Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does The Sun get out of backing Cameron?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
every time I see one at the moment it all seems to be anti-Brown/Clegg and pro Cameron. It's mainly taking swipes at the other parties.

Why are they doing this? What do they get out of it?

Picked up a copy on the train today and they've even got the bloody Page 3 girls slating the current Government.

What are they trying to achieve? Is it always like this in the run up to an election?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've always found it odd that newspapers feel the need to back a political party at all, and with power of the media (and cross ownership) these days I don't find it particularly "democratic" either.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Sounds like the Sun is simply backing the favorite.They did this when Blair won it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think its because they like to back the winner. alot of people vote on the same principle. its bascially the same attitude as glory hunter fans. (sorry to touch on football :) )

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
you havn't read the Mirror then - Never read such a bias.. Their shameless backing of Labour is putting me off voting for them!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I believe that Cameron is taking 'donations' from Rupert Murdoch (who owns the Sun among other Tory supporting papers).

In return Cameron has agreed to 'take a look' at the BBC charter and other such measures that could appear to help Sky increase share in UK. In addition Cameron will not clamp down on press reporting like some other parties have alluded to.

Cameron gets support from popular press as well as the sizable donations.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Its just a matter that many of the newspapers are not based on the news but rather at an 'allegiance' with one political party, Im trying to get the non-biased newspapers at the moment.

Plus the Daily mirror, what sorry joke for a newspaper, Im not against Labour or anything, its just a bollocks newspaper, they always get our match reports wrong (The win against Man city was considered a draw :rant: ) They contradict themselves, and their campaigns drive me nuts.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Seems a bit pathetic though?
It does.Untill Blair got in the Sun had always backed the Tories and have never switched to supporting Labour.Sounds to me we will have a Tory government in next.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Its just a matter that many of the newspapers are not based on the news but rather at an 'allegiance' with one political party, Im trying to get the non-biased newspapers at the moment

which are???

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
you havn't read the Mirror then - Never read such a bias.. Their shameless backing of Labour is putting me off voting for them!

It was nice to see the Metro this morning take the view of a neutral and give a last minute explanation of what all the parties stood for.

Surprising really, I think they are owned by the Mail

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
It does.Untill Blair got in the Sun had always backed the Tories and have never switched to supporting Labour.Sounds to me we will have a Tory government in next.

I have heard that the sun have backed the winning party every time over the last 40 years. Not sure how true this is though..

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that Cameron is taking 'donations' from Rupert Murdoch (who owns the Sun among other Tory supporting papers).

In return Cameron has agreed to 'take a look' at the BBC charter and other such measures that could appear to help Sky increase share in UK. In addition Cameron will not clamp down on press reporting like some other parties have alluded to.

Cameron gets support from popular press as well as the sizable donations.

Spot on!

More than just "donations". It's a whole web of corrupt practice.

Murdoch wants Cameron to shut down or restrict half the BBC outlets - especially the ones that are in competition with his commercial empire. He wants the BBC website no longer to carry the comprehensive (free) material that it currently does. Reason? He wants his media websites to be able to charge punters for what they won't buy at the moment.

Murdoch is simply buying the support of a future Tory government. And he's getting it cheap.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Sun readers voting Tory is like turkeys voting for Christmas. Unfortunately by the time they realise this it will be too late.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
every time I see one at the moment it all seems to be anti-Brown/Clegg and pro Cameron. It's mainly taking swipes at the other parties.

Why are they doing this? What do they get out of it?

Picked up a copy on the train today and they've even got the bloody Page 3 girls slating the current Government.

What are they trying to achieve? Is it always like this in the run up to an election?

You have finally managed to surpass your naivety in all football related matters :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here