumably do a number of foreign trips himself, hold joint weekly press conferences with the PM, and most importantly, keep the Libdem side of the coalition together.

and make the tea.

Nailed by the Old Man of the Jungle.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
you recall slightly wrong, as Prescott had a rather large department formed covering regions, political reform (devolution), environment and transport (i think). hence why our planning application landed on his desk.

to answer the question, ask what does the PM do. it not particulalry defined either, unlike say Education Secretary or Defence Secretary. Basically a Deputy PM will be given free reign to pick up their pet projects, in this case electoral reform.

Prescott's department was in charge of local government, planning, housing and the fire service (some of you old enough will remember his handling the fire strikes). You are correct that he inherited the old dept DETR which featured transport and environment, but when he became deputy PM these were siphoned off to different departments. I suspect Clegg will be quite happy not to have a department - he's got his work cut out putting through political reform and keeping the lib dems on board.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Have a little giggle last thing at night and first thing in the morning that he is the most powerful person in the country with just a handful of seats in parliament.

and of course making the tea and buying the biscuits

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Well, he is going to be in charge of political reform - a referendum on AV, fixed term parliaments, probably reducing the number of MPs and making constituencies the same size, and a fully elected Lords (under proportional representation)..

Other than the referendum, I can't see any of the rest being agreed in this parliament. Also, I'll bet he won't be allowed to decide on what the referendum question will be. If he tries to get fixed 5-year terms through without an election that is a route to disaster - especially with a coalition government that could fall out at any time.

and make the tea.

All of the above are to be expected, but none of them hold any real power. For instance, he won't be able to call an election and he certainly won't be able to mix it on his own at G12 or similar.

So, it looks like he's the Minister for Referendums. Hope he enjoys it.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Other than the referendum, I can't see any of the rest being agreed in this parliament. Also, I'll bet he won't be allowed to decide on what the referendum question will be. If he tries to get fixed 5-year terms through without an election that is a route to disaster - especially with a coalition government that could fall out at any time.

All of the above are to be expected, but none of them hold any real power. For instance, he won't be able to call an election and he certainly won't be able to mix it on his own at G12 or similar.

So, it looks like he's the Minister for Referendums. Hope he enjoys it.

On the contrary. I think the five year fixed parliaments will be law within the next 12 months. It was in manifestos.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
this works in Camerons interests as well. A couple of years ago his views were on the liberal side of conservative (before he was told to tone it down for the election) and Clegg is no doubt on the conservative side of the liberals. If he can show his party has proper centre ground he will be looking to be in power for more than a single term.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
On the contrary. I think the five year fixed parliaments will be law within the next 12 months. It was in manifestos.

So what will happen if, in 2 years time (after we've brought in fixed-term parliaments), the Tories and LibDems fall out big time? Will Cameron court another group (the Nats - or even try to split the LibDems and get those still 'loyal' to stay on)?

We would have the prospect of a lame-duck government limping along for another 3 years before there was any chance of an election. There would be 3 budgets that wouldn't get any sort of approval - except where it suited all the parties. Heaven help us if we have another financial crisis and need to take some tough, or even controvertial, decisions. How would that go down on the financial markets?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
So what will happen if, in 2 years time (after we've brought in fixed-term parliaments), the Tories and LibDems fall out big time? Will Cameron court another group (the Nats - or even try to split the LibDems and get those still 'loyal' to stay on)?

We would have the prospect of a lame-duck government limping along for another 3 years before there was any chance of an election. There would be 3 budgets that wouldn't get any sort of approval - except where it suited all the parties. Heaven help us if we have another financial crisis and need to take some tough, or even controvertial, decisions. How would that go down on the financial markets?

There will still be provision for an election should a Government lose a vote of confidence.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

and make the tea.

Basically you're saying he'll be Dave's Fag.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
in all recent cases f*** all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here